S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with A/C problem: need part ID?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021 | 03:14 PM
|
Default New member with A/C problem: need part ID?

I have a 2006 S-Type 2.7D SE. My A/C has not worked since I bought the car (December 2020). Mechanic who fitted my cambelt last week says I need a 'low pressure a/c pipe.'
I cannot find anything called this and have looked everywhere! Can anyone tell me the proper name of the part I need please? Desperate!

Victor...

Old 06-21-2021 | 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Victor_NG17
I have a 2006 S-Type 2.7D SE. My A/C has not worked since I bought the car (December 2020). Mechanic who fitted my cambelt last week says I need a 'low pressure a/c pipe.'
Welcome to the forum.

What was the problem with this pipe? Was it leaking? If you can't find a replacement, there are many places that can repair old pipe assemblies. Typically they will fit new flex lines and keep the existing end fittings. They can also fabricate new lines completely from scratch, too. I've had this done (both methods) on several older cars. It's usually not very expensive, either.

Here's a basic diagram of the AC system:

From your mechanic's description, I think he's talking about the line between the thermal expansion valve and the compressor.

Old 06-22-2021 | 06:53 AM
|

From what I know, the filller nozzle will not latch onto one of the valves. I have been told I need the 'low pressure pipe' and that is all I know. I need to know EXACTLY what that pipe is actually called so I can look for one! Nobody seems to know what it's called: somebody somewhere knows...

Old 06-22-2021 | 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

From what I know, the filller nozzle will not latch onto one of the valves.
Okay, making some progress. Is this the low pressure service port? If not leaking, you may be able to leave the system as is and service the system via the high pressure side only. This requires a different method than usual, but it can be done. Heck, some cars (Audi for example) didn't even have a low pressure service port. All servicing was done via the high pressure side. The important thing to remember is do not run the engine while filling.

I have been told I need the 'low pressure pipe' and that is all I know. I need to know EXACTLY what that pipe is actually called so I can look for one!
Try looking here to determine which pipe you need. From your description, I THINK you need item #1, but am not positive. If not what you need, look at #5 and #8 also:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Click on the item in the list to the right. You will be asked to select your engine and VIN. The results will give you a Jaguar part number, typically starting with XR. You can then shop around with that part number. The OEM part number will get you more specific results than any nomenclature.

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021 | 09:03 AM
|

Thanks for the info

VIN is N746**
Vehicle is a 2006 2.7D V6 SE

All I was told was 'low pressure pipe' by the mechanic. I have since asked 3 mechanics the proper name for the parts I need and none of them has been able to give me an answer (in fact 2 have not even replied).

Old 06-22-2021 | 09:08 AM
|

Pipe is not leaking btw. AC has not blown cold since I bought the car in December 2020. I never knew the AC had a problem until I MOT'd my car last month and asked the garage to regas my AC. They said it will not take the nozzle on one valve. Then I was told I need a 'low pressure pipe' !!! Nobody knows what a lowq pressure pipe is! Very very frustrating...

Old 06-22-2021 | 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Victor,
Karl has given you the answer in post #4 . . . the 'name' of the part is not the issue . . . indeed that which your mechanics have given you is as good as any and quite logical. As Karl has said, what is critical is the part number, and back this up by quoting your VIN to your supplier.

Cheers,

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 06-22-2021 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo
kr98664 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021 | 09:41 AM
|

He just called me and said 'Air Con pipe: cold side or cold pressure!'
Waiting on main dealer to ring him back with as price. Would it be this I need? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393163807606

Old 06-22-2021 | 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

I would not install a used part for this. Just too much risk of contamination from the old hose to your AC system.
Much better new or follow Karl's advice and have the rubber hose portion replaced on yours.

kr98664 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021 | 12:09 PM
|

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I would not install a used part for this. Just too much risk of contamination from the old hose to your AC system.
Much better new or follow Karl's advice and have the rubber hose portion replaced on yours.
I'm buying new: just need to ID the correct part! It's alright someone suggesting 'you know the part' when I actually do not know the part! There are also 2 part numbers for the 'Air Con Pipe' on a 2.7D. I am assuming that the pipe I need is actually just called 'Air Con Pipe' ( number 5 here: https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/ ). Sorry if I sound edgy! Been getting nowhjere for 4 days with this problem with 3 mechanics and the car showroom I bought the car from. Only one of them has been helpful. Just want this sorted! Thanks...

Old 06-22-2021 | 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

I'm buying new: just need to ID the correct part! It's alright someone suggesting 'you know the part' when I actually do not know the part! There are also 2 part numbers for the 'Air Con Pipe' on a 2.7D. I am assuming that the pipe I need is actually just called 'Air Con Pipe' ( number 5 here: https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/ ). Sorry if I sound edgy! Been getting nowhjere for 4 days with this problem with 3 mechanics and the car showroom I bought the car from. Only one of them has been helpful. Just want this sorted! Thanks...
Looking at the drawing I’m inclined to think that you’re looking at pipe number 8.

item 8 is the evaporator input/output so it contains the high pressure line input from the condenser and then the low pressure line (suction) going to the compressor.

item 1 attaches to the compressor and has a one low pressure suction line coming from the evap line (#8) and it has a high pressure line going to the condenser.

Item 5 is labeled as the condenser output line. So that would be a high-pressure port going to the evaporator. So the only line that I think he could be talking about is item 8 which has both a high-pressure line as well as a low pressure line going to and from the evaporator.

High-pressure lines are smaller diameter than the low pressure suction lines. So if you look at item 9 which is a clamp you can see the big line goes through the right side of that clamp which has the bigger diameter.

but listening to what your mechanic described, and looking at the pictures of the lines I am wondering if he cannot connect to the line because he cannot find a fitting to connect to. I say this because I don’t see a fitting on the line that would have a Schrader valve that would allow you to measure the low pressure side. Perhaps he thinks that you need a low pressure line that has a low pressure port that he can connect his gauge set to?

I can find no reason for him to have a problem being able to connect to that line if he can find the service port on the line. Those connections are a quick disconnect type of connection if it’s an R1 34 system and they don’t typically go bad. The only thing that goes bad at the service ports are the Schrader valves that are installed in those and they are replaceable.

So ask your mechanic if the reason he cannot connect to the low pressure line is because he cannot find the low pressure service port. Or if the port is damaged so he cannot connect his gauges to it.

Normally you can see the service ports on the drawings of the lines but all I can see is the high-pressure port on the number 5 line

Last edited by Aarcuda; 06-22-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2021 | 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

By the way on my STR which is also a 2006, the low pressure suction line service port is on item one behind the front left side wheel inside the wheel well. But once again as I look at the drawing that you showed I do not see a service port on that low pressure line anywhere on the drawing.

If the reason is your mechanic cannot connect to the low pressure line is because he cannot find the low pressure service port tell him to look behind the front left wheel behind the wheel well liner as that is where it is on the V8. Once again I don’t see a service port for the low side depicted on the drawing anywhere

Old 06-22-2021 | 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

I'm buying new: just need to ID the correct part!

Sorry if I sound edgy! Been getting nowhjere for 4 days with this problem with 3 mechanics and the car showroom I bought the car from. Only one of them has been helpful. Just want this sorted!
We do not know the name of the part you need. How's that for a clear answer?

From the link in post #4 above, take that image out to your car. Match up what you have with the illustration. I do NOT know about the specifics on the diesel engine, but if it's like the other models, the low side service port is very close to the compressor. I would suggest raising the car on jackstands and crawling underneath to be sure. Once you locate the suspect valve, you can then match up that particular line to the parts diagram.

For ordering a replacement, I would not bother trying to order by name. From my brief research, different vendors have different names for the various pipes. Who knows what you will get. Use the Jaguar part number given at that link to get the correct part. Almost anybody selling parts, whether the dealer or aftermarket, will be glad to deal with an OEM part number versus trying to decipher some nomenclature.

Old 06-22-2021 | 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Watch this. It shows the low pressure line behind the front left wheel poking out under the wheel well liner.

I suppose the port could’ve been damaged by road debris which caused deformation which prevents a good connection but find out exactly why he can’t connect to it because I’m curious

https://youtu.be/TU2vUTMGq3Q

kr98664 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021 | 02:21 PM
|

The car has been in 2 x garages: one that did the MOT 2 weeks ago (garage 1) and one that replaced the cambelt last week (garage 2). Garage 1 has ignored 3 messages from me. Garage 2 is waiting to hear back from Jaguar. Thanks for the info guys: very helpful. Sorry I cannot be of more help. I am a guitar tech not a car mechanic...

PS: Both garages have said I have a knackered valve and cannot fit the the connectors (2 of) needed to regas the system: that is as technical as I can get as it's all I know...

Last edited by Victor_NG17; 06-22-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2021 | 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Okay... The OP is from GB and has posted his problem in a North America-centric forum. His model of "oil burner" was never sold here, so it is unlikely that forum members have actually seen his A/C configuration and hose routing. I would really suggest that rather then getting upset, the OP post his problem here:

S-Type (X200, X202, X204, X206) 1999 - 2008 | Jaguar Forum

There are several members on that forum who would be more knowledgeable on this model and are always willing to help...

Old 06-23-2021 | 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

I am a guitar tech...
No need to fret.

Unless you're replacing the inlays on a guitar neck. In which case, you will be fretting. Literally.

Please forgive me. I don't get to use that one very often. Moderators, I'll put myself in timeout and save you the trouble.

Old 06-23-2021 | 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
Okay... The OP is from GB and has posted his problem in a North America-centric forum.
Hmmm . . . I would suggest we are an international forum, but get what you intend. Many of these 2.7 V6 TTD S-Types were sold throughout Europe, Asia, Australia & New Zealand . . . indeed after 2005, pretty much everywhere ROW except NA, the issue being quality (read, lack of quality) of appropriate diesel supplies. I have precisely the same model here in Australia. However, what is more relevant is that the lines are the same, the low pressure valve is in precisely the position that Aarcuda revealed, and the detailed advice provided by Karl, is spot on.

To Victor . . . your revelation of a "knackered valve" would have been better stated right up front. I suggest you ask your mechanic whether, to enable his connections, you need to just supply/fit kust a replacement valve, or whether you need just that final part of the low pressure line. I find it hard to believe that you need the entire line if it is just the valve that has been "knackered".

Best wishes,
Ken

kr98664 (06-23-2021)
Old 06-24-2021 | 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

I think Aarcuda is close?
This diagram from the JTIS is the same as he posted .

But I think his problem is item #20. Which is labeled as a charge valve. Now it's not REAL clear BUT I think that is on item #5 which is called "Air Conditioning Pipe".
This is VIN specific but you did give us that up thread. Just to note Jaguar has 8 different part numbers for this hose depending on engine and VIN so it's a bit complicated.

So my best guess using the JTIS is XR855583 which Jaguar calls "Condenser Outlet". It's specifically listed for the 2.7L Diesel too. BUT again you need to see if this matches what's on your car or be prepared to return it.
Remember we are at a disadvantage as no Diesels in the US but I found a picture of this part number and it DOES have a charge port on it.

Looking further I do see a brand new one on the UK EBay site and at 100 GBP maybe not too expensive either? The picture in this auction looks like the right part but difficult to tell.
AC Pipe
It appears Jaguar still has it for around 125 GBP too.
So please use an online Jaguar parts locator and see if this part goes to your VIN according to Jaguar before ordering anything.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
JMBH (05-06-2024), kr98664 (06-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021 | 07:51 PM

This may be too late to help but I'll contribute in case the solution has not been found. The knackered valve is probably the low side service valve. This valve is one of two that are used for connecting equipment to the air conditioning system to evacuate or charge the system. On petrol S Types this valve is an integral part of one of the low pressure tubing assemblies in the front left side wheel well like mine and Aarcuda's. It appears from the JTIS diagram that 3.7 has the valve on the compressor block connection which can be seen as part of the #1 assembly just to the left of the retaining bolt #16. The Condenser Outlet discussed by clubairth1 in the previous post is on the high side, not the low side. It is possible that the replaceable internals of the valve are at fault but otherwise the entire #1 assembly will have* to be replaced.

*You could probably scab on a new valve port on to the existing assembly. Your (or mechanic's) call which is better.

P.S. If not on the #1 assembly the service valve is on the #8 assembly. I would look for myself but there are no 3.7s around here.

Last edited by Smeghead; 07-24-2021 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Post script