S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member here : need help and advise on my 2001 s-type

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

yes, everything is included. Just remember to open the two rubber receivers of the glass on the regulator. They come tightened and when I tried the first time to put glass into them and would not go in, I thought what the heck is going on. Daaaaa Also, a 8 or 10 MM socket wrench is used. And you have to take the speaker out after getting the panel off but I did not have to take the wiring off it, not necessary. Its very easy. Just four or five tabs that lift open and then it pops right off. Very hard to mess up here because the glass has to go into only one position to work because of framing of door it goes in. Might have to pull some of the rubber molding a little bit to get glass back in and had another person there to do this when putting glass back. So when you put glass into holders/receivers of regulator, thats where they go. After regulator is installed you can adjust the height it has to be in to put glass back with the control on the drivers side. Had my wife do this so it has to be easy right

Last edited by Amadauss; 09-16-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amadauss
yes, everything is included. Just remember to open the two rubber receivers of the glass on the regulator. They come tightened and when I tried the first time to put glass into them and would not go in, I thought what the heck is going on. Daaaaa Also, a 8 or 10 MM socket wrench is used. And you have to take the speaker out after getting the panel off but I did not have to take the wiring off it, not necessary. Its very easy. Just four or five tabs that lift open and then it pops right off. Very hard to mess up here because the glass has to go into only one position to work because of framing of door it goes in. Might have to pull some of the rubber molding a little bit to get glass back in and had another person there to do this when putting glass back. So when you put glass into holders/receivers of regulator, thats where they go. After regulator is installed you can adjust the height it has to be in to put glass back with the control on the drivers side. Had my wife do this so it has to be easy right
thanks for the info, this looks like the cheapest way to go, i hope the Lincoln regulators will hold on better. Thank you very much again

Old 11-13-2010, 08:10 PM

i want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, about 80% of the car problem is solved. the driver power seat started working on it's own, i bought a lincoln ls driver motor (which was way cheaper than the jaguar part) to fix the passenger side window. i'll update you guys when i get someone to help me open the rear passenger side door. This forum has been of a great help and thank you all again

Old 11-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another source of trunk water leaks

My S was getting small amounts of water in its spare tire well as well. Had a devil of a time figuring where it was coming from. I finally discovered that it was coming in through one of the license plate screws. The plastic block that the screw goes into had split wide open, and, it was letting a little water dribble in during a driving rain storm. A little dab of silicon cement to patch the crack fixed it.

Regards:
Oldengineer
06 S-Type VDP
10 Honda CRV
48 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Town Sedan

Old 11-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The water-in-the-wheel-well is all over the net as one which gets into some electrical wiring there. This wants sorting as it might fix those random problems. Early S-types were unreliable and badly assembled, also all over the net. Talk of a "lemon law" whatever that is. There's a story that Jag. brought in a german(!) to improve build quality, but I don't know how much truth there is in that one. Certainly, from 2005 on there seems to be a more normal reliability. My 2006 job has been ok, just had a lack of maintenance of ATF fluid as a nuisance more than anything.
Leedsman.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,360 Likes on 1,859 Posts

wiafs02:
Glad it's working out for you! Remember that the Lincoln LS window regulator will work for the front windows BUT not the rear. I would just change the entire regulator. Much quicker!! The replacement ones do seem to be higher quality in that I have not had a replacement break after repair. Some people on the Lincoln LS boards have reported multiple repairs.

What's interesting is the LS forum has 2 Lincoln factory engineers that post sometimes and they report the problem not being the regulator or the white plastic piece but that the window sticks to the rubber window seals. The bond is so strong that the window motor destroys the plastic piece when trying to open the window. If the window is used regularly then the bond does not have time to build up strength. This would tend to indicate the rear windows should have more problems. My rear window did break with almost no use at all on my 2003 LS but many LS and S Type owners have had front window problems to??

Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
wiafs02:
Glad it's working out for you! Remember that the Lincoln LS window regulator will work for the front windows BUT not the rear. I would just change the entire regulator. Much quicker!! The replacement ones do seem to be higher quality in that I have not had a replacement break after repair. Some people on the Lincoln LS boards have reported multiple repairs.

What's interesting is the LS forum has 2 Lincoln factory engineers that post sometimes and they report the problem not being the regulator or the white plastic piece but that the window sticks to the rubber window seals. The bond is so strong that the window motor destroys the plastic piece when trying to open the window. If the window is used regularly then the bond does not have time to build up strength. This would tend to indicate the rear windows should have more problems. My rear window did break with almost no use at all on my 2003 LS but many LS and S Type owners have had front window problems to??
Thanks for that info, you really saved me alot, i was thinking of buying a left rear lincoln ls window regulator to fix the back, well i guess i just have to save a little bit more and buy the Jaguar part. the Ls regulator for the right front window is working great so far, but it's louder than the old windws when operating, i dont know it the guy didnt glue back the inner covering.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
My S was getting small amounts of water in its spare tire well as well. Had a devil of a time figuring where it was coming from. I finally discovered that it was coming in through one of the license plate screws. The plastic block that the screw goes into had split wide open, and, it was letting a little water dribble in during a driving rain storm. A little dab of silicon cement to patch the crack fixed it.

Regards:
Oldengineer
06 S-Type VDP
10 Honda CRV
48 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Town Sedan
it's funny how the water find different ways to get there, and from the threads i read about it, almost every car have a different place the water enters. i plan to go in the trunk and have my friend pour lots of water on the car to know mine.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

One more thing I just thought of on the windows and regulators doing the repair, I remember reading someone said to also when closing the door, make sure the windows are in the closed position. I would guess this way the whole thing is not rattling around inside the door panel and kind of makes sense. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,360 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Amadauss;
You are correct. One little addition. Before closing any door make sure the window is all the way up or all the way down. This is just from many broken window regulators on the Lincoln LS forum. The factory never suggested this but it seems to be a good preventative thing to do.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Agreed. It's a smart thing to do for any vehicle, not just the S-Type. Close those windows before you open and close your doors. Maximum glass support translates to minimum component stress....

The following users liked this post:
starpilot76 (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just joined the forum and have regulator problems on all 4 doors. Happened pretty much at the same time for all 4 windows. I have the first year (2000) model of the S-Type. I LOVE MY CAR! I'll keep this one til the day I die, no matter the problems. I have 145,000 miles on mine with the usual problems.
Back to this particular problem. I have no answers since I have to yet to begin my "project", but I want to thank everyone invloved. Everyone's inputs will make it easier for me to fix the windows.
I look forward to being a member & participant in this forum.