S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member w/question about ignition coil boots

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member w/question about ignition coil boots

Hello. I've just been browsing the forum a bit and it looks like I came to the right place for knowledgeable folks.
I'm a Honda man myself, but my parents have a 2000 S Type V8 with ~80Kmi on it. I took the car in because of symptoms that, based on what I've read here and what the mechanic said, seems to be the coil misfire problem. And they said it needs new spark plugs, which by now it ought to.
I was quoted $470 for replacing the boots and the plugs. Is this reasonable?
Also, how hard is it to do? My parents are retired, so if I can save them most of that $470, I'd like to. My Honda is extremely easy to work on. It takes about 4mins to replace plugs. I have yet to put wrench to this car though. So far, it has the stuck transmission problem (can't park it on a hill w/o hand brake on before taking your foot off the brake) I've read is common, it's had two window regulators die, and it smells burning oil in the cabin which I was told by the dealer was warped valve covers.
If I can helpmy parentsout with the easy stuff, it would be a relief. So, is the coil boots/plugs easy stuff?
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Default RE: New member w/question about ignition coil boots

I'd say it's easy but it may not be for everyone. It depends on the ability of the person doing the work!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did it on my 2000 V8 with basic hand tools in my garage, it took about and hour and a half, but I took my time. $470 does seem high for just boots and plugs, I replaced all 8 coils and plugs for only $270. As usual for most V8 cars the plugs and coils nearest the passenger cabin are the hardest to get to but they aren't as bad as some I've worked on.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:21 PM

I told them to go ahead because I didn't have time to get it done myself before my parents got back. They had the car for 3 days with no word so I called them and they said after replacing the boots and plugs (platinum [:@]) it didn't solve the misfiring, so they spent hours trying to track it down and eventually found they had to replace the coils, which they did, and wanted another $800+ for. I told them no thanks, and that they should've called me and I could've saved them the labor.

Is it possible for 6 coils to be bad and not get a check engine light? Looks like I'll be doing this one myself. I would usually pay the shop since they did the diagnosis, but not if they're going to (allegedly) doa bunch of stuff, then tell me after the fact instead of communicating with me before doing work and not asking me which plugs I wanted.

It's the first time I used the shop, so I'm not sure about their trustworthiness. Is there anything I should look at before the coils? On the bill it says the replaced the PCV valve, and I read in another post on here there's another breather hose to check. Anything else?
There isn't a DIY on this floating around is there?
TIA

Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 PM

Irecently replaced all 6 of the coils in my 2000 3.0 stype, took maybe 2 hours of work.... I was recieving MAJOR missfires in 3 coils and never got a single check engine light. Also while your tearing the beast apart, check all of the plastic/rubber hoses and Ts. When I was unplugging things my hand slipped and caught an overflow hose and the brittle T fell apart,was an easy fix though. Just went to HomeDepot and bought another plastic T and placed some hose clamps on it. Just be carefull! These older cars break much easier, Ive replaced most of the plastic parts on mine.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: ohsigmachi

I did it on my 2000 V8 with basic hand tools in my garage, it took about and hour and a half, but I took my time. $470 does seem high for just boots and plugs, I replaced all 8 coils and plugs for only $270. As usual for most V8 cars the plugs and coils nearest the passenger cabin are the hardest to get to but they aren't as bad as some I've worked on.
I can't find coils for less than $550. Where did you get them so cheap? tx

Old 11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pokerplayer

ORIGINAL: ohsigmachi

I can't find coils for less than $550. Where did you get them so cheap? tx
I got'em on ebay, they were pretty much identical to the fords that came out.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 PM

Thx. Which Fords share w/the S Type?

Old 11-25-2008, 01:17 AM

make sure you call the seller to ensure the coil height are not too high i ordered a set of dg515 they were idenical but were sitting to high about 1/4 inch high they then sent me exact same coil but was shorter and fit perfect. car runs top notch now

Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pokerplayer

Thx. Which Fords share w/the S Type?
LINCOLN LS, BUT DONT GET CAUGHT WITH YOUR PANTS DOWN, THERE ARE ALOT OF BOTH SMALL AND BIG DIFFERENCES

Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 PM

Cool, thanks. I ended up ordering the Jag ones because I need them ASAP. I got them for $335, so I did find a better price.

Next parts I need I'll check here if I can use the LS parts.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 AM

Got them yesterday, and my brother and I put them on. I was relieved at how easy it was, I've heard many stories of how Ford (and GM/Chrys.) make easy jobs hard with poor design. Hardly needs it, but I took pics for a DIY;

Driver's side

Remove the PCV valve, oil dipstick, and the bolts holding whatever that black cylinder is. The bottom bolt you can't really see in the pic, but it's there. There's a hose you may want to remove but don't have to to get to the nut. There's another hose with a whitish connector that does need to be removed. You'll see it better in another pic.
Then remove thewirecover. There are six bolts, two in this side are a PITA. 7mm socket, and I used both a deep well and regular. Deep well was mainly just for ease, but you definitely need the regular socket for a few.

Passenger side.

Much easier except the bottom left bolt. A real PITA to get to.Once you get it loose, you'll have to remove by hand (finger) to get it all the way out. Even more fun putting back in.Pre-skinning your kuckles may or may not help. At least there's nothing that needs to be moved.

Driver's side

You can see the coils now. First one is already removed. The bolts holding them in are on the top, between the plug wires. You can see the whitish connector that you need to remove from the black thing better here. Unbolt the coils. Remove the wire/coil connector by pushing down on a tab and pulling. Better view in next pic. Then pull out coil (boot should come with it). Remove in 1(fr)-2-3-4 order, replace in reverse order.

Passenger side

This side the bolts holding the coils in are on the bottom (still between wires and coils). You can see the tab on the wire connector better here. You'll need to have the first 3 to get the last one (cabin side) out. When replacing, you'll need to replace and tighten that one first, so you can fit the ratchet in the space.

View w/coil out:

If you have an extension for your wrench, you can pull the spark plugs and inspect/replace. Use tiny amt of anti seize on threads if you replace the plugs.

Coil (fat part) and boot (rubber part) as it should come out:

A couple boots wanted to stay in, but they came out pretty easily.

Last edited by Pokerplayer; 02-26-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 PM

i have a misfire in cylinder #4 in my 2002 Jaguar s-type, V8. does anyone know the cylinder positions for our engines? i might attempt to change it myself, if the location is possible for me to reach. thanks

Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

back cylinder passenger side is #4

Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Pokerplayer....just wanted to say thanks for that writeup! We have had many issues with coils so your pics really help clear up some questions.