S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New menber with 2000 S Type 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New menber with 2000 S Type 4.0

I have joined this forum with hopes that I can get some help with my 4.0 V8 Jag. It has 110k miles and was running very good until recently. I do all my own work on the car and am an experienced engine mechanic. A few days ago I tried to start the car but it suddenly acted like it had no compression. There was no unwanted noises, just the engine turning over very quickly like the spark plugs had been removed.

I assumed a slipped or broken timing chain so I pulled the intake manifold and valve covers off. The cams are in time and the timing chains are OK and tight. The variable valve timing setup looks mechanically OK.

The valves appear to be are clean because of detergent gasoline in USA and I also run injection cleaner through it regularly. I have looked at the valve sealing surface and it looks very good. I cannot see the seat. I did a compression test and all of the cylinders read 30 lbs of compression or less....very strange.

I have checked the valves on a cylinder of each bank by first' making sure they are closed by setting cylinder on TDC then checking cam to cup clearance at .007 inches. Then I poured about an ounce of rubbing alcohol into the intakes ports. It does not run out but seems to just sit there. So far, so good. Then I put about 100 lbs of air pressure into the cylinder. It should turn the motor over, but instead bubbles come up through the alcohol indicating leakage of the intake valves. The exhaust valves my be leaking also but for now I can't tell.

Upon inspecting the leakage I can clearly see it is coming from all the way around both valves on the cylinder I am checking. This indicates to me that the valves are not bent. They seem to be open maybe a few thousandths of an inch. The springs are good and the buckets are free to rotate at TDC so they are not stuck.

I have rigged up a wire brush on the end of a wire and cleaned the valve and seat the best I could with no change. Right now I am debating whether to pull the head or not. I am concerned that if I do a complete valve job, get it running again the same problem will reappear.

I am hoping for someone out there who has had a similar experience and can help me understand why this is happening. I have tried oil in the cylinder, but it did not help.

Paul

Old 03-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Welcome, this area where you posted is mainly for interaction . For questions you can post your queries using S Type Forums or General Tech Help

Old 03-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there, welcome to the site
As Caddie says, the new members section is obviously primarily for welcoming newbies to the site.
You have posted a technical question, which you're unlikely to get much help from here.....
I have moved this to the "general tech help" section to se if you can get a better response.

Good luck