Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rotors needed ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I don't understand the fascination with drilled and slotted rotors. They don't stop any better than plain rotors and in theory don't stop as well due to reduced surface area.
I got mine for strictly aesthetics reasons only. If you need them to improve your stopping with an STR then you need to get your brakes checked. I just think they look nicer.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Doesn't the STR stop in like 109 feet from 60mph? I think we could give up a foot or two for better looks.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by fergs03R
This is really just an fyi,, and my experience..I just completed the full front and rear install of the brakeperformance dimpled and slotted rotors.

I put on the standard semi metalic pads(included when you buy the premium rotors)

I bedded the pads and have driven now 300 plus miles. The good news is that the dust is easily 75% less

The bad news is that I am returning these rotors.

I am fully aware that cross drilled and or slotted or combos are noisier then normal rotors, I have installed on all my cars in the past.

However these are so unbelievably noisy, i thought there was something wrong at first. I removed and rechecked but all was good. I then put the car on a lift and ran it an braked to check the noise and its just these rotors.
as each slot passes the leading edge of the pad, the resulting noise could mostly be described as touching a house fan blade while its spinning. or perhaps when a kid sticks a straw into his spokes whil they are riding. Its an embarassing sound to be honest

Brake performace indicated that i needed upgraded pads but I disagree as this is not pad noise, like squealing or such from an inferior pad.

They do have great service i admit, and the end result is that they agreed to replace with the cross drilled only.

SO if anyone else is/was considering these,, just a heads up.
That's cool they are providing good customer service to you.

I'd bet money that one or both of the rotors are not straight. I've received brand new warped rotors before, straight out of the box. Heck I think it is Centric that even says to check for warpage (also called "runout") before you install....or maybe that was EBC.

I had a goofy rotor on the Jeep - loud as heck. Swapped for the same rotor model - quiet. These were EBC slotted/dimpled.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are planning on doing the performance driving school thing, then I would stay away from drilled rotors. I'll bet I get some disagreement here but drilled rotors stress crack from the heat much more quickly than solid or slotted. For street use, they would be fine. I haven't noticed additional noise from slotted rotors however this could be true. I have been an HPDE driving instructor for longer than I'd like to say and most of the track guys will tell you that slotted is good, but drilled are a cosmetic item and there is nothing to gain, and possibly a shorter lifespan from the rotor. If you contact "Brembo" or "StopTech" concerning rotors, you will likely get the same story.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't understand the fascination with drilled and slotted rotors. They don't stop any better than plain rotors and in theory don't stop as well due to reduced surface area.
It's called personal preference. I'm sure you have some of your own? Why do so many high end cars come with them?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
It's called personal preference. I'm sure you have some of your own? Why do so many high end cars come with them?
Yes I understand the personal preference idea, and yes I prefer blue over pink as an example of my preferences as colours for a car. I don't push my choices forward as being 'better' however. Many buyers install slotted/drilled rotors because they believe they are 'better' not just 'different' or a matter of 'personal choice'.

I don't know why some high end cars come with slotted/drilled rotors, with one notable exception. Do you?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,936 Posts

It's style over substance, isn't it?

Old 04-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Style and substance - a consumer car these days obviously needs both. Maybe drilled rotors are enticing to a gearhead (real or pretend) , be they valid "performance" enhancers or not...they look the part.

Do most cars need a rear spoiler? Me thinks not, downforce isn't a big issue for most commuter cars yet we see them with all manner of wings, spoilers, scoops, etc. But some cars do benefit from them - remember the first gen Audi TT getting tail happy at high speeds?

Therefore, part of me thinks that there is room in the engineering discussion for a stance that cross drilled rotors have a valid place based on certain uses or vehicle characteristics. The other part, having had slotted, cross drilled, dimpled, etc. in the past on various vehicles and finding them to be underwhelming for the most part and they seem to not last quite as long as solid vented rotors...says "meh"...just marketing appeal.

But they sure do look kewl....

Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree wholeheartedly that they certainly do have a cool factor. I don't know if 2 piece rotors with the aluminium centers are available for the jag. Expensive but they would probably be a performance improvement because of the lighter weight (unsprung weight) and much greater heat resistance. Guess the only limit to this stuff is the size of your bank account.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by matty427
...... they would probably be a performance improvement because of the lighter weight (unsprung weight) and much greater heat resistance.
Again, we've crossed the bridge from 'personal preference' to unsubstantiated 'they're better'.

That was my point above.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes I understand the personal preference idea, and yes I prefer blue over pink as an example of my preferences as colours for a car. I don't push my choices forward as being 'better' however. Many buyers install slotted/drilled rotors because they believe they are 'better' not just 'different' or a matter of 'personal choice'.

I don't know why some high end cars come with slotted/drilled rotors, with one notable exception. Do you?

I just think they look great on any performance car, that's why I have them. But it was a serious question, I know that they are supposed to dissipate heat more quickly but I don't recall ever seeing a degredation in brake performance with them.