Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S-Type owner saying hello!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile How I came to like the S-Type

Hello S-Type enthusiasts!

I just became a first-time S-Type owner and am quite enamored with the car, so I'm here to vent my enthusiasm among like-minded individuals.

It's a 2006, 3.0, black with tan interior. Very well maintained (mostly dealer), garage kept, fastidious owner, etc. Wow, what a beautiful car and what a great car to drive!

Grace?
In spades!
Space? More than I expected!
Pace? Yes, even with "just" the six!!

It's not my first Jaguar -- I've had several XJ6s -- but I tend to be a serial owner of the same make and model car (e.g., close to a dozen Porsche 944s and Lotus Esprits), and was ready for something different, something I hadn't had before. I've enjoyed many cars, but they -- even the XJs -- were of a different flavor than the S-Type. This car is definitely a break from the philosophical norm for me: In terms of my automotive enthusiasm, what I tend to like in or about cars, I'm not the S-Type "type"!

The search for a new daily driver

While I am a serious gearhead with an addiction to old European sports cars, what we were looking for here was a new everyday car. We have space (family) and fuel consumption requirements, safety is a priority, and it would be nice to have a car that is stylish and offers some sense of occasion.

Gestation

It took me a long time to warm up to the S-Type. I was one of those "it looks too much like a Taurus" people back when they first came out. Even when I owned a Jaguar and considered myself a fan of the marque, I wasn't interested in the S-Type. I saw lots of early ones (they seem to be abundant in Ohio) over the years, but scarcely ever saw a late (2005+) one.

Either way, one can't help but to notice when they do see an S-Type, and they all look good on the road, early or late. As the years went on, I have to admit, I began to enjoy more and more whenever I saw one pass.

Turning point

My perception of the S-Type began to change when I read this article:
Jaguar S-Type Review

This painted the cars in a new light for me, and began in me a curiosity about the later models, of which I knew nothing and of whose existence I was barely aware. I always buy used cars and always look for a good value, and I began to wonder if a later S-Type might be an overlooked "sleeper" on the "awesome car for reasonable money" scale.

I never had any doubt that the Jaguars of that era were excellent cars -- the X350 is a masterpiece that seemed somewhat overlooked -- and I think it was some time in the mid-late 2000s when Jaguar was ranked #1 by JD Power in quality ("Huge blow to British motoring tradition!" ); I just never saw or heard much about them to have them in mind.

Doing a little more looking around online, reading reviews and articles, I was surprised to see how many people described their S-Types as "the best car I ever owned," and how many repeat buyers there were. I got to experience the S-Type up close through a friend who has two of them, and while it was different from what I was used to (an X300 and a bunch of low, sleek cars) and not my cup of tea, I had to admit it deserved to be admired, the way one appreciates good music or art of a genre different from their own.

Fast forward to fall of 2014:

We're looking for another car. Mid-size, 30ish mpg highway, high safety ratings, reliable, tough, built to last, good quality materials, well made, resistant to rust, and an excellent value for the dollar. I could give all the wide variety of reasons why we ruled out every other car, but I'll cut to the chase and say I was ready for something fresh, and that for our budget, the S-Type came out on top. That it's a very stirring experience one can actually get excited about is just a huge bonus! I bought one very quickly.

And?...

If you've read this far, I hope you enjoyed my story of how I "came around" to S-Type ownership. Maybe there are others out there who have had similar thoughts or opinions of these cars. Maybe these words will resonate with someone and pique their curiosity to discover these cars like I did. If anyone is thinking about one, I'd be happy to share my selection process -- both the logical and emotional reasons for buying.

I think this car has bumped my level of enthusiasm for Jaguars up from "appreciative" to "I think I'll join the club." I look forward to spending some time in this section of the forum, reading your valuable input, and hopefully contributing too!

Cheers,

Tony K.

But enough typing; time for some pics! Unfortunately, as I've owned the car less than 24 hrs as of writing, and the weather was bad today, my photos are crappy night pictures, so I'll include a couple of the ad photos:

Attached Thumbnails New S-Type owner saying hello!-jag2.jpg   New S-Type owner saying hello!-jag6.jpg   New S-Type owner saying hello!-jag7.jpg   New S-Type owner saying hello!-img_20141002_203543302%5B1%5D.jpg   New S-Type owner saying hello!-img_20141002_215450474%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by Tony K; 10-03-2014 at 09:15 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tony K:
cinqueneuf (10-05-2014), Don B (10-03-2014), GT42R (10-04-2014), ONEsicJAG (10-05-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Tony, welcome to the forum, I am a Jag S Type newbie myself!

BUT, my goodness, TMI!

There is a welcome section for new forum members also.

Good luck with your S Type

Old 10-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Great post, and welcome to the world of S-type ownership!

Old 10-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great read! And welcome im also a new owner.. Had mine for 2mo. I love it! Get ready for the compliments..tho mine is very squeaky in the rear at low speeds over bumps. ( bushings I suspect) still love it

Old 10-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

great post! TTAC has some good articles, been reading it for years!

nice 06 man!

Old 10-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Welcome, and enjoy the car. Many of us acquired our S-Types for similar reasons to yours. When I grabbed ours in December 2008, my research indicated that it was probably the best bang-for-the-buck RWD highway cruiser sedan available. That's why we still own it, and it has not disappointed....

Old 10-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing! I wasn't looking for a modern Jag when I got my '06 S type R a few months back. I thought I was going for 95-97 XJS! I just went to look at the STR because it belonged to an older guy who was enthusiastic and had evidently taken great care of it, besides his wife was really charming!! It is with out doubt the greatest automotive purchase I've ever made. I am hooked and am actually looking for another, possibly 3.0 to use as a regular commuter as I don't want to pile too many miles on the STR (she only has 36k miles). Welcome to the forum!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Tony. I am also a newbie Jag owner and got mine at an auction, Which was a surprise I already posted about. But I do love the S Type and it is my first Jag. Looking forward to getting on the road and making long drives.