S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to S-type: What common issues exist?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011 | 02:24 PM
|
Default New to S-type: What common issues exist?

Hello All!

I a current x-type owner, and may be moving over to an S-type here shortly. I am looking at a 2005 3.0L S-type with 67K miles. It was a corporate lease up until 13K miles and sold as a certified pre owned vehicle on a lease up until now. It is immaculate on the exterior and interior, with all components seemingly working. I was curious #1: What the typical preventative main.. cost is on the s-type and #2: what common isses occur on the S-type with their "typical" corresponsing price to fix. I own an 02 x-type and have begun to have reliability issues. How reliable is the S-type etc???? I greatly appreciate ALL insight as I am new to the s-type. Thanks again!!!

The asking price was 11.9K ....the car dealer would sell for around 11.4K as he just repaired an air compressor and dryer....

Old 08-12-2011 | 03:27 PM

Here's something to look at, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...es-here-40522/

Check out the FAQ's for some ideas https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ype-faq-41364/

Good to hear the AC has been done, that crops up regularly, there was an upgrade to the compressor so hopefully it got that.

I'm sure Jon had another thread listing common faults, but I can't put my finger on it for the minute.

Take a look at info on IMT o rings, transmission fluid change, transmission electrical sleeve etc.

Old 08-12-2011 | 08:12 PM
|

Thank you! How does the S-type do in the snow? I live in southwest ohio, and we do get quite a good amount of snow in the winter, and I live in an area with lots of hills. I have only driven AWD, but am VERY conservative in the snow and do NOT go fast etc. Would snow tires help, or should i stick with an x-type????

Also: when I clicked the button that shows the fuel economy etc. It showed the instant fuel economy, but listed 8.2 as the average fuel economy..... That can't be possible right???? I maybe misread it, but i really tought it said 8.2 which would be a deal breaker if that's what the MPG is on the car....

Old 08-12-2011 | 08:21 PM

I'm not the guy to ask about snow, I live in Phoenix.

MPG around town is usually between 19-21.

Old 08-12-2011 | 08:32 PM
|

By chance would you have any ideas about the MPG I listed above. I was meaning to ask them about it...... I have been searching the forum, and not found anything yet.....

Old 08-12-2011 | 09:03 PM
|

Overall, i am slightly concerned at seeing 8.2 MPG.... How could that possibly be????? Once again, I may have read it wrong, but I am almost sure it said 8.2 on the average fuel economy screen. i was not on the instant fuel economy screen.....

Old 08-12-2011 | 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Either you misread the 18.2 for 8.2, or it had been reset and someone stomped on it for about 500 feet or so and turned it off.

Norri is correct this time a year you'll see 19/21 highway/city...

as far as faults again like norri said have a look in the FAQ section here, I have done write ups with pics of most of the "common" issues with the '05 3.0s.

As far as winter driving, I to cannot help that much as I live in the Charlotte area. I have read from our Canadian friends that there are no real issues if you are accustomed to rear wheel driving in snow. Now of course the AWD will handle much better.

Old 08-12-2011 | 11:12 PM
Default gas mileage 3.0

I have a 03 s type with 70,000 miles. Gas mileage stays in between 20 and 21.2 with 20.5 average. I have a standard transmission. I don't feel that it makes much of a difference . The parts that I have had to spend money on in last 8 months are suspension parts. Specifically:
1. Rt rear lower control arm, bushings worn out and not sold seperatly
2. Rt rear upper control arm, Ball joint was shot and 1 bushing was toast
3. Left rear lower control arm. 2 bushings to the point of sqeaking so bad it embaressed me.
4. Rt front upper control arm. Ball joint worn out. Getting ready to make the change, because Local dealer wants to take all of your money for easily solvable problems.
All of these fixes have resulted from loud groans and squeaks going over potholes and speedbumps at low speeds. All problems fixed now.

Inside I have rattle coming from top left of dash by demister. Have taken it out and put new foam tape, still no quiter. Will try some more troubleshhoting this week.

On the good side, I have the 5 speed and it is a joy to drive on the backroads. I traded an s 2000 for it and did not expect great handling, but this really surprised me. Great quiet Highway cruiser, except for the squeeks and vibrations occasionally.

Lines of car are gorgeous.
Couple of small issues.
1. all metal rim around doors and windows looks tarnished and needs to be removed and polished by a shop that knows how to do it, The overflow bottle is prone to leaks and is about 120 new. Dont buy used one.

Still for the price 7500 perfect appearance just problems listed. I would do it again.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
NapoKomplex (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011 | 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

my str gets around 20 around town, with upwards of 28 on the highway. if i run at 72 mph for 4 hours straight on moderate hilly roads, i have averaged 27-28 everytime (think of the PA turnpike between philly and pitt) i have done that trip a few times.

winter driving in the STR..............yeah i was running extreme summer tires, that were meant for 40 degrees and above.....it didnt like the snow....hence why i garage it now for the winter. now granted i HAD f1 goodyear eagles on it....POS tires if you ask me.

Old 08-13-2011 | 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by mikewv100
I have a 03 s type with 70,000 miles. Gas mileage stays in between 20 and 21.2 with 20.5 average. I have a standard transmission. I don't feel that it makes much of a difference . The parts that I have had to spend money on in last 8 months are suspension parts. Specifically:
1. Rt rear lower control arm, bushings worn out and not sold seperatly
2. Rt rear upper control arm, Ball joint was shot and 1 bushing was toast
3. Left rear lower control arm. 2 bushings to the point of sqeaking so bad it embaressed me.
4. Rt front upper control arm. Ball joint worn out. Getting ready to make the change, because Local dealer wants to take all of your money for easily solvable problems.
All of these fixes have resulted from loud groans and squeaks going over potholes and speedbumps at low speeds. All problems fixed now.

Inside I have rattle coming from top left of dash by demister. Have taken it out and put new foam tape, still no quiter. Will try some more troubleshhoting this week.

On the good side, I have the 5 speed and it is a joy to drive on the backroads. I traded an s 2000 for it and did not expect great handling, but this really surprised me. Great quiet Highway cruiser, except for the squeeks and vibrations occasionally.

Lines of car are gorgeous.
Couple of small issues.
1. all metal rim around doors and windows looks tarnished and needs to be removed and polished by a shop that knows how to do it, The overflow bottle is prone to leaks and is about 120 new. Dont buy used one.

Still for the price 7500 perfect appearance just problems listed. I would do it again.

Mike
i read your post about replacing the upper and lower control arms on the rear of your S-type. I have the same issue as my squeks like hell in the rear. I had my mechanic look at the rear and all the bushings are shot. I did some research and it seems no bushing replacements. So it looks as if i have to replace the control arms.

Do you know of any places i can get them for a decent price aftermarket?

Old 08-13-2011 | 07:11 AM
|

Thanks for the info! By chance do you remember what the cost of parts and work ended up being. I know the dealership well, but have begun to take my car to independent luxury mechanics......

Old 08-13-2011 | 07:23 AM

In the last Month I have had to replace

Front Upper controls (Both Side)
Lower Ball Joints (Both Side)
Outer Tie Rods(Both Side)
Sway Bars (Both Side)
Wheel Hub Assembly (Both Side)

Now trying to get back done as the rear squeak like crazy anyone know any places on the net I can order the back control arms, or where i can get bushings from, my car squeaks like crazy, doesnt sound like a Jag right now

2002 S-type 3.0 MONEY GREEN, 86K MILES

Old 08-13-2011 | 08:32 AM

Couple of small issues.
1. all metal rim around doors and windows looks tarnished and needs to be removed and polished by a shop that knows how to do it,
Mike,

Have you looked in the FAQ.s? Rick (Joycesjag) did a write up on removing and refitting these strips.
Matching up a good polisher with removal refitting may not be so easy.

Old 08-13-2011 | 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jaguarnewbie2011
Thank you! How does the S-type do in the snow? I live in southwest ohio, and we do get quite a good amount of snow in the winter, and I live in an area with lots of hills. I have only driven AWD, but am VERY conservative in the snow and do NOT go fast etc. Would snow tires help, or should i stick with an x-type????

Also: when I clicked the button that shows the fuel economy etc. It showed the instant fuel economy, but listed 8.2 as the average fuel economy..... That can't be possible right???? I maybe misread it, but i really tought it said 8.2 which would be a deal breaker if that's what the MPG is on the car....
I live near Montreal and my S-type is my year round car. Forget trying to go anywhere on all-season tires. Four top quality winter tires are mandatory!

For the fuel economy, someone may have hit the reset button recently and it will take a while for the reading to represent a true average

Old 08-13-2011 | 02:56 PM

The bushings are available from a company in England. There are 3 on each of the lower arms. The 2 small ones are the ones that go bad. They are about 100.00 each including shipping. The large bushing usually do not require replacing.

Racing Green Cars - Jaguar Parts Shop

Here is link.

There is an ebay seller EUROMARQUE that specializes in Jaguar part and his prices are reasonable. Ed is owner and is very knowledgeable. He has a ton of OEM parts at significant discounts.

Originally Posted by NapoKomplex
i read your post about replacing the upper and lower control arms on the rear of your S-type. I have the same issue as my squeks like hell in the rear. I had my mechanic look at the rear and all the bushings are shot. I did some research and it seems no bushing replacements. So it looks as if i have to replace the control arms.

Do you know of any places i can get them for a decent price aftermarket?

The following 2 users liked this post by mikewv100:
mikestype (07-19-2012), NapoKomplex (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011 | 10:13 PM

I've used michelins all-season tires on my STR and was rather surprised by how well it handled in the snow the first time. Once it gets really packed down though, it gets a bit difficult to get going but I think I had sport tires still on at that time.

Old 08-13-2011 | 10:14 PM

Thanks Mike

Old 08-14-2011 | 01:06 PM
Default Winter driving

I found the best way to live with an s type in the winter. Leave it in the garage and have a front ot 4 wheel drive car!!

Originally Posted by phaelax
I've used michelins all-season tires on my STR and was rather surprised by how well it handled in the snow the first time. Once it gets really packed down though, it gets a bit difficult to get going but I think I had sport tires still on at that time.

Old 08-14-2011 | 01:09 PM
Default repairs

I agree. I have removed a couple that were coming off and reattached with red 3m double stcik tape and had no problem removing and replacing. I have not found a local place where I live that does this. It is still low on my list of minor repairs on my car. By the way, I would like to strangle the designers of this car. Nothing could be more difficult to work on

Originally Posted by norri
Mike,

Have you looked in the FAQ.s? Rick (Joycesjag) did a write up on removing and refitting these strips.
Matching up a good polisher with removal refitting may not be so easy.

Old 08-14-2011 | 01:47 PM

I found the best way to live with an s type in the winter. Leave it in the garage and have a front ot 4 wheel drive car!!
Snow tires or four season tires?

Quick Reply: New to S-type: What common issues exist?