S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New STR

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New STR

I have had for about a week a new to me 2003 STR. Complete with navigation and premium audio.
I have lots of questions but some are more pressing than others.

I am searching the forums, but if you can point me to one I haven't seen yet it would be much appreciated.

I am new to Jaguars, this is my first one. I am not very good mechanically, but some things I may be able to manage with limited time and very limited tools.

So, the check engine light is on, I haven't had the codes pulled. Is there a way I can have the car show me the codes. I had a jeep that i could flip the key a few times and it would show me the codes. Is that possible or do i need a reader to hook into OBDII?

Second, Today I was dinking around with the headlights that are pointing at the ground and noticed I smelled gas. I would assume thats not normal, but again I am new to Jags.

When I had the key in accessory i heard a whining noise coming from what seemed to be under and towards the front of the supercharger. Not sure whats up.

I have noticed some oil or fluid just under and around the supercharger. Normal? not normal? according to the person I bought it from he had it replaced recently. I am still trying to contact that shop and track down those records.

Also he said the check engine light comes on because he installed an after market intake. Am i looking at a mass air flow sensor issue?

I will continue to search the forums, but I am new to all this.

I love the car, its fast, fun and sexy doin it. I did try my hand at a good 0-60 test last night and clocked in at 11.90s. Terrible for this car im sure.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mfoucalt. You didn't say what the mileage was on your STR, but I hope your shortage of tools and skills is not matched by a shortage of bucks. You will love the car, but it needs to be maintained.

You will need an ODBII code reader like the Elm or Ultragauge, but they are not expensive. Check eBay.

For drooping headlights, check here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ype-faq-10745/

I'll let others chime in about your other problems. Your 0-60 time needs a LOT of improvement!

Old 04-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

You really need to DIY the car or you will spend a ton of money on it. You have a number of problems already and they need to be fixed.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robinb
Welcome to the forum Mfoucalt. You didn't say what the mileage was on your STR, but I hope your shortage of tools and skills is not matched by a shortage of bucks. You will love the car, but it needs to be maintained.

You will need an ODBII code reader like the Elm or Ultragauge, but they are not expensive. Check eBay.

For drooping headlights, check here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ype-faq-10745/

I'll let others chime in about your other problems. Your 0-60 time needs a LOT of improvement!
Great thanks. I will look into it.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfoucault
..... So, the check engine light is on, I haven't had the codes pulled. ......
Welcome to the forum Mfoucault,

When you get the codes read, post the actual codes (not the descriptions) for more information.

Generic code lookup code tables are often very misleading when it comes to Jaguars.

Graham

Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Congrats on your STR.

Get the code reader. It's indispensable. You can pick up a Bluetooth version for about $25 on eBay and use your smartphone to read it. You'll need an app like odbii reader installed.

Also find an Indy that you can trust to do the work beyond your capabilities. Check the regional forums for suggested Indy shops in your area.

And this board is a great resource for knowledge and help.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats. I have the same beast and when first arrived at home new was doing 0-60 in around 5.5 mark, so yours needs some lovin'. My biggest issue has been and is the infernal low gear lurch which hundreds of fellow S type owners have been dealing with. ZF screwed the pooch on this one. I got shafted by Jag Corporate when it refused to replace the tranny when the car was still under warranty claiming " software" issues and only a year after warranty expired mysteriously determined that it is showing a "mechanical failure". Doesn't really effect things other than being annoying and loud especially when it's hotter outside. Other than that, regular minor issues, nothing too pricey. 12 years later I am still getting people taking photos of it on the street. It's such a beautiful machine.