Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Tires Yesterday

Hi

I decided to try the Yokohama 225/55R16 95V AS530 BLK. Wanted the Pirelli P7 but the Big O tire dude said these were better. I'm sure it because he makes more margin of the Yokies but they look good none the less. I had Kellys on before and wont go back. Much better cornering with these but they seem a bit stiffer, harder than the Kellys. Will let you now what I think after some miles.

Tim

Attached Thumbnails New Tires Yesterday-photo-4.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Very nice! Sharp looking wheels too. I too am ready to replace my tires so I'm anxious to hear your comments after you've put a few miles on them.

Make sure you get the car aligned according to the modified specs posted on this Forum, as the factory specs cause front tires to wear prematurely on the inside edges.

I've attached a .pdf which someone else posted; it contains the revised alignment specs.

Good luck!
Steve

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S-Type Alignment.pdf (437.1 KB, 183 views)
Old 12-06-2013, 04:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Yokohama has always been a great brand. I don't know if it was me or the tires, but the Pirellis I have run in the past always seemed to give me issues.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,391 Likes on 2,867 Posts

I put a set of Yokohama YK580 all-season tires on my wife's XK8 last year after researching tires for many months and reaching the conclusion that they were the best bang-for-the-buck all around. Very impressed with their treadwear life, wet weather capability, and quiet ride. Our S-Type's Dunlop SP Sport Signature tires (mounted in early January 2011) have been solid and still have plenty of life in them but when that car needs new rubber, I plan to put a set of YK580s on it as well. Only available at Discount Tire and America's Tire stores....

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Very nice! Sharp looking wheels too. I too am ready to replace my tires so I'm anxious to hear your comments after you've put a few miles on them.

Make sure you get the car aligned according to the modified specs posted on this Forum, as the factory specs cause front tires to wear prematurely on the inside edges.

I've attached a .pdf which someone else posted; it contains the revised alignment specs.

Good luck!
Steve

Thanks Steve. I did have an alignment done and the next day I read on here about the special specs. A day late. Won't make that mistake again. They gave me a print out and of course I threw that away. It was a pre-post report. I do remember the rear, I believe driver side was the only one in RED at 2.0 on the post report. He mentioned they couldn't get that any closer unless I did additional work be he thought it would be ok. When they took the Kelly's off I did see the inner side down to nothing while the rest was ok across the tire. He made mention that European cars have a tendency to bow unless there is a car full of people. He mentioned more people in car in europe than NA on average. He said he adjusted for weight for one driver so it wouldn't wear on the inside. Don't know if this I a bunch of fluff or not. Not sure what to do now.

Tim

Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Yokohama has always been a great brand. I don't know if it was me or the tires, but the Pirellis I have run in the past always seemed to give me issues.

Glad to hear that. I was under the impression Yokohama was more a discount cheaper tire. I guess I was wrong on that.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by sailing cowboy
Thanks Steve. I did have an alignment done and the next day I read on here about the special specs. A day late. Won't make that mistake again. They gave me a print out and of course I threw that away. It was a pre-post report. I do remember the rear, I believe driver side was the only one in RED at 2.0 on the post report. He mentioned they couldn't get that any closer unless I did additional work be he thought it would be ok. When they took the Kelly's off I did see the inner side down to nothing while the rest was ok across the tire. He made mention that European cars have a tendency to bow unless there is a car full of people. He mentioned more people in car in europe than NA on average. He said he adjusted for weight for one driver so it wouldn't wear on the inside. Don't know if this I a bunch of fluff or not. Not sure what to do now.

Tim
Sounds like a bunch of crock to me. Even if he weren't lying through his teeth, the weight of one average person vs. 2 or 4 is not enough to change the alignment settings all that much unless the suspension components (struts, most specifically) are worn out. If there were more people/weight in the car, the vehicle would "bow" even more than if there were less weight in the car causing even more negative camber and inner tire wear. The rear camber is not adjustable on your vehicle. If it is too far negative, then there are two likely suspension components worn down: struts and control arm bushings. I would check the rear suspension for play in the control arm bushings as well as consider strut replacement due to the age and mileage of the vehicle. I would try to get the alignment readings and post them here so we can see what is out of spec; as your new set of tires is likely to suffer the same fate as your last set with bad inner edge wear.

sailing cowboy (12-09-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Buy a Mercedes next time.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tony1963
Buy a Mercedes next time.
Because they never need new tires, right?

Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
Sounds like a bunch of crock to me. Even if he weren't lying through his teeth, the weight of one average person vs. 2 or 4 is not enough to change the alignment settings all that much unless the suspension components (struts, most specifically) are worn out. If there were more people/weight in the car, the vehicle would "bow" even more than if there were less weight in the car causing even more negative camber and inner tire wear. The rear camber is not adjustable on your vehicle. If it is too far negative, then there are two likely suspension components worn down: struts and control arm bushings. I would check the rear suspension for play in the control arm bushings as well as consider strut replacement due to the age and mileage of the vehicle. I would try to get the alignment readings and post them here so we can see what is out of spec; as your new set of tires is likely to suffer the same fate as your last set with bad inner edge wear.

I am going to get another print out of the specs. Hopefully they have a copy on the system. I have something new since the alignment. Seems like when I go over a slight bump, turning into laneways/driveways or over sewer covers on road ect, I hear a subtle clunk sound that I never had before. Feels like coming from front wheel wells. This alignment either exposed a problem that was there or something wasn't done right. I shouldn't have had Big O do the alignment.
I will post the alignment numbers when I get them back.