Sponsored by:

Newbe form South Africa.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 AM
J.C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbe form South Africa.

Hi everyone.
I have a few questions before I potentially purchase a post facelift 2004 S Type R.
First a little history:
I am from south Africa and had an e39 M5 BMW. To be honest, I couldn’t afford the maintenance on it and traded it in on my current 2007 Mazda MX5 2.0 GT. I am someone who likes a very good handling car, but can't really take the dealer's car around a track(which is where the Mazda excels) before deciding, so I don’t really know how it handles. Is it a boat?
However, I am longing for a powerful saloon again and I now have the opportunity to do a deal on one of 2 cars. Both are at separate second hand car dealers.

1st - Post facelift 2004 S type R, dark blue with cream interior with 170 000km on the clock for R 155 000.

2nd - Post facelift 2004 S type R, light metallic blue with black interior + sunroof with 108 000km on the clock for R 179 000.

Now my Miata is paid in full and I don’t really want to go into dept.
My options are the following;
1. Swop my MX5 straight up for the 1st car - Although this one has high mileage, I know the history of the car since it was driven by our CEO from day 1. The car had a gearbox replacement @ 140 000km and is in very good condition, but mysteriously has been on this dealer's floor for a year and a half. I guess these cars are hard sellers.
2. Trade my MX5 for the 2nd car and finance the R 30 000 that they want additionally. I don’t know the history of the car, but it is in even slightly better "visual" condition than the other one.

Both of them drive exactly the same, both FSH @ agents, both 100% std, both in great condition and everything works on both cars.
So which one should I go for? That R30 000 that has to be financed will quickly become irrelevant if one has a major breakdown. No motorplan on eiter of them.

I have read about the "Lurch", the aircon problem where it blows out hot air and the Xenons that don’t level out. Fortunately neither of these 2 cars has any of these problems.
Is there something else I should look out for on these specific STRs other than usual used car inspections? Jaguar support in south Africa is not great. BMW, Ford and Land rover is ok.
How expensive is something like brakes, shocks, SC belts?
Can it be converted to manual(not really a priority, but if something should happen to the horrible t'matic)?
The STR will be driven +/-3 - 4 out of the 7 days of the week since I have 2 other cars as well(none of them really suitable for DD however).

So many questions, but I hope to hear what I would like to hear and get the beast.
I asked a question on M5board of e39 M5 VS STR and got an expected biased opinion. Link: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-s-type-r.html

BTW - I don’t really drive a car for longer than 2 years due to terrible itching. lol
Regards,
Chris

Old 03-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Not a boat (read about CATS). No chance of a manual gearbox.
You'll need someone competent or DIY for servicing & any repairs - these are very hi-tech powerful cars.
Plenty of other info on here incl vs BMW but be creative as Search ignores 3-letter or shorter words!
Brake parts etc may be expensive where you are as who's gonna stock them?!
(The BMW parts probably are, too.)

The following users liked this post:
J.C (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:31 AM
J.C

Thanks jagv8. I usually do all of the wrench swinging myself, except when it involves any of the electronic wizardry.
This would be my first Jag, so I don’t know nothing on the specifics.
Like I said, I don’t want to do it, but would just have liked to know the possibilities of a MT.
Is there any reason not to buy this car? Compared to an e39 M5’s Vanos replacement, nothing is shocking anymore I.T.O part prices.
When you say Hi tech…… do you automatically mean troublesome?
There is still a jaguar division at our nearest Ford dealership, but don’t know for how long, considering the Tata ownership.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

They're generally quite good so that just leaves whether you happen to get a bad one. Unlikely but possible.
Maybe compare how good the support forums are? Owners seem the best source of data!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

J.C. I well understand your anxiety about parting with a big wedge of cash for a Jaguar. But in respect of running costs and repairs, they aren't going to be much different than that BMW you had, and you commented you couldn't afford the maintenance on it.
Running an exotic car is going to be costly -- maybe. You just don't know what's going to happen with your new-to-you Jag. Not too bad if you're handy with a spanner. But then not too good if you're wanting spares. Ok in Britain where there always seems to be a cheaper pattern-part available, but you're in S.A.
You'll not be disappointed at the way a Jag. goes and handles, especially an S-type R. And it does it with such silence, such grace. It's a two ton motor that seems like it weighs a third of that when you drive it. It's a heavenly experience, so much so that you will look forward to driving it, every time.
So...if I were in your shoes right now, I'd get your new car at the lowest price you can push for. If you're no good at negotiating, get someone to speak for you who is. That model you said had been hanging around for a year or more -- prime candidate for serious haggling -- he'll want shot of it. Saving a few thousand of those Rands may well go towards any unforseen repair bills -- right?
Leedsman.

The following users liked this post:
J.C (02-06-2013)
Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 AM
J.C

So which one would your gut say is the best?
The high mileage, cheaper, known history car, or the lower mileage, more expensive, unknown car?
What is considered high mileage for the STR?
BTW - i found out that the high mileage car was originally a press car. Would that be a source of concern or woudnt that be a dealbreaker?