S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with a couple of serious questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Newbie with a couple of serious questions

Hi I just bought my wife her dream car.. I know I know, However it has a couple of serious problems that I really need help with fast. I have search for a couple hundred pages and although I have seen some close to the same problems as mine but not exact.

Ok here goes.

2005 4.2 S-Type Non- Navi.
No matter what I set the tempo setting on only really hot heater air comes out. If I turn the ac button on I can hear the compressor click on and off, the freon was checked also. Now here is what really gets me, the Hot air barely comes out the vents. I can hear it roaring in the dash just not comming out the vents hardly at all.

Ok here's the second problem
From 1 mph to anywhereand beyond there is a grinding sound from rear end area. I almost think it is louder to passenger rear but not 100% sure.

The owner I bought it off forgot to mention this noise until after I recieved shipment and mentioned it and said it had had that noise every since he got the car in 2006.( seriouly I don't believe this unless he is a moron) Anyways it doesn't increase or decrease it is just loud. the transmission , rear end shifts and pulls smoothly.

Please help and be easy I know I messed up but the things we do for our wives..

Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Welcome! BTW, the 4.2 is a great car so don't let a few little things put you off.

The heat sounds very like the DCCV. (Tons of threads.) See what others think.

Does the noise vary with speed? How about if you brake - any change? How about if you go round each kind of corner - any difference at all? For all of these, have someone sit in the rear with both windows fully down. Have them change sides and repeat the various tests. (Again, see what others think.)

Another idea. You'll have the EPB (electric park brake) - paddle near the gear lever. With windows down and engine running (Park will do) and foot on the brake, listen as you alternately pull up and push down that EPB paddle (wait a few moments each time). You should hear the EPB motor as it applies and releases the brake. Sadly I don't think the noise guarantees all is 100% OK, but lack of noise promises a problem.

It's likely that neither fault is going to be very expensive (I hope I don't regret that!).

Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the reply I really hope your right!

The noise in the rear end never changes. I'll go try the park brake thing now.

The DVCC is that the climate control unit itself or the heater valve? I am confused on the two

My wife loves this car but can't ever ride in it do to the heat only comming out of it.. ((hight very hot heat)

Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Search is the answer but spell it right
DCCV

(yes, aka heater valve aka water valve)

If the noise never changes, it's not brake-related or indeed lots of other possibles (so, not bearings) - all of which would vary with speed. I'm stuck!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey welcome to the forum.

Did you buy the car sight unseen? Why if you did?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Yes I did buy it without driving it, Jaguar S-type a few and far between around here. Besides I guess I am just too trustworthy.

Update
I am getting ready to order this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Hope it helps with the heat issue.

I took the car out and rode around abit more today.

The sound in the rear end does get worse the faster you go.
When you first start out it is a bad grinding like when brake pads and rotors are completly gone. They look good however.
Then as you pick up speed the severe grinding is just a loud humming.

I hope me describing this helps others fiqure this out.

Thanks for all the help so far.
oh yeah with I apply the parking brake I can hear it.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Probably a rear bearing.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 PM

I really hope your right!
Is there a motorcraft cross over part number for it?

Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by achysklic
Hi I just bought my wife her dream car.. I know I know, However it has a couple of serious problems that I really need help with fast. Please help and be easy I know I messed up but the things we do for our wives..
Where in Ohio are you?

Old 02-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Portsmouth, Ohio

Is the the rear hub I would need to replace the bearing? It only shows 1 so would it fit either side?

Also what is the best was to check the wheel bearing? (jacking it up?)

Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 PM

I really need this fix asap.
I have search all over the net and all I can find for a rear hub assembly is this http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1824565.html

I have found most places sells just the rear bearing this one shows 3 pieces
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...n+%26+Steering

This is a one piece bearing http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...n+%26+Steering

I am so confused as to which to get. Can Somebody help!
I have read on here that you have to replace the whole assembly but nobody shows a whole assembly unless that first one I posted is it, but it just doesn't look right.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

You haven't actually diagnosed it yet as far as I can tell. You just want to throw parts at it?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

When you first start out it is a bad grinding like when brake pads and rotors are completly gone. They look good however.
Did you remove the tire and look at the inside of the rotor and the inside brake pads? Or are you just looking at the pad and rotor from the outside and assuming they are in good shape on the inside.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Yes I did buy it without driving it, Jaguar S-type a few and far between around here. Besides I guess I am just too trustworthy.

Update
I am getting ready to order this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Hope it helps with the heat issue.

I hope me describing this helps others fiqure this out.

Thanks for all the help so far.
oh yeah with I apply the parking brake I can hear it.
First do you hear the parking brake release as well. have you had the car up on stands with it in neutral and tried to spin the wheels. Make sure you chuck the front wheels well when you do this.

Second, can you make the pitch change with the gas pedal... almost as if you can play it like a musical instrument... That's the telltale sign of a bad diff....

Take care,

George

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I thought I had done some trouble shooting or atleast all I could think of. I clamped off the heater hose on the DCCV and it changed from blowing hot air to cold air so I fiqured that was a defective part. That's why I ordered a new one.

As for the rear end I drove around all day listening to the sound... It starts off as a grinding and smooths out but stays loud the entire time you are moving. I pulled the wheels off. Brakes and rotors looked good. There is no change in sound when the brakes are applied.

When I apply and release the parking brake I can feel it engage and disengage through the brake pedal. I can also hear it faintly.

If I am missing something to try please let me know. I don't want to run out and just buy parts and replace them. I honestly just feel about 90% sure it's a rear bearing.

My big question is now about should I buy just the bearings and replace them since I can't find the whole hub assembly.

All help is much appreciated

Old 02-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
First do you hear the parking brake release as well. have you had the car up on stands with it in neutral and tried to spin the wheels. Make sure you chuck the front wheels well when you do this.

Second, can you make the pitch change with the gas pedal... almost as if you can play it like a musical instrument... That's the telltale sign of a bad diff....

Take care,

George
Yes I am pretty sure I can hear the parking brake release.
I have not put it on jack stand and spun the wheels ( I'll try that tomorrw)
No I can make the sound change with driving conditions..My why calls the car a true Growler!

Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Portsmouth, Ohio

Is the the rear hub I would need to replace the bearing? It only shows 1 so would it fit either side?

Also what is the best was to check the wheel bearing? (jacking it up?)
Rats.. I was hoping you were closer than that...

I would do some more investigating. Not that it isn't a rear bearing, just they aren't popping up on here as being a common fault. Make real sure that there isn't any issues with the brakes first. One thing that happens is the rear parking brake acts up an causes the pads to drag on the discs. Look for funny wear on either the outside or inside of the rear rotors..

Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

A way you can check your bearing is to pull off the rim and the brakes and check the hub runout. Also when you have it at this point the hub should feel tight with no play if you grab the studs and try to move the hub up and down left and right. Brutal mentioned on a post I had a while back about the hub do sometimes bend. This would be confirmed with the runout test. I'll try and find the post if you are gonna do this cause he also listed what is spec cause just like backlash in a rear end there are parameters it has to be between.
Edit: Found the post the runout is .002" if its more then that then your hub have bent beyond spec.

Last edited by vance580; 02-08-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 AM

Thanks I'll try and jack it up and test the brakes better, I could have missed something it's really hard for me to bend down and inspect everything since half my spine is fused together

I'll also check the bearing play.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Newbie with a couple of serious questions

I'm going to try to cheer you up ! - Its quite possible that the noise at rear is the parking brake rubbing, mine does it occasionally, often worst after the car has been parked up for a few days. It also suddenly starts happening when I have been driving for a while - then suddenly disappears, it seems to happen less if I am using the car alot (as I write this it has not happened for a couple of weeks) - no rhyme or reason to it - I just put it down to the Gremlins that come as free issue with a Jaguar
I spent many ''happy hours' with the back of the car up trying to find out why ..... I gave up
So if you check everything out and all seems okay ... then you can join my gang and turn the Radio up !!
Ref your hot air - yep I had that as well .... The new DCCV 3 x pipe valve cured it. Wellcome to Jaguar world - when they are good THEY ARE GOOD !! When they are bad - their not quite so good

Quick Reply: Newbie with a couple of serious questions