S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie with a few questions on my new toy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default newbie with a few questions on my new Kitty!

hey guys

i would just like to start by saying that this site is just GREAT!!..i couldnt have found a better jagg site!

well i already have met with another fellow jagg enthusiest and he gladly sold me his vertini riviera rims!!

but i have a few questions to ask u guys
i already ordered a set of H&R lowering springs and i was wondering

1-when i install them should i install new shocks and struts too? and if i do that kind of struts/shocks do u guys reccommend?

2- im getting a lil bit of vibration on my steering wheel and a lil bit on my gas pedal..i guess there is a lil but camber wear on the tires from the previous owner...so i was wondering should i install hub centric rings?(to help absorb some of the vibration) or should i get a lil bit thicker tires? if i go getting new tires what size should i get so it wont rub on my fenders?

3-should i start using synthetic oil?

4- i got a whole bunch of other questions reguard my new kitty but i cant think of them right now lol

thx ahead for the advice and here are some before and after pics of the new shoes!

Attached Thumbnails newbie with a few questions on my new toy!-silver-whips-022.jpg   newbie with a few questions on my new toy!-silver-whips-023.jpg   newbie with a few questions on my new toy!-silver-whips-025.jpg  

Last edited by JimC64; 02-21-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: include full size pics in post
Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 PM

here are the new shoes

Attached Thumbnails newbie with a few questions on my new toy!-silver-whips-033.jpg   newbie with a few questions on my new toy!-silver-whips-036.jpg   newbie with a few questions on my new toy!-silver-whips-034.jpg   newbie with a few questions on my new toy!-silver-whips-031.jpg   newbie with a few questions on my new toy!-silver-whips-032.jpg  

Last edited by JimC64; 02-21-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: include pics in post
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Brizco88
...i already ordered a set of H&R lowering springs and i was wondering

1-when i install them should i install new shocks and struts too? and if i do that kind of struts/shocks do u guys reccommend?

2- im getting a lil bit of vibration on my steering wheel and a lil bit on my gas pedal..i guess there is a lil but camber wear on the tires from the previous owner...so i was wondering should i install hub centric rings?(to help absorb some of the vibration) or should i get a lil bit thicker tires? if i go getting new tires what size should i get so it wont rub on my fenders?

4- i got a whole bunch of other questions reguard my new kitty but i cant think of them right now lol...
1 - Does your vehicle have the CATS suspension? If so, you can disable the system to go with aftermarket struts, but the suspension is designed to work with CATS for optimal ride and handling to be maintained. If not, search this forum for recommendations on replacement struts.

2- Any reputable tyre seller will be able to correctly match the wheel/tyre combinations with your vehicle to minimise suspension wear, allow correct body clearance and provide the comfortable ride for which these vehicles are known.

3 - How many kilometres/miles on the vehicle currently and did the previous owner use synthetic oil? Generally, newer fully-synthetic oils can be used if the engine is free of any major mechanical problems or seal leaks. Some synthetic oil manufacturers recommend the engine be flushed when switching from conventional petroleum-based oils.

4 - Please post your questions as they come to mind.

NBCat

Old 02-20-2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
1 - Does your vehicle have the CATS suspension? If so, you can disable the system to go with aftermarket struts, but the suspension is designed to work with CATS for optimal ride and handling to be maintained. If not, search this forum for recommendations on replacement struts.

2- Any reputable tyre seller will be able to correctly match the wheel/tyre combinations with your vehicle to minimise suspension wear, allow correct body clearance and provide the comfortable ride for which these vehicles are known.

3 - How many kilometres/miles on the vehicle currently and did the previous owner use synthetic oil? Generally, newer fully-synthetic oils can be used if the engine is free of any major mechanical problems or seal leaks. Some synthetic oil manufacturers recommend the engine be flushed when switching from conventional petroleum-based oils.

4 - Please post your questions as they come to mind.

NBCat
well i think i do have the Cats system on my jagg since the previous member i met with told me i did...but i was wondering...if i do have the cats system can i just use the h&r lowering springs and keep the oem struts on there?

and if i didnt have the cats system (which i doubt) could i still lower my kitty without replacing them?

its just that the cost of the rims and the lowering springs and the new akebono brake pads...plus i wanna get some new front rotors...along with the cost of paying a technician to install them ...well its kinda hurting my wallet a bit lil...

its just that i searched a grip of threads with people with lowered jaggs and none of them states they changed out their struts/shocks when they lowered there s types

Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Welcome Brizco, can maintain the CATS struts with the H&R's. Align her with specs found on this forums search feature, with special attention in achieving "0" degrees total toe for both the front and rear. Use 6.25 quarts of synthetic 5W-30 oil.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I would just go ahead and buy new struts and save the labor...I've owned two S-Types and rear shocks go quick...

Tire wear is from an aggressive but tire eating alignment, Jag updated the specs and there's a sheet you can print out on the S-Type FAQ that is sticked atop this S-Type forum...

Old 02-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Welcome to the board.

This is always a controversial subject on this or any car related board and frequently the discussion deteriorates until the thread is locked. Not good.

Use synthetic if it makes you feel better and be aware that you'll get a huge variety of opinions on either side of the debate. My own 2 cents worth is that synthetics do no harm but also offer no real-world advantages unless an extended change interval is used. Most owners are reluctant to go the factory 10K mile change interval using standard dino oil, never mind going beyond that with synthetics.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I started to use olive oil in my car.....

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (02-22-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I started to use olive oil in my car.....
Your in trouble when Popeye finds out

bfsgross (02-22-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by police666
Your in trouble when Popeye finds out
ROFL!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

If you go with extra-virgin olive oil, Popeye won't mess with you....

bfsgross (02-22-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 PM

ok well ill go ahead and see wasup on some new struts?...

any good ones u guys reccommend that would work with that cats system?

and i think im gonna start using extra virgin olive oil instead of synthetic

Old 02-22-2012, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Forum Search will get you the existing advice

Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

ok well ill go ahead and see wasup on some new struts?...

any good ones u guys reccommend that would work with that cats system?

and i think im gonna start using extra virgin olive oil instead of synthetic
Most go with the NON-Cats bilstein from shockwarehouse.com...You install the shocks, unplug the harness from the CATs module (I believe it's in the spare tire well) then perform a hard reset of the battery...

Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Bacardi is spot-on. The stock CATS struts are Bilstiens. A non CATS strut will suffice. Go with firm with H&R's.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Bacardi is spot-on. The stock CATS struts are Bilstiens. A non CATS strut will suffice. Go with firm with H&R's.
Ok I think I will go with the bilstens non cat struts in the future...

But for now my wallet has been a bit dented with the last few purchases I just got new shoes along with all 4 new rotors ,akebono brake pads , and the h&r springs...plus I need to get a technician to throw on all these parts then get a alignment ...

I was wondering how long will my stock cats struts last before I need to replace them?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Have you checked in the FAQs for the alignment specs?
These will likely not match with the specs in your alignment shops database.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Have you checked in the FAQs for the alignment specs?
These will likely not match with the specs in your alignment shops database.
? what do u mean the specs in the alignment database will not match the ones in the shop?

so i should print out the specs in the faq section then bring it to the technician?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Briz here is the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...age-faq-34962/

Alot of reading but you will get to the specs around post # 45 or so as I recall.

Brizco88 (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Briz here is the link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...age-faq-34962/

Alot of reading but you will get to the specs around post # 45 or so as I recall.
thanks for the link!

Quick Reply: newbie with a few questions on my new toy!