Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie looking to buy V8 S type

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking to buy V8 S type

Howdy fellas, newbie here.
I'm looking to buy my first Jag, and I am leaning to the '02 and '03 models. This will be a highway car,and wil not see rain or snow.
I am looking at a couple cars, and was hoping you folks could tell me what to look for, and what issues are waiting down the road..
Side note: as a kid my uncle had an XKE convertible, and I have loved Jaguars ever since.
I am hoping since the Stype shares alot with the Lincoln LS, that it will be more reliable that the XJ series.
Selling my Towncar this spring to help pay for the Jag.
Thank you, C

Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Well, I don't know what to tell you to look for...but I can assure you that you will LOVE it! I have had mine for less than a week. I now look forward to my commute even in traffic! I have never driven a car than handles like this! I need to put my radar detector in it before I bring home a present that I do not need!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Hi Chris, and welcome to the "S" forum. Though I'm partial to the S-Type R (STR) I'd advize you to pick one of these (03 through 08) beasts up and be done with it. If you're not into 400 supercharged horses then I'd strongly advize you to go for an 03-up 4.2. They have the revized and venerable 4.2 (300 hp @ 310 lb/ft trq.) and the much desirable 6 speed ZF trans (same as STR).

Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Chris.

I think the tie-up between S-type and Lincoln LS precipitates much goodness with respect to replacement-parts-costs, but reliability dividends are dubious, at best.
Which is not to say they are not reliable, only that I don't believe the fact that they share parts with the LS makes them moreso than other Jag models.

I came out of a Grand Marquis and spent more than a few weeks giving serious consideration to a Lincoln TC as its likely replacement. I can tell you that your driving will not require nearly as much anticipation and prior-planning once you settle behind the wheel of your "Jaaag" as in the Lincoln. I used to have to anticipate when gaps might come open for lane-changes and go full-throttle and hope they developed. Almost like it was steam-powered and needed more coal, lol. Any of the S-types (even 3.0L's) or XJ's will amaze you with power/wt and torque/wt in comparison. Really does make the daily commute a lot easier...not to mention more fun!

Finally...at great risk of many of these very fine S-type enthusiasts inviting me to shut-up and slink on over to another section of this forum...have you eliminated the XJ for cause? Or merely because it is rumored to be unreliable? Just my humble (and free!) opinion but the 95-97 and 01-03 XJ's are >/= the S-type in that category.
But if you mean to have an S-type, I think you'll find the improvements introduced in 03 are well worth it unless you have just stumbled onto a killer deal on an 02.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Thank you all for a nice welcome to the forum.
I do appreciate it.
I think the 03 , with the 4.2, and ZF 6 speed is the direction I wil take.
I have a ZF trans in my F350, and they are bulletproof.
And yes I do also lust after XJ8's, but I'm thinking I could get better mileage in the slightly smaller Stype.
Thank you, C

Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

aholbro, we don't mind ya hangin with us.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Doc! More activity over here...and y'all are a great bunch.

I just wrestled with it for awhile and concluded down deep I like vast expanses of metal fore and aft....in a word, "geezer-cars," with what Ford advertised as "road-hugging weight!" Just tossing Chris one last chance to be brutally honest with himself: if he's loving his Lincoln and his F-350, it could be he'd find an XJ (or XJL!) more to his liking...but sounds like he's thought it through and he's good-to-go. Always good to see someone come to the forum first, and learn what they are getting into. Hope he finds a sweet one. He's got a point about the mpg...I'm getting 20-22 on the VDP and both the 3 liters are marking about 19....but if I swapped with one of my girls that would go to about 17 on the XJ and 25 or so on the S (I'm 80% highway, 100 mi/day while the girls are short-trippers)

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (03-03-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey there Chris,

It's just my 2 cents worth, but I would go with a 2004 or newer and if you're not in line for an R, I would go with the 4.2L V8 versus the smaller engines. Make sure to take the time to search through the S type section as there's been a lot of discussion in the past over the various S types and model years.

Good luck!

Rob

Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 AM

I am thinking the S type vs the XJ8, don't need that much room, and I am the only one in car 99% of the time.
Unortunately, the R type is a bit out of my budget, but they are super nice.
So I think it will be an 03,or 04 with the 4.2.
How nice is it to drive a 300 hp car with a six speed auto?
I am looking at an 03 w/4.2, it has 109k on the clock, what wear items should i be concerned about: timing belts, water pump, ?
Thank you, C

Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by chris64
That's what I've got, an 03 model and I couldn't be happier. Sometimes people in other cars wonder what I'm smiling at. This is good because they then tend to keep their distance from the strange man in the gorgeous car.

Although the general look of the S-types is subjective (either hate or love) the excellent reliability record is undisputed. If you do decide to proceed with the car, take it to a factory dealer and let them go through the car with a fine tooth comb. If it's missed any service checks, recalls, etc use that as a negotiating tool with the seller.

If you monitor this board for even a short while you'll see all the minor irritants that do pop up. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Excellent advice Mickey.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Thank you all for a nice welcome to the forum.
I do appreciate it.
I think the 03 , with the 4.2, and ZF 6 speed is the direction I wil take.
I have a ZF trans in my F350, and they are bulletproof.
And yes I do also lust after XJ8's, but I'm thinking I could get better mileage in the slightly smaller Stype.
Thank you, C
Welcome.. Now... About the S vs. XJ.... If you compare say 04 to 04...The XJ and S are about the same weight and get about the same mileage... The XJ is an aluminum car vs the S that is steel.

Now the big barrier to getting the XJ is the price$$.

They are just as reliable as the S (lots of the major components are the same)..but for some reason are holding their value better...

Hence when I decided to get a bigger car I left the Jag family...

Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Welcome.. Now... About the S vs. XJ.... If you compare say 04 to 04...The XJ and S are about the same weight and get about the same mileage... The XJ is an aluminum car vs the S that is steel.

Now the big barrier to getting the XJ is the price$$.

They are just as reliable as the S (lots of the major components are the same)..but for some reason are holding their value better...

Hence when I decided to get a bigger car I left the Jag family...
04-05 XJ's are coming down... Mid teens or so.

Probably a 2-3k gap between a corresponding XJ and S-Type. There was a 30k or so gap new right? In essence the XJ is a better value... But people I think are afraid of the XJ.

Take care,

George

Old 03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,351 Likes on 8,597 Posts

Howdy fellas, newbie here.
I'm looking to buy my first Jag, and I am leaning to the '02 and '03 models. This will be a highway car,and wil not see rain or snow.
I am looking at a couple cars, and was hoping you folks could tell me what to look for, and what issues are waiting down the road..
Side note: as a kid my uncle had an XKE convertible, and I have loved Jaguars ever since.
I am hoping since the Stype shares alot with the Lincoln LS, that it will be more reliable that the XJ series.
Selling my Towncar this spring to help pay for the Jag.
Thank you, C

One more item to consider. Select Edition cars. Admittely, they're mostly '06 to '08. But they carry the full factory warranty for 6 years (from initial registration date) or 100,000 miles. Orrrr, an aftermarket warranty which can pay for itself with a few repairs.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
04-05 XJ's are coming down... Mid teens or so.

Probably a 2-3k gap between a corresponding XJ and S-Type. There was a 30k or so gap new right? In essence the XJ is a better value... But people I think are afraid of the XJ.

Take care,

George
See, I looked for XJ's... The only cars I could find were hovering in the mid to high 20's...and just like the S, there wasn't many to be found...That said, now that I have my 300 someone on here will dig up an 06 XJ with 40k on it for like 19 or so....

For me (and others to take note!) the only thing scary about an XJ is the all aluminum unibody. And there, it is only if it gets hit. The processes used for fixing them are different than a regular steel body car, and they can be a mess if not fixed right... All the other stuff is pretty much the same...Drive Train, controls, switches... The other thing is the look.. The two cars have distinctly different looks... And that is just a subjective subject that everyone will have a different opinion on...

Old 03-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

The NA 4.2 is a lovely engine in either body.

At those miles, very possibly plan to change the tranny fluid and argue price down to cover it.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=JOsworth;314811

For me (and others to take note!) the only thing scary about an XJ is the all aluminum unibody. ... The other thing is the look.. The two cars have distinctly different looks... And that is just a subjective subject that everyone will have a different opinion on...[/QUOTE]

Air suspension more scary to me than body composition. Maybe I'm paranoid but it seems like a "when" not "if" failure but it's $3k not $100 like the coolant expansion tank and haven't seen a suitable sub. Sole reason I wouldn't consider 04-on. That repair when the car reaches a "sweet" and affordable age would present the same dilemma I now face when my Merc gets low on fuel: "Do I really want to double this car's value again at it's age?"

As to size, I was surprised to learn XJ (93 & prior) WB<Stype and lower in ht though overall length greater. Sure seems roomier inside though.

Just my warped opinion, but think a cogent argument could be formed that aesthetically, the 04 XJ was "practice" for ruining the looks of the S-type in 05! Both quantum leaps rearward IMO, but then I dress really funny for yardwork ....

Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I dress really funny for yardwork ....

You too???? I knew I liked you right off the bat Zane!

I prefer my bathrobe for mechanics and for yard work, workboots and undies on head, nothing inbetween other than a smile and sunglasses!

Pretty well known around here by the "oldbies".

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
See, I looked for XJ's... The only cars I could find were hovering in the mid to high 20's...and just like the S, there wasn't many to be found...That said, now that I have my 300 someone on here will dig up an 06 XJ with 40k on it for like 19 or so....

For me (and others to take note!) the only thing scary about an XJ is the all aluminum unibody. And there, it is only if it gets hit. The processes used for fixing them are different than a regular steel body car, and they can be a mess if not fixed right... All the other stuff is pretty much the same...Drive Train, controls, switches... The other thing is the look.. The two cars have distinctly different looks... And that is just a subjective subject that everyone will have a different opinion on...

We know what you got for yours in Trade Jeff,

Have a look at these cars:

04 XJ8, 55k - 13,995.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...item588ce83fdd

05 with 85k - 14,400 (What were they asking for your 05 S?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item35b02d6380

Here's an 04 XJR with 45k for 18,500.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Low-m...item2c5b0544e3

These are cars that are full boat retail.

I've realized something. The XJ Drops substantially after it's 3-4 years old. Now I know an 07-08 S-type with 30-40k on it is probably worth Low 20's, but a XJ of similar miles / year is probably High 20's Low 30's. By the time you get to 2005 the difference is maybe 2k.

Oh and Jeff if you wanted an XJ you should have asked and I would have sourced one out of the auction for you, straight from Jaguar Credit

Take care,

George

Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 PM

I am thinking the S type vs the XJ8, don't need that much room, and I am the only one in car 99% of the time.
Unortunately, the R type is a bit out of my budget, but they are super nice.
So I think it will be an 03,or 04 with the 4.2.
I am looking at an 03 w/4.2, it has 109k on the clock, what wear items should i be concerned about: timing belts, water pump, ?
Thank you, C

I have a 2003 4.2 and it's fabulous to drive. I love my Jag. It's a V8, though, so it's best on a motorway, not in traffic jams in the middle of the city.

I'm not the right person to answer your questions re water pumps and such, but I would also advice you to check that the electrical stuff is OK, from windows to seats to chromatic mirrors (easy to check with a flashlight on the sensor) and so on. Try them all. And make sure that any extras, from nav to phone, are recognised by the car.

And welcome. You'll love driving a Jag.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking to buy V8 S type