Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie looking to buy V8 S type

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I prefer my bathrobe for mechanics and for yard work, workboots and undies on head, nothing inbetween other than a smile and sunglasses!
LOL! My Dad's a bathrober! But with sweats and wingtips down low and big, radio headphones up top. For me, gym shorts, wife-beater T and wingtips. Socks optional but if worn, ideally would be black (or something dark) and nearly to the knees. (White ones with a small hole or two too valuable as shop rags to waste on yardwerks)

Wingtips don't last forever and after a certain number of re-solings it becomes like filling the Merc with gas....but pull the strings out and they make great, easy to slip into yard shoes (Most puzzled by your "workboots" comment...what do you do with your worn out wingtips?)

no undies on head....but only cuz I don't really do "hats." I had a yellow lab that hated hats....passionately. People would come over to visit wearing ball caps and "Sam" would leap up in the air, ****** their hat off their head, shake it vigorously and drop it on the ground. You wouldn't wanna don their undies as headgear after 110 lb lab unexpectedly lunged at their head and snatched off their hat...normally "soiled."

Just guessing at functionality of undies on head, think my hand-towel over neck covers that one - Keep sweat from stinging the snot out of your eyes?
Oh, one last thing....I used to make fun of Dad's "yardtips" just like my kids do of mine....til I got older and wised-up!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Zane, I've never worn wingtips in my life. They always screamed "old man" to me, and back in the day, I'm not sure the shoe companies even made them in the size 15 that I require. Every decade or so I could find a Bass store that could get me a pair of loafers big enough to fit me, so that's what I wore throughout my 25-year corporate career. Had a total of three pairs my entire career (one black, one brown, and one cordovan) and just kept getting them resoled over and over until they finally fell apart. Still have the cordovan pair. They're quite threadbare, but still passable when polished up. These days, the only time they ever see my feet is when I have to attend a funeral....

Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Jon....too funny...as I was reading your post, I was thinking ("he really only needed the cordovan") because they go both ways! With the shift to a more casual office over 10 years ago...I've been in Dockers long enough for my current yard-shoes to be black dockers - they have some kinda rubber coating on the heels that has partially worn away so gravel gets trapped up in there and rattles when I walk...drives my wife crazy! However, I did partially retire a pair of cordovan wt's on their 3rd soles that I only break out for the daddy-daughter dance for wee-bit, school/sorority functions for her older sister, and sadly, the occasional funeral.
Oh wait, I always try to remember to take them to Huntsville, AL with me when I go once or twice per year on business, but not to wear. THe shoeshine guy at the Embassy Suites there is a magic man!

But ....I may have started a hijack....Chris? You lock up that 100k+ mi. v8 s-type yet? Got any other candidates?
Despite the long signature...I very rarely buy cars...so experientially about all I can tell you is if it has only one key, you are facing $300-$400 to add a second, and if you lose the one, you'll need to buy two, excepting certain work-arounds that are possible but maybe not widely practiced at dealerships. Also....(Ahem - my ignorance is showing) If you are looking at one corner, particularly in the rain or something and that tire looks brand new....don't ASSUME that all four are that brand and that condition! And check the boot under the tire cover for evidence of water intrusion, if seen, better check out the module connections and such under there.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
You too???? I knew I liked you right off the bat Zane!

I prefer my bathrobe for mechanics and for yard work, workboots and undies on head, nothing inbetween other than a smile and sunglasses!

Pretty well known around here by the "oldbies".

Next time the neighbors are staring at me out there in my jammies & crocs, I'll know I'm not the only one getting the funny looks... =D

Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

lol...welcome to the eccentric's club...."jammies & crocs sounds pretty "upscale!" you have a neighborhood association with rules you have to show compliance with, GoKitty?

The following users liked this post:
GoKittyGo (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
lol...welcome to the eccentric's club...."jammies & crocs sounds pretty "upscale!" you have a neighborhood association with rules you have to show compliance with, GoKitty?
Well no... just that my robe is consistantly under the dogs... and the crocs match my jammies most fetchingly!