S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs help - Possible PCM malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Rick, as far as the intake gaskets. I found the ford ones, $40 or so retail from FEL-PRO for uppers and lowers. It's not nearly as bad cost wise as it used to be. Part numbers in the cross compatibility thread.

Take care,

George
I just saw the same price. That isnt too bad. Just bought 6 coils - gonna replace them all.

Anything else while I'm in there? I only want to pull this intake off once. I'm going to do the IMT O-Rings too. I read it's simpler when its out. Maybe now I can get to the transmission and the fan and stop with these other issues that are cropping up.

Thanks team! You are the best!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Rick, as far as the intake gaskets. I found the ford ones, $40 or so retail from FEL-PRO for uppers and lowers. It's not nearly as bad cost wise as it used to be. Part numbers in the cross compatibility thread.
Good to know George, 2 years ago they were not available as an aftermarket. I had to go to Jaguar, as I recall somewhere in the area of $80.00.

BTW: The upper gaskets are different from the lowers, FYI be sure to get the correct ones!

Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by texasgreenhead

Anything else while I'm in there?
You haven't mentioned spark plugs......

Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 AM

Yes, by all means spark plugs! Any suggestions? OEM has always been my normal path as I'm not a race performance minded individual, just want a dependable vehicle.

While I was waiting on the coils, I began looking for the cooling fan relay. Many thanks to CaptainJaguars electrical pages that JagV8 put me on to! Without that, I would have never found space 25 in the front fuse panel location. The drivers manual doesnt even have that listed. Whom ever thought to call it space 25 but imprint the plastic with 60 is a ........!

What do you know - no relay. I see two blades sticking up though. I see that it needs an 80amp. Where would one go about specifying which one I need? Normal parts house? I dont have the old one to take in for a match. With any luck, this will fix the fan issue - but at this point anything can happen.

IF this works..........on to the DIY transmission spring issue. YEEEEHAW!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
A decent OBD tool would be worth having. Mafioso said so and he's right.

The elm327 is good and cheap. About $20 on ebay. Search there on
327 usb
or
elm327
or
327 obd

just get the cheapest

Or get a handheld unit although they cost a bit more.

They will let you look at PCM values (but not climate control values) so you could've read the ECT to see if it was working. Can't really have hurt to change it.

I looked at these readers on Ebay and they are cheap enough. I noticed that there were 3 different versions and wondered which one was correct - V 1.3, V1.4, V1.5 - I assme that this reflects the advancements in code reading and for each new one, a jump in price. The 1.3 can be had for $10. Will that do the job?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

I looked at these readers on Ebay and they are cheap enough. I noticed that there were 3 different versions and wondered which one was correct - V 1.3, V1.4, V1.5 - I assme that this reflects the advancements in code reading and for each new one, a jump in price. The 1.3 can be had for $10. Will that do the job?
Not trying to promote any company, but you can get a real newest elm327 with the software for 60 bucks. These chinese knockoffs from ebay might save you $30 or $40, and may or may not work, or worse yet wreak havoc on the PCM if something goes bad. I'm ALL about saving $$ but those electronics are expensive.

Rick, as far as the gaskets, they are just standard duratec 3.0 fare. They have been around for a while, it seems that no one really made the connection before, and all the parts houses still havent.

Take care,

George

Old 01-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

I bought the cheapest 327 I could find and it worked fine. I bought another for a mate, also worked fine. They're £11 (about $17), delivered from China. There's nothing wrong with them at all. Any version after about 1.2 works OK, the extra stuff is for heavy trucks (J1939) etc. Cars don't need it.

Or get a handheld unit, then you can keep it in the car.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

I bought the cheapest 327 I could find and it worked fine. I bought another for a mate, also worked fine. They're £11 (about $17), delivered from China. There's nothing wrong with them at all. Any version after about 1.2 works OK, the extra stuff is for heavy trucks (J1939) etc. Cars don't need it.

Or get a handheld unit, then you can keep it in the car.
What Software do the Chineese ones come with?? That's half the equation.

Take care,

George

Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

The plain leads come with the same (free) software whatever you buy (or you can download it). If you want "better" software, it's extra or you buy a lead+software combo. Either way you'd pay more but starting with the Chinese item is lots cheaper.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 AM

I contacted a local Jag parts house and have never heard of that 80 amp cooling fan fuse being replaced and even suggested that there wasnt one. I had him look it up in the manual and eventually agreed that there was one.

Could anyone look at thier front fuse box and confirm that they too have one installed on a 2000-2001 or 2002? I am attaching a pic. You can see that it does have two male prongs that something attaches to. According to the manual, it is the cooling fan fuse.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie needs help - Possible PCM malfunction-cooling-fan-fuse.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Those prongs look rather like the relay has been pulled out leaving behind the broken off prongs. Don't rip them out without confirmation!

If you do remove them, don't short anything out as you do it.

The 80A fuse can be seen here
www.captainjaguarscathouse.com/Electrical_Guides/
just click on Power Distribution
Fig 01.1 at the top right.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM

[quote=jagv8;294817]Those prongs look rather like the relay has been pulled out leaving behind the broken off prongs.

I thought so too but they are acutally built into the fuse box I noticed similar male prongs on the smaller fuses along the top of the box, almost like a bus bar.

In person, you can see grooves where something had been slid on over them.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

try to switch it with its neighbor you are just testing, anyways jsut make sure its close in amperage and a non essential fuse.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

I think there's only one 80A fuse, so none to swap with.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

60A should work as long as a non essential function,

Although those fuses can be found at NAPA or autozone or local parts store.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM

I think there's only one 80A fuse, so none to swap with.
You are correct, there are no others to swap with..... I looked. I hope that when I do receive it and install it, it doesnt blow. Just thinking ahead...that would mean a short in the wiring. Could the fan module going out cause a fuse to blow? I just dont know why anyone would take that fuse out........unless someone blew it.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

You are correct, there are no others to swap with..... I looked. I hope that when I do receive it and install it, it doesnt blow. Just thinking ahead...that would mean a short in the wiring. Could the fan module going out cause a fuse to blow? I just dont know why anyone would take that fuse out........unless someone blew it.
If you have a multimeter you can test for a short before installing the new fuse.

Either put the meter on continuity and probe the two tabs in the fuse box, or if no continuity setup put it on the lowest ohms setting, if there is a short it will be at zero or damn close.

A bearing or brush the fan motor can also create an undue electrical load and blow the fuse.

The control module enables the fan (it doesn't directly switch the high current power supply).

Take care,

George

Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Either put the meter on continuity and probe the two tabs in the fuse box, or if no continuity setup put it on the lowest ohms setting, if there is a short it will be at zero or damn close.
It's going to be very low ohms (a lot less than 1), especially if not spinning (so no back EMF), isn't it? Easy to confuse with a short, I'd think.
The control module enables the fan (it doesn't directly switch the high current power supply).
Er, is that right? As I read the circuit diagram the fan is driven by the module (probably PWM).

Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

It's going to be very low ohms (a lot less than 1), especially if not spinning (so no back EMF), isn't it? Easy to confuse with a short, I'd think.

Er, is that right? As I read the circuit diagram the fan is driven by the module (probably PWM).
Ok you people really need to keep me off the internet before I have my morning coffee.

IF there's a wiring short that's causing the fuse to pop, then it will show as continuity or low resistance. You're probing to the module (when you probe across the fuse) , not the fan's motor directly.

You're right about the 2nd part. The Module is driving the fan. I for some reason though PCM - which just sends the enable to the module. Sorry about that.

Take care,

George

Old 01-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Alright, help me to understand what I just read off the multimeter (I'm a Virgin). Set it to 2000 ohm. Placed a probe on each side of where the fuse would be. It generated a value of 1080 and kept climbing.

Disconnected the harness at the fan control module. Set multimeter to continuity. Set one probe on the no voltage side of the fuse and the other on the end of the wire. Multimeter went from 1 to 000. If im reading it correctly, there is no short and has continuity.......right?

With the harness disconnected, I did the same thing with the fan motor itself. multimeter set to 2000 ohm, value went from 1 to 002. Set the multimeter on continuity, value went from 1 to 002 and 001. It didnt go to 000 like the other. What does this mean for the fan?

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help - Possible PCM malfunction