S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next Upgrade Worthwhile....1.5 pulley??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Next Upgrade Worthwhile....1.5 pulley??

Greetings,

Ive done the Mina exhaust and the Mafioso Intake. i was wondering if it is worthwhile to do the 1.5 pulley??. i have it sitting around now and still am undecided on installng or returning.

Ive done an upper pulley on my GTP and my MB AMG and there were significant improvements.

Does anyone have experience with the 1.5 Pulley.

Also, if you remove the resevoir, do you stil havr to jack the engine up??. I have an eaton SC pulley puller.. not sure if there is clearance

Kind Regards

fergie

Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Just depends what your expectations are...I'm extremely value oriented and analyze every by $$$ amount (at my job I'm a financial analysis, go figure, lol)...So you spend $175, if you install it yourself that's all you spend and get roughly 25hp...Now if you're going to pay a shop $200 to install it, now you're at $375 for 25hp...Yet perhaps a shop could install a 3lb pulley for $300 (that's how much I was charged for mine)...If that's the case, would it be worthwhile for you to return or sell your 1.5 for a 3lb, or paying $545 for a roughly 50hp? I have said repeatedly that I regret going the direction of the pulley and wished I bought nitrous, which is the best bang for the buck of all...

Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Wait, you are a financial analysis and you bought a Jaguar?

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (11-20-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
Just depends what your expectations are...I'm extremely value oriented and analyze every by $$$ amount (at my job I'm a financial analysis, go figure, lol)...So you spend $175, if you install it yourself that's all you spend and get roughly 25hp...Now if you're going to pay a shop $200 to install it, now you're at $375 for 25hp...Yet perhaps a shop could install a 3lb pulley for $300 (that's how much I was charged for mine)...If that's the case, would it be worthwhile for you to return or sell your 1.5 for a 3lb, or paying $545 for a roughly 50hp? I have said repeatedly that I regret going the direction of the pulley and wished I bought nitrous, which is the best bang for the buck of all...
so yes i would do myself... i think... I have zero interest in nitrous as I want everyday useful power not power short term on the fly as nitrous would give. so for 175 bucks and 25 HP.. thats very worthwhile....but the question still remains on the install procedure... Im extremely mechanically inclined, but time is the issue, i cant have the car in my garage for a couple days... when i did my other pullys it was so simple, just slap on the puller, take off, put new one on.. no more than 3 hrs max every time. looks like the jag needs far more time as a DIY job. But im hoping for someone who has done this to respond so i can make my decision !!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Not sure on the clearance of the puller. I installed mine but cut off my stock pulley. If I had the puller I bet I could of done it alot faster. But then again I dont know how the puller mounts to know if there is enough room. I did my install on a Sat and was driving by Sat night. Thats with about 4-5 hours of cutting. As you can see I had to make a few cuts. I also didnt have a smaller dremel style cutter which would of definitly helped. I had a larger die grinder with cutting wheels which made it a little more difficult. I did rent a puller but it was just a standard puller which couldnt bite the pulley good enough to pull it. To use it I did put a jack under the motor and just slightly lifted it just about a 1/2" which I was able to do without unbolting it from the mounts. The play in the engine mounts were just used. How much more room you would need with the special puller I dont know. It doesnt take long to get access to the pulley so you may just have to get in there and play around with jacking if you dont get the clearance just taking the slack out of the mounts then you can just put it back together if you dont want to do the cutting route. If you do this dont forget the coolant cause you have to remove the reservoir. If you have anymore questions let me know. I'll try and dig up some of the footage I have for the video I was going to make untill I got to cutting then it became more about getting the dang pulley off then about video so I only have up to that point.
Name:  DSCF9975.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  67.1 KB

Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Wait, you are a financial analysis and you bought a Jaguar?
Lol...I lose brain cells everyday by beating my head against a wall...

Originally Posted by fergs03R
I have zero interest in nitrous as I want everyday useful power not power short term on the fly as nitrous would give
Had I installed the pulley I would give you advice but I didn't, so we debate nitrous Nitrous offers all sorts of flexibly, you can set it up for even more "everyday useful power" than a pulley...My educated guess is the pulley puts hotter air into the engine which both retards the advancement of timing and decreases engine life...While nitrous cools the engine down and increases timing but still decreases engine life yet not as much as a pulley...

Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

fergs03str, I began with a Mina 1.5 lb. pulley and it was great. Prob. worth 20 hp alone, 30 hp with intake and exhaust mods. As vance580 remarks: The stock steel pulley can be cut to facilitate a shortcut rather than jacking up the motor to make way for the pulley puller. Due to a bad case of HP addiction...the 3 lb'er. A much lower labor charge caused the 1.5 to be cut. The pulley was gifted to Vance580, so I bought him one for kicking *** in Iraq (I learned he partied and slept through most of the ordeal) The 3 lb'er is a hoot! The low temp. thermo, removing the plastic vanity cover off the s/c, and hi-flow cats likely lower blower and motor temps. for longer power trips before heatsoak sets in. A "Chiller Killer" or methyl-alky kit would be the icing on the cake for long term intercooler "Cool Downs". I'm estimating the mods cause her to crank out close to 460 chp @ 500 lb/ft trq. Go for it bro!

Last edited by bfsgross; 11-20-2011 at 06:39 PM.