S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no heat and fan stays on

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: no heat and fan stays on

Your car is overheating. You aren't getting heat because you are low on anti-freeze. Pop your hood and refill the antifreeze reservoire to the "max" line. Your heat will be back instantly - until it overheats and dumps out the antifreeze again, anyways. Get the overheating problem fixed and your heat will be back for good, and your fan will also stop running after shut-off. I guess that it is possible that you are simply low on coolant and filling it will solve your problem - but I doubt it. The coolant overflowed for a reason... something else is wrong.

As for where to start with the overheating issue... It's tough to guess at that one over the internet. I would start with the thermostat since it is a likely culprit and the part is only about $8 and takes less than 20 minutes to replace. If that solves your problem, great! If not, then I'd check out the cooling system piece by piece until you find the issue - starting with the water pump. First, check to see if the pump is leaking. It wont pour out of it, but you will see a droplet forming and dripping off the pump when the car is warm. If it is leaking, it is bad and needs to be replaced. If your radiator isn't leaking, that isn't the problem (unless you have a clog which isn't likely on an newer car). To check for a clog, let the car warm up and squeeze the top and bottom radiator hoses... If the hose is hot to the touch and soft, the radiator is fine. If the hose is cool or hard, then you may have a clog (or your car isn't warm enough yet). I would say that your problem is probably one of the above mentioned things. Thermostat, water pump, or rad clog. If all those check out ok, post back here and we can dig into it further.

One other thought... If you had a coolant flush done recently as maintenance, you probably have an air bubble in the coolant lines somewhere. If this is the case, take it back to where you had the flush done, tell them the problem, and have them redo it.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A thermostat on this car is soooo easy to replace. If you have a V8, pop the top cover off and it there in plain sight in fron tof the intake. You'll see 3 bolts in a triangular pattern facing you. 8mm. Take them off nicely and them wiggle/pop off the cover and replace the thermostat.

Idid mine this week and it cost me $15 CDN. Stant (manufacturer) had one with an easily referencedpart number at the local supplier.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 AM

One note on replacing the thermostat... When you take the housing apart to get to the thermostat, make a note of which direction the thermostat is installed. If you put the new one in backwards, it wont work.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM

Hey I have the same problem but my car is overheating...... need assistance