S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it normal to pay for TSB work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Is it normal to pay for TSB work?

This is the first car I've ever had that I am going to be charged for TSB work. Is this normal? I've had Corvettes, a couple of newer Dodge vehicles and none of them required me to pay for any TSB work.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Wha? isn't a TSB repair a mandate that directs the manufacturer to recieve and repair the vehicle at their cost? Don't pay a dime!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 7,149 Posts

"Technical Service Bulletin" may carry different meanings from manufacturer-to-manufacturer. Typically, though, a TSB is revised technical information and/or new/revised repair information/procedures. They often pertained to problems where a fix had been elusive and/or previous repair procedures ineffective.

None of the manufacturers I represented necessarily stated (or even suggested) that repairs described in a TSB were to be performed free of charge. Far from it, in fact. The text usually included words to the effect of "....usual warranty guidelines apply...".

In *some cases* a TSB called for a "no charge repair", usually within certain time/mileage limits. These were the exception, not the rule.

TSBs are often confused with "recalls"....which are a horse of a different color.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
JimC64 (01-31-2013), Norri (02-02-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

In my line of work, TSBs are "Product Notes" for cars.

Product Notes are last minute changes, new content additions, or updates to procedures, specifications, product design, functionality, or general information.

By the nature of the products I note, the warranty aspects and customer entitlements are not discussed, but differed to a different entity, and judgements are made on a case-by-case basis.

Do consider that some TSBs can be internal recalls by another name. To thwart any legal ramifications and minimize negative exposure, sometimes a company will provide a particular service free of charge. The company knows that the cost of fixing all products with a particular problem is much cheaper than letting a horde of lawyers with lawsuits in hand drag the company's name through the gutter and empty the coffers.

Remember the:
Ford Pinto? (exploding gas tanks)
Suzuki Samurai? (easily rolled over)

Both Manufacturers knew of the flawed design, but rather than eat the cost of correcting their mistake, they denied the problem and fought the lawsuits. Today, the Pinto reputation still haunts Ford, and Suzuki Auto is pulling out of the US market.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,848 Posts

My experience with Jaguar has proven that if you catch the TSB while your car is still under warranty, it is performed at no charge. Once the warranty has expired, you'll need to take your wallet with you....

With our two Lexus SUVs, Lexus always took care of the TSB issues for us even long after the warranties had run their course....

Quite a difference in the customer care approach between Jaguar and Lexus....

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (02-06-2023)
Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 7,149 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
With our two Lexus SUVs, Lexus always took care of the TSB issues for us even long after the warranties had run their course....

Just out of curiosity.....

Were the TSB repairs for items that you complained about, but were not resolved, *before* the cars went out of warranty? If so, it's reasonable to expect manufacturers to be flexible and, in fact, they often are.

Jaguar seems to be very callous. Over the years I've been a bit shocked at some of the stories I've heard.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default This is it

Originally Posted by Jon89
My experience with Jaguar has proven that if you catch the TSB while your car is still under warranty, it is performed at no charge. Once the warranty has expired, you'll need to take your wallet with you....

Ahh! A "Recall" is what I confused with a TSB. This is what I meant for a TSB to be handled under...a warranty. We once had a Ford Windstar that had no warranty but was still retrofitted under a TSB, not a recall?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Doug,

I discovered a couple of the Lexus TSBs just shy of 80,000 miles, nearly 30,000 miles beyond the Lexus factory warranty. Our local Lexus service manager (female) was always happy to take care of them at no charge to us. By far the best and most consistent customer service from a dealership I've ever had. I don't miss the Lexus vehicles, but I do miss that level of customer care. Jaguar isn't even in the same ballpark....

Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Unlike most, I think J004 is in effect a recall and would be free any time (if not already done).

Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jaguar dealerships have 4 levels of posted repairs.
TSB- tecnical service bulletins which are designed to help technicians with common concerns and are only covered under factory warranty.
SSM- Special service message are the same thing but don't have a specific fix.
Service action- k117 etc...- Repairs that are mandated by Jaguar Cars and can be fixed for the life of the car and/or life of the Service action free of charge.
Recalls- Repairs that are mandated by the government. Also cover free of charge for the life of the car.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (02-02-2013)