S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009 | 06:25 AM
Veteran member

The plastic PVC elbow is known to fail and cause a vacuum leak. Search the forums for others that have had this problem.....
BTW.. I understand your frustration but probably not the best way to ask enthusiasts for help...

So now I have to say it..... If you hate the car that much, trade it in for a Camry....

Go easy on me H2Oboy.....

Old 09-08-2009 | 12:13 PM

you have two rubber (PCV) elbows one is right behind the plenum ease to change, the other one is uunder the plenum hard to change but not imposible. if they are bad they will cause a lot of headaches.

Old 09-08-2009 | 03:54 PM
Veteran member

Best bet for a 'repair' manual, is to get the JTIS CD from ebay, it's the best $6 i ever spent. Lots of diagrams and how-tos...especially the removal and installation.

If you've got a vacuum leak, they can cause lots of problems as elmo (slight giggle) stated. Once you get the vacuum leak fixed, some of your other issues may clear up as well. Most owners would kill for 'only' an air and coolant leak on their cars.

Now, if the air/vacuum leak doesn't fix the stalling or accelerations, need to start looking at throttle body issues or mass air flow sensors. Both are common trouble parts on your car, unless i've mixed up model years again. I have a bad habit of accessing my jumbled memories in the wrong order.

One problem at a time and you won't be so overwhelmed.

Jeff, i'll let you slide this time.

Old 09-08-2009 | 07:27 PM
Veteran member

Sapatan, as for a set of diagrams for the vehicle, look in the General Forum section for the "Christo's JTIS CD" forum. Inside that, you will find a link for the repair manual that you are after. You download the file, install it on to your hard drive and you are good to go. That will have 99% of what you are after. What it doesn't have, ask here and we will help you out from there. The only thing about the JTIS is that things are not necessarily in the obvious place. But, once you get a feel for where things are located, there's a lot of information there.

As for where to find cheap parts for your Jag, first try a member here that goes by the name of "ken@britishparts.com". E-mail him when you need a part, leave him your phone number and if he can get it, he will order it and have it sent to your house. I have used him a few times and had great results. The other option is to go to http://www.jaguarparts.com. This is a dealership in Cleveland, OH and they can get any part that you need and their prices are some of the best that you will find. Don't forget to check out the local auto parts store. They may not have everything, but they have a lot of the basics (spark plugs, oil, filters, shocks, etc).

If you are in the Washington DC area, I would tell you to come on down to my place and I am sure we can get under the hood of your car and get you on the road 100%. I live south of DC about 60 miles.

Old 09-08-2009 | 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice one Thermo
Hopefully that helps you out somewhat sapatan and gives you confidence that these problems can be tackled.
Great bunch of guys here...ask the right question in the right manner and they'll bend over backwards to help and you'll be good to go.
Jagtechohio is another good source of assistance. Try posting any specific issues in the general tech help section for great tech advice too

Good luck

Old 09-08-2009 | 11:41 PM

What about me, Jim? Now my feeling is hurt.

Old 09-08-2009 | 11:44 PM

Sapatan, don't panic. These guys got you on the right path. Take it one step at a time, but I must tell you, DO NOT try to repair anything on that car if you don't think you can do it. You'll make it worse. Nothing wrong with taking it to a COMPETENT shop for some minor surgery. Even though I am a tech, I take the ol VW in when she needs a tweak or two.....no shame here. Good luck and remember as humans we can't do it all.

Old 09-09-2009 | 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Sapatan, would be worth saying at least approx where you are geographically.

Also, look for posts by BugDoc who helpfully posted some details and pics of work he did on I think a similar car to yours.

I can second JTO's comments - if the work's beyond you find someone to do it for you
But equally, if you feel you can do it then you probably can.

Read back through a ton of forum messages and you'll find other threads about parts, especially the usual service items.

Old 09-09-2009 | 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Sapatan, would be worth saying at least approx where you are geographically.

Also, look for posts by BugDoc who helpfully posted some details and pics of work he did on I think a similar car to yours.

I can second JTO's comments - if the work's beyond you find someone to do it for you
But equally, if you feel you can do it then you probably can.

Read back through a ton of forum messages and you'll find other threads about parts, especially the usual service items.
Uh, you mean poboy's comments..... I know getting JTO out of our minds is hard. He's a great bloke, isn't he?

Old 09-10-2009 | 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

You're right - I do! Sorry.

Old 09-10-2009 | 12:28 PM

I'd also like to throw in my $0.02.

First if you elect to go it yourself (my prefered method), take your time. See if you can get a monday off from work, and start your repairs friday afternoon. This is what I always try to do when I'm tackling a job I've never done on a car before (like servicing a 5r55n transmission). If you hit a roadblock in your repairs, just walk away for abit and mull it over, when you come back you may have a fresh perspective on how to address the problem (you can also use this time to surf the web for the specific issue you've found).

Second, If you successfully replace the problem items mentioned above and your problems don't abate, I suggest ignition coils (especially considering your stalling/surging from takeoff). For a v-6 this involves intake manifold removal and requires a replacement gasket set.

Third I put forward e-bay as a great place to find parts (especially ignition coils). I know we have indiginous parts suppliers here (some of which sell on ebay), and they are great for Jaguar specific parts, but for the things on our cars that are shared with our Ford cousins E-bay is tough to beat on pricing.

Also has your check engine light ever come on? It might bear some fruit having the thing scanned for free at Autozone or most any parts store will do it for free, sometimes codes are stored even without a CEL.

Whew, gonna go Ice my wrists after this one.