Sponsored by:

An observation, XF vs S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Default An observation, XF vs S-Type

Hi Everyone,
While my STR is in the shop getting repaired, I was driving with my wife and got on the conversation of our ( actually I bought it for her) Jag. I was telling her that a new model, the XF replaced her car in '09. She's definitely not a car buff like me. Though now she is a Jag lover! She asked me if I could point one, ( the XF) out to her. Jag's are a rare commodity unless you live in Berverly Hills. Unfortunately, I do not. I work for a living. Anyway as we're driving, looking for a XF, a couple of times, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw one and it turned out to be a different car. When we finally did see one, it took a couple of seconds for me to definitively conclude it was an XF. My astute observation is I NEVER mistaken the S-Type for anything other that a Jaguar. One quick glance and you immediately know it's a Jag. No disrespect intended for XF owners, and I believe the XF is absolutely a beautiful car. I'm not suggesting that Jaguar has went to the "cookie cutter" mentality, and all Jags, definitely say "Jag", but something about the S-type, just like the XK, that just shouts "JAGUAR" a little louder. Well, that's my 2 cents on a million dollar thread Happy motoring all

Old 10-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you. I was going to purchase a Benz, but then I noticed lots of them on the road, and how they didn't really differ much from what was already out there. I love the unique styling of the S-Type. I wish the rear were more unique than it is, but it's a nice balance.

The following users liked this post:
bklynchris (10-16-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the XF does look like a lot of other cars, theres a VW saloon- forget the model but apart from the badge it's hard to tell them apart

My last X300 looked like a Jaguar, I think the best looking Jag XJ has to be the series 3

bklynchris (10-16-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
Smile

yeah, I think it's sad. My first love was of course the XKE from the late 60's early 70's. That car remains to be Jaguar icon. I think the S-type may have the same "mantra" if you will. I love the fact that the XK mimics that design so closely. I really hope JAGuar doesn't fall into the "all cars are created equal" mindset. My STR has "presence". In other words, no matter where I go or stop, all eyes are on me. Doesn't matter what other cars are parked near by. It get's noticed. And it's distictly Jaguar. You know what it is, no guessing. The S-type is just a drop dead gorgeous automobile.....'nuff said!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Before WW2, Jaguars had a nickname of " Wardour St Bentley". Sir William Lyons styled the first Jaguars on Bentley saloons of the period, but charged a 1/4 of the price. He got rich and Bentley didn't !!

Car manufacturers have to follow fashion or they don't sell cars, it's that simple. OK, I know, we all love the old Sir William Lyons XJ saloon styling, expecially me, but we are getting older and older, and style at Jaguar had to move on.

Give me the money, and I'll buy the latest XJ, but it's too dear for me right now.

bklynchris (10-16-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

BrklnChris hit the nail on the head. When one sees a Benz or BMW..."That's nice...Ok I'm done". The "S"? Wow, nice lines...oooh, wow some more nice lines.... The "S" is retro, thus timeless. My sons friends continuously speak of my STR. When I pull in to gas up, attention is drawn. When it dusts late model metal, respect....

Last edited by bfsgross; 10-13-2011 at 03:00 PM.
bklynchris (10-16-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned 4 different S-Types, an 2002 V8, a 2003 with the new 4.2 (lots of issues) a 2006 with the 3.0, very dependable and now a limited edition 2005 S-Type Sport Pkg 4.2 with the XK8 interior and burnt metal dash and 18" wheel package. I love Jags obviously, also have spoke to many XF owners who have had more issues with their new cars than the 05 onward S-Types they replaced. I think my next Jag will be an 08 S-Type or a 08 or 09 XJ8, the best Jag I ever owned was an 03 XJ8, that car was bullet proof and very, very durable

bklynchris (10-16-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

First reply here, but couldn't resist...

Recently I was looking for a new(er) vehicle for my wife and had looked heavily at the 2010-11 XF (the dealer told us to stay away from the '09's), but once she saw the S-Type she had to have it because of all the reasons stated earlier, although she is not a car aficionado. Her opinion (and mine frankly) is that the S-Type "looks" like a Jag, where as the XF reminded me of the new Buick Lacrosse - contemporary, but without the heritage.

Don't get me wrong, we liked the interior finish of the XF, but the S-Type was the right vehicle for her before opening the door.

I was disappointed that 2008 was the last year of the S-Type as I wanted new or nearly new for her, but we found a CPO '08 a couple months ago with 18k miles on it, literally owned by an 80+ elderly woman. It should be in the family quite a while as my wife keeps her cars, where as I go through cars relatively quickly - having owned multiple Lambo's, Porsche's, BMW's, a Ferrari, an NSX and a Mercedes. Pedigree is important.

Cheers!

Dave in Dallas

The following 3 users liked this post by DallasDave:
bfsgross (10-15-2011), bklynchris (10-16-2011), StypeRowner (10-18-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Before WW2, Jaguars had a nickname of " Wardour St Bentley". Sir William Lyons styled the first Jaguars on Bentley saloons of the period, but charged a 1/4 of the price. He got rich and Bentley didn't !!

Car manufacturers have to follow fashion or they don't sell cars, it's that simple. OK, I know, we all love the old Sir William Lyons XJ saloon styling, expecially me, but we are getting older and older, and style at Jaguar had to move on.

Give me the money, and I'll buy the latest XJ, but it's too dear for me right now.
I wouldnt say you guys are getting older, I'm 21 and just got an 04 XJR bc it has the classic XJ styling with a modern twist. Which i LOVE, sure i couldnt afford anything newer, but in all reality...i wouldnt really want to

The following 3 users liked this post by Adam78:
bfsgross (10-15-2011), bklynchris (10-16-2011), Panthro (04-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Heck of a car to have at 21!!!!!

Or any age, really

bklynchris (10-16-2011)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm ok with the XF styling. I prefer the S-Type design cues over the XF, however sometimes change has to occur. I think that the XF has plenty of room for the design to evolve over time and add more "Jaguarish-ness" to it, as well as perhaps identify some new design markers too.

bklynchris (10-16-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 04:14 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I was looking at the new models in the showroom when I had Laurie's car at the dealer. The interiors were what really left me cold. Granted, woodgrain is out of style these days but that was always the trademark of a Jaguar to me. This thing didn't even have a gearshift. Of course I never liked it when they did away with the teak trim on boats either. Guess I'm just old school...or just old.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bodyman:
bfsgross (10-15-2011), bklynchris (10-16-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Heck of a car to have at 21!!!!!

Or any age, really
Thanks! and i'm working my *** off for it! But i couldnt be happier. With my crummy retail job now i can make payments, but whilst going to college for business...well image is everything haha

The following 2 users liked this post by Adam78:
bklynchris (10-16-2011), Panthro (04-14-2019)
Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Very cool Adam. Do your best in school...for that eventual 07-11 XKR.

The following 2 users liked this post by bfsgross:
bklynchris (10-16-2011), Panthro (04-14-2019)
Old 10-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, bklynchris, you're preaching to the choir in this forum sub-section, but you summed up my thoughts exactly. Nice looking, yes, and blasphemy perhaps, but I just can't get into the XF, as it seems so similarly styled to the other premium brands and hence blends into the pack (no offense, just an opinion). Just not 'Jag-esque' enough for me as I choose to define it; the historical yet timeless styling elements that first drew me to the marque.
I've owned my S-Type since new and barely a day has gone by in almost 8 years when I haven't said out loud 'I love my Jag!'. My wife rolls her eyes at this having heard me say it so often (then again, she still loves her 7 year old Armada....).

The following 3 users liked this post by ducducjag:
bklynchris (10-16-2011), Panthro (04-14-2019), StypeRowner (10-18-2011)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:21 AM
SRT
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Some of the nicest looking sedans of all times surely must be the MKII, the XJ 6 series 3 and the S-type!
In my book.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
yeah, I think it's sad. My first love was of course the XKE from the late 60's early 70's. That car remains to be Jaguar icon. I think the S-type may have the same "mantra" if you will. I love the fact that the XK mimics that design so closely. I really hope JAGuar doesn't fall into the "all cars are created equal" mindset. My STR has "presence". In other words, no matter where I go or stop, all eyes are on me. Doesn't matter what other cars are parked near by. It get's noticed. And it's distictly Jaguar. You know what it is, no guessing. The S-type is just a drop dead gorgeous automobile.....'nuff said!

Stance is everything atm and the STR has an incredible stance. That's the biggest give away wether any s type you see is an STR.
In the past I've had several BMWs the majority were petrol V8s. Nothing has ever been more noticed or commented on than my 2.5 s type.

I even had two working girls eyeballing the car (not me) down by the station in town. They gave the car the thumbs up which was sweet.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
Hi Everyone,
While my STR is in the shop getting repaired, I was driving with my wife and got on the conversation of our ( actually I bought it for her) Jag. I was telling her that a new model, the XF replaced her car in '09. She's definitely not a car buff like me. Though now she is a Jag lover! She asked me if I could point one, ( the XF) out to her. Jag's are a rare commodity unless you live in Berverly Hills. Unfortunately, I do not. I work for a living. Anyway as we're driving, looking for a XF, a couple of times, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw one and it turned out to be a different car. When we finally did see one, it took a couple of seconds for me to definitively conclude it was an XF. My astute observation is I NEVER mistaken the S-Type for anything other that a Jaguar. One quick glance and you immediately know it's a Jag. No disrespect intended for XF owners, and I believe the XF is absolutely a beautiful car. I'm not suggesting that Jaguar has went to the "cookie cutter" mentality, and all Jags, definitely say "Jag", but something about the S-type, just like the XK, that just shouts "JAGUAR" a little louder. Well, that's my 2 cents on a million dollar thread Happy motoring all
I agree and then some....again like you no offense to the xf owners...here is my story...I had a set budget to spend on my car...I knew I wanted an S type but did not know the R existed...it took me 2 years of searching and I finally found it...and an R model to boot...saw many that looked good and were mechanically ignored and and the other way around....but most were bad on both levels...I found a few mercs, acouple volvos and even an audi or two....in the end I am glad I waited...even a year and a half into ownership I still smile everyday when I look at my car...and the feeling of pride fixing it myself is hard to explain....after the cussing ,it still is my best car ever....I have not seen a car like mine ever in all my time of ownership....and I am always on the lookout....just turned the official 150,000 miles on the odo...I have even had a couple offers to sell it for a tidy profit but no way...maybe I am a fool but I have a rare breed car that I love....my dad used to say "everything is for sale except 3 things, my integrity, my word and my wife and kids." I do not have a wife so my car fills that spot

Panthro (04-14-2019)
Old 11-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,120 Likes on 703 Posts

Thread revival. S-type was a great retro styling exercise for sure. Indeed, I've had an XF for a year and a half now and its garnered three, exactly three unsolicited compliments from strangers in 18 months. The XJ8 by contrast has always averaged two PER MONTH. Someone at a neighboring gas pump often says something like "nice car" or asks what year model it is. My Corvette doesn't get that kind of attention (although I think people may assume there is something more approachable about a Jaguar driver than a Corvette driver). I do like the XF interior much better and with the 5.0L, its a blast to drive. Mostly tho it was just time to update the daily driver to something with fewer miles and newer plastic parts (plus I am kind of enjoying the modern I-phone connectivity, back-up camera plus I sometimes entertain my passengers with the XF's party-trick, the rotating vents). But there is one advantage to not standing out in a parking lot; I can leave the XF parked just about anywhere and not have to worry about it. I was always afraid the XJ8's hood/bonnet leaper was going to disappear.