Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations on Routine Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,848 Posts
Default Observations on Routine Maintenance

So I did an oil & filter change and tire rotation this morning since we have decent weather today between rainstorms yesterday and again tomorrow. Our S-Type just turned 42,000 miles yesterday, and the tires just turned 24,000 miles today.

1. These one-piece replacement lug nuts that I ordered last month make rotating the tires go faster. I don't have to worry about loosening or twisting caps. If you do your own rotations, upgrading the lug nuts is one of the best moves you can make....

2. I know that when these S-Types are in proper alignment, there is slightly more wear on the inside edges of the tires compared to the outside edges. Our tires fit that description perfectly. But that still bothers me. I'm accustomed to our tires wearing evenly across the entire tread. What type of alignment set-up is required to get even treadwear on these cars, and what happens to the handling characteristics if one opts for it?

3. I'm impressed at how long our rear brake pads are holding up. I had to replace the front brake pads at 32,000 miles (I chose a set of Wagner ThermoQuiet semi-metallic pads with a lifetime warranty, and I did not turn the rotors) but the factory rear brake pads still look like they've got 50% of their life left in them at 42,000 miles. After reading about so many S-Type owners who have to replace their rear pads first, the condition of our rear pads pleasantly surprised me....

4. As much as I dislike removing and re-installing the undertray to do a simple oil & filter change, I have to admit that it certainly keeps the engine bay and underside so much cleaner. Yes, it's a big hassle, but it's worth it. Especially if it keeps the "limp home mode" goblins locked up in the closet....

5. My biggest pet peeve involving routine maintenance on this car is having the oil filter exit path blocked by those two shielded hoses that run underneath the engine bay. Because of those two hoses in the way, I can never get the old oil filter unscrewed and out quick enough to keep from making a mess with oil running down my hand and arm. This time I did manage to get my socket wrench out of there quick enough to keep the oil from running all over it. Whoever designed those two hoses to run underneath the oil filter should be drawn and quartered....

Glad that job's done for the winter, especially during a stretch of good weather. We have a two-car garage but I always prefer to work outside because you just can't beat good ol' sunlight for visibility....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-23-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried unscrewing the filter with a pvc bag around it? Make sure you've got gloves on though as it'll be pretty hot.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Excellent observations Jon, hopefully Jeff will chime in here and give us an update on #2. If I recall correctly he did have the toe adjusted a tad bit off what specs called for. Maybe this will serve as reminder to him!

Also Joyces "rear" pads are wearing quite well (50% as well), I will be putting ceramics back there when time comes. I adore the no brake dust up fronts!!!!

Last edited by joycesjag; 02-23-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: danielastur moment
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Here is the post where we talked about alignment. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=27382

So, the update is that the tire wear has stabilized and not gotten any worse. So, the neutral toe setting seems to work. Again, the car drives and handles the same so there was no adverse affects to this adjustment.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Did you receive a printout showing the specs they adjusted to? If so, can you post them?

Also, what was the cost? Thanks.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Did you receive a printout showing the specs they adjusted to? If so, can you post them?

Also, what was the cost? Thanks.
No, I didn't. The alignment was $120.