S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change kit for 6HP26 6speed Transmission on SALE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anybody have step by step info on how to rep lave the fluid with this kit? Pictures to go along? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate this project for difficulty?

Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

It's been posted, I think Search will find it if you try. It's not easy.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,712 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Old 11-02-2010, 03:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccc
The Audi uses the steel vs the plastic option.

Are they identical in size shape etc?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by scubayachts
Does anybody have step by step info on how to rep lave the fluid with this kit? Pictures to go along? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate this project for difficulty?
One the first page of this thread I have a link to the website where you can get this kit plus click on TEchnical info tab on the website for detailed info from replacing fluid to installing the rubber sleeve.

Level of difficulty for a first timer, I would say 6 or 7 .

Good Luck, if we can do it, so can you

Last edited by jag79; 11-02-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve11
Just an FYI on Fluid quantity - I've done a number of 6HP26s and it ALWAYS takes 8 qts. This is even specified in the fluid change procedure in JTIS (takes an 8 qt. initial charge).

Remember, if you've followed the right process for correcting the fluid level, you start out overfilling by approx. 1/2 qt. As the fluid heats up it expands, expelling the additional fluid. The approximate correct refill volume (minus the torque converter) is 7.5 qts, but you need 8 for the cold fill. 6 qts. is not going to get the job done for you.

Edit - Also, I ALWAYS change the connector sleeve as these have a fairly high frequency of leaking at around the 60K/70K mile range. The sleeves are nothing more than a thin plastic tubular section. After a number of heat cycles, the plastic (like the pan) simply fatigues. The pan has to be removed to release the locking collar on the sleeve. It would be a shame if you changed the pan/filter/fluid and not the sleeve, only to find the sleeve begins to leak a few Kmiles later as everything will come off again, and I personally wouldn't reuse the plastic pan.
Once again, great advice Steve11. I purchased the kit from Klaus to do a maintenance tranny service on my 2004 XJ (w/70K mi.) and 3 days before my kit arrived, I found a 5" puddle under the car. On inspection it was the $15 sleeve you mentioned. I had ordered it on your advice---quite happily, I might add. Kit arrived yeterday - plan to service this weekend. Thanks again!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Folks,

Replacing the sleeve with the pan is a great idea. On my, it was the o-rings that failed, not the actual plastic. The rings seem to have lost much of its compliancy. The replacement sleeve o-ring seem to be differerent and perhaps changed in response of the frequent leaking.

So has anyone that replaced the sleeve with the updated design still have leaks after say 60k miles? Wondering if its a problem solved

Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Just wanted to thank you for posting this deal. The fluid was out of stock for a little while but its back in stock, i ordered the kit and it came super fast, everything went smooth and it took just over 7 liters. The car had the chirp issue, i went with the fluid change instead of the additive and the chirp is gone now.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by waterloo
Just wanted to thank you for posting this deal. The fluid was out of stock for a little while but its back in stock, i ordered the kit and it came super fast, everything went smooth and

it took just over 7 liters.

The kit comes with only 6 liters, what did you use to make up the "just over" or did you purchase an extra 2 liters?

Last edited by joycesjag; 01-25-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
The kit comes with only 6 liters, what did you use to make up the "just over" or did you purchase an extra 2 liters?
Hey Rick, I sent a pvt message to you about the how many qts the S type Tranny takes. Actually I only had to use 6 and half qts. I just did a quick drain and fill. If you leave it over night, i'm guessing you will have to use close to 7.5qts. Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM

ya I purchased the extra two liters

Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

waterloo, I just find it interesting that your gearbox was running over a 1 liter low in fluid and you haven't experienced any failures. I wonder how long it had been running low.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 AM

waterloo, I just find it interesting that your gearbox was running over a 1 liter low in fluid and you haven't experienced any failures. I wonder how long it had been running low.
Why do think it was running low? Because i was able to get 7 liters back into it? There where no leaks or failures, it only had the chirping issue. The zf guy at thects told me the average range was 61/2 to 71/2 LITERS depending on how long it drains, so i guess i was in that range.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by waterloo
Why do think it was running low? Because i was able to get 7 liters back into it? There where no leaks or failures, it only had the chirping issue. The zf guy at thects told me the average range was 61/2 to 71/2 LITERS depending on how long it drains, so i guess i was in that range.

"the zf guy at thects" Klaus swears that the 6 liters in the kit will fill the tranny to the proper level when doing a drain, sleeve replacement, pan/filter and fill (no overnight drain). So if yours had not been leaking, I am just trying to due the math.

I am about to embark on the above mentioned that has been leaking so I am ordering 2 extra liters with the kit from thectsc.com

Last edited by joycesjag; 02-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Rick,

Here's hoping that the Raleigh car turns out to be a piece of cake for you with no surprises this weekend. And I also hope that the young owner comes to the realization that if he can learn to tackle most of the maintenance himself, he's got a great bang-for-the-buck sedan at his disposal....

Let us know how everything turns out. I'm especially interested in the condition of his factory Lifeguard 6....

Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Rick,

Here's hoping that the Raleigh car turns out to be a piece of cake for you with no surprises this weekend. And I also hope that the young owner comes to the realization that if he can learn to tackle most of the maintenance himself, he's got a great bang-for-the-buck sedan at his disposal....

Let us know how everything turns out. I'm especially interested in the condition of his factory Lifeguard 6....

Jon, due to some parts being shipped, we are planning for the project to begin on Friday Feb. 4th and finishing no later than the 6th. I have been reviewing some of my old posts and notes that I have here. Joel has informed me that for the most part the vehicle is southern, therefore we might not have to deal with all the seized bolt issues which tends to drag things out.

I am planning more pics on ALL the procedures being done, even though I have documented alot already, I had left out some pics that I did not take. I am not as "video" friendly as vance850 is, so still shots are all I will have.

With my questioning waterloo about adding "just over 7 liters" I am just letting people know that the 6 liters supplied with the "thects kit" might not be enough, especially if you have a drip involved!

I will take pics and do the proper "sniff" test on the old Lifeguard6 ATF, checking color and burnt smell!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

I agree with you on the ZF fluid capacity issue. I doubt if just 6 litres of ATF would ever be enough, especially if you let it drip for several hours....

Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 AM

"the zf guy at thects" Klaus swears that the 6 liters in the kit will fill the tranny to the proper level when doing a drain, sleeve replacement, pan/filter and fill (no overnight drain). So if yours had not been leaking, I am just trying to due the math.

I am about to embark on the above mentioned that has been leaking so I am ordering 2 extra liters with the kit from thects.com
hmmm maybe he has gotten enough feedback now to rethink his position on that, via e-mail i asked him if i should buy extras and he replied that most jaguar techs insist you get 71/2 liters out of it if you let it drain overnight. Thats why i bought the extra two liters, and it drained for maybe 4 hours, the "just over 7" includes the necessary spillage, so its probably exactly 7 or a bit under on mine, you are definitely doing the right thing by ordering extras. Maybe it takes only 6 if its not left to drain?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately when I did my sleeve replacement I know I had "low fluid" due to a leaking sleeve, how I don't know. What I do know is that I put in almost to the drop 7.5 qts of Castrol Multi Import ATF back in.

I am doing another sleeve replacement for a fellow member next weekend who also has a dripping sleeve. He will be driving 3 hours (1 way) to have this done and in trying to "save" him money, I don't want to come up short on the Lifeguard6. He did order 2 extra liters.

Since "we" shade tree'rs are trying to figure this all out as far as "proper fill level", I am just wondering how much is to little or to much.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Rick, I'm confused!

I don't understand what difference the fluid level before draining would make to how much you need to put back in to obtain the correct level after dropping the pan.

Last edited by Norri; 01-27-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil change kit for 6HP26 6speed Transmission on SALE!