Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil/rubber smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 02:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default oil/rubber smell

Hello all,
We have a V6 s type. Back in the winter we had smoke coming from under the hood. Under simple examination it was determined that the valve cover gasket on the passenger side was leaking. So we had both of them replaced. This car only had thirty nine thousand miles on it and is 2003. We still had the odd smell of either burning oil or rubber. inside the car. We know longer live where the mechanic is to go back to him to look into it. In fact I am not certain he is as good as his he charges.
We know longer have any smoke coming from the car but just this momentary smell when stopped and not all the time. There is not stains under the car either.
Any known problems with parts that fail?

Thank you

Old 10-03-2021, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

Check the seals for the cabin air filter, near the base of the windshield. A few months ago, I replaced the filter and started getting an occasional oil smell in the cabin, usually in stop/go traffic. The filter was aftermarket and apparently didn't fit quite right. I replaced it with a better quality and the smell is gone.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I don't know your MY but, the link below is for oil leaking IMT Orings on post face-lift. They drip onto the right side exhaust causing an oil smell in the cabin too.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ck-pics-49214/

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 08:34 AM

I took the paper towel and reached in behind the manifold. What I got was a trace of oil on the lower side of the lower IMT valve and road dirt. Not enough to say bingo but the face that there was oil is something. I also noticed that the last valve cover bolt near the firewall on the passenger side was wet. Moving back up there was an electrical conduit that also had trace amount of oil. Again not enough to say this was it but ... I also noticed a brownish stain on the manifold cover in the area where we are writing about, a burn mark i expect.

So I wiped up everything I could get to and made it all dry. My hope is that when I smell it again I can check the same spot and see if there is any oil there. I believe this is the right path but before I start to take apart things I want to be certain.

Thanks,

kr98664 (10-06-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 09:16 AM

So I got the seals and started to take apart the car. After getting the black wiper cover fasteners off I discovered the seal along the windshield had a black RTV type sealant on it. After being careful not to damage it I continued, The rest of the tear down went as expected. I was able to remove the top IMT valve pretty easily but the lower one was a problem. The clip for attaching the wires was broken. In fact it looked like someone may have used a sealer on it. So, I could not disconnect the valve. Since I could not remove the wiring I tried to just work it out of the intake but was blocked by the wiring harness. So, I tried to tried to get that free of its mounts. I took apart the fresh air box to help get to work the valve free but I could not. I could not find a bolt behind the intake that would let it drop free of the engine. All I could see was the two bolts on the valve cover on each side. I also took off the small wiring harness in front of the fresh air box.

At the end I did replace the top IMT valve seal properly. But the lower IMT got a coating of sealer. I even tried to fish the new o-ring in behind the valve but just could not make it work. I was lucky that I did not cut the o-ring off.

It has been a few weeks and only on a rare occasion to I get a whiff of burned oil and that could just be from the road. It is not my preferred method of making a repair but I could not see another solution.

Thank you

kr98664 (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

The upper IMT does not leak oil only the lower IMT, oil pools there. You should give it another go. I have read that some techs are able to "roll" new o-ring onto valve. Thinking about it, I recall the wire would have to be removed and o-ring rolled on from back side of valve. Somewhere here there are replacement electric connectors for the valves.