S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, I have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Received 60 Likes on 27 Posts
Question Ok, I have a few questions...

Ok, it appears that my detail customer would like me to maintain her car which would be a pleasure. I love tinkering and taking care of cars, probably more than computers. Anyway, I have a few questions that may be able to be answered quickly by an experienced pro (someone that properly maintains their S-Type) here. I've been reading for hours and have come up with a few questions. Here goes:

1. It appears that this car (V6 S-Type) has a timing chain?

2. Is there a reason to ever replace the chain?

3. Oil changes, I seen a compent somewhere that the oil pan plug should also be changed? Huh? I have always replace the washer but never the undamaged plug. What gives?

4. Is the oil filter a normal spin on filter or some cartrige thing? Easy to get at or have to remove some splash under cariage guard?

5. From what I've read, it sounds like people are replacing the ignition coils with the plugs??? My guess is that this is an "every other plug change" thing? In Volvo's they usually start acting up at about 150k but I have never heard of anyone just replacing them as part of rutine maintenance. Sounds like a good idea.

6. A guide that I seen indicated that plugs should be replaced every 70,000 miles?

7. Fuel filter, awesome video. What does the manual recommend on replacement? Someone mentioned every 10,000. Heck, I don't even replace air filters that often. My car states every 100,000.

8. Handbook Download: What is this Handbook? Something like a owners manual? Or is it a repair manual like Haynes or something? I make it a habit of only dl stuff I have to have. If her glove box is loaded with OEM owners manuals I see no reason to DL any, unless these are something special.

9. Parts: I have no problem with OEM parts however, I really like getting OEM parts at a 25% to 50% discount like I do with my Volvo at an after market place. Are the OEM parts only found at the dealer or can they be had at places like www.FCPEuro.com or some place like that? I'm sure she's due PLUGS, cabin filter, motor air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, etc. My main focus is spark plugs.

Thanks for the answers. The car has 158,000 on the clock and I'd like to bring it up to snuff because she claims she wants to try to keep it for a while. When I pulled codes there were multiple misfire codes and the infamous P1549. I told her that she's at the point where maintenace/repairs get a little pricy but it will beat the heck out of monthly payments on a new vehicle. From all I have heard in the past, Jag's are not cars to let go and try to play catch up 5 years later. My daughter has always wanted a Jag but all of the people that I have known that has owned them always cry about maintenance and upkeep being so expensive and their cars breaking down. I don't know of any that have a lot of miles on them, is there a High Mileage Thread?

Last edited by RSpi; 11-16-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by RSpi

8. Handbook Download: What is this Handbook? Something like a owners manual? Or is it a repair manual like Haynes or something? I make it a habit of only dl stuff I have to have. If her glove box is loaded with OEM owners manuals I see no reason to DL any, unless these are something special........
I'll leave it to the S-Type experts to respond to your tech questions but will explain about Handbooks.

Jaguars are delivered with a Vehicle Literature Pack in one or more folders which covers Driver's, Audio, Security, Maintenance, Warranty - all the usual things an owner wants to know. Maintenance information is basic and limited to things like checking fluid levels and bulb changing.

Separate from this is the full Service Manual a.k.a. JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information System). This is not available in printed form but as a downloadable program (see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...rchives-65926/ for details).

JTIS is a comprehensive service manual covering all models from the later X300 through to mid 2004. After that date, Jaguar replaced it with an online system aimed at dealerships.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
RSpi (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 AM

Thanks. VW has booklets like this. Hard to fish through to find what I needed there.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

See in bold below,

Ok, it appears that my detail customer would like me to maintain her car which would be a pleasure. I love tinkering and taking care of cars, probably more than computers. Anyway, I have a few questions that may be able to be answered quickly by an experienced pro (someone that properly maintains their S-Type) here. I've been reading for hours and have come up with a few questions. Here goes:

1. It appears that this car (V6 S-Type) has a timing chain?

Yes it's a chain.

2. Is there a reason to ever replace the chain?

Normally, No.

3. Oil changes, I seen a compent somewhere that the oil pan plug should also be changed? Huh? I have always replace the washer but never the undamaged plug. What gives?

I've never changed mine. YMMV.

4. Is the oil filter a normal spin on filter or some cartrige thing? Easy to get at or have to remove some splash under cariage guard?

Normal filter, a little awkward, you have to remove the guard under the engine.

5. From what I've read, it sounds like people are replacing the ignition coils with the plugs??? My guess is that this is an "every other plug change" thing? In Volvo's they usually start acting up at about 150k but I have never heard of anyone just replacing them as part of rutine maintenance. Sounds like a good idea.

The coils under the manifold are difficult to access so many peple just change them with the plugs.

6. A guide that I seen indicated that plugs should be replaced every 70,000 miles?
I believe the plugs are 100K now.

7. Fuel filter, awesome video. What does the manual recommend on replacement? Someone mentioned every 10,000. Heck, I don't even replace air filters that often. My car states every 100,000.
Don't know maybe 50K?

8. Handbook Download: What is this Handbook? Something like a owners manual? Or is it a repair manual like Haynes or something? I make it a habit of only dl stuff I have to have. If her glove box is loaded with OEM owners manuals I see no reason to DL any, unless these are something special.

9. Parts: I have no problem with OEM parts however, I really like getting OEM parts at a 25% to 50% discount like I do with my Volvo at an after market place. Are the OEM parts only found at the dealer or can they be had at places like www.FCPEuro.com or some place like that? I'm sure she's due PLUGS, cabin filter, motor air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, etc. My main focus is spark plugs.

You can find many parts through various sources.

Thanks for the answers. The car has 158,000 on the clock and I'd like to bring it up to snuff because she claims she wants to try to keep it for a while. When I pulled codes there were multiple misfire codes and the infamous P1549. I told her that she's at the point where maintenace/repairs get a little pricy but it will beat the heck out of monthly payments on a new vehicle. From all I have heard in the past, Jag's are not cars to let go and try to play catch up 5 years later. My daughter has always wanted a Jag but all of the people that I have known that has owned them always cry about maintenance and upkeep being so expensive and their cars breaking down. I don't know of any that have a lot of miles on them, is there a High Mileage Thread?

JimC64 (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

+1 on Norri's advice.

Jaguar states 60K mile interval on fuel filters. The spark plugs are done at 100K miles on the V8 and 70K miles on the V6 according to factory mtce schedule JLR 11 62 10_1E, 2006 issue. There might be a later issue for this document.

Norri (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Are all of the plugs & coils under the manifold or just 1/2 of them?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I don't see it but the transmission needs a fluid/pan change and be sure to replace the sleeve when the pan is dropped. Reflash the TCM as per Jaguar.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
I don't see it but the transmission needs a fluid/pan change and be sure to replace the sleeve when the pan is dropped. Reflash the TCM as per Jaguar.
Might not be the best idea to change the fluid if its never been done and it has 158k on it.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That is funny, I have a 2004V 70r and a 2005 jaguar s type r. I've been working on getting the Volvo ready for winter.

The jaguar is just like a Volvo, it's not like a Subaru wher you can just drive it for 100,000 miles and not fix anything. But with proper care, these cars will keep going just fine.

On the flip side, I don't feel like I'm driving an appliance when I'm in either.

I have been buying parts through a place I googled for discount oem jaguar parts online. I was just buying from my local dealer untill the told me to go f my self on the gas tank leaking even though its under recall beacuse they had already tried to fix it before for the previous owner.

What's funny is the same people own the Volvo dealer and the jag dealer here, and my Volvo has an active recall on moving the electric fuel pump module from under the car, which I'm now going to make hem do just so they have to work on one of my cars.

The most important thing is making sure the trans gets new fluid.

I will look and find the website of the dealer I've been buying parts from.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Are all of the plugs & coils under the manifold or just 1/2 of them?
The passenger bank is under the manifold. Just pop the 'Jaguar' cover off of the Drivers side (it just lifts off) and you'll see what you are working with. The coils & plugs themselves are simple. Just remove the connector from the coil and remove the single bolt and the coil lifts off the plug.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Eyeyiyi!!! Transmission pan? I'm always a little hesitant about fooling with transmissions. On my car, it's safest to drain and refill a few times to refresh the fluid. Does it have a filter under the pan? My car has a drain plug. I'll search for a DIY thread for it.

I guess the TCM is something that I can not REFLASH since I'm an alley way mechanic. Don't even have a back yard to do this stuff in.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jagtastic
The passenger bank is under the manifold. Just pop the 'Jaguar' cover off of the Drivers side (it just lifts off) and you'll see what you are working with. The coils & plugs themselves are simple. Just remove the connector from the coil and remove the single bolt and the coil lifts off the plug.
Yea, I didn't think they were hard to do, just expensive. My 960 Volvo had them. Some would last 250,000 some only about 150,000. I think I read somewhere that they run about $125 each, which are cheaper than the Volvo ones. If it were me, since she is having misfire codes, I would replace the ones under the manifold, which should guarantee that side to be good, then keep them for spares and replace the other side if they go bad or misfire. If she hasn't had plugs changed in 90,000 miles, it could be the plugs causing the misfires. Bad gap or whatever at certain RPM's. I reset the codes and the misfires did NOT come back in 30 miles. I'm a little light on the pedal so the RPM's may have never gotton above 3,000. Maybe it would mis if I put my foot in it. I guess I'll let her make that call on the ignitors. Going under the manifold for them is a little work, especially if you have to drop $75 - $90 on gaskets every time you go under there.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

lol you are lucky to get 50k out of a set of Jaguar coils. The best thing to do is if you have an advance auto close by, purchase the coils online for in store pickup. Make sure you use a coupon code (Advance Auto Parts Coupon: Get $29 Off w/ 2012 Coupon Code, Promo Code) and you should be able to get them for ~$50/coil

Old 11-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

No the filter is built into the plastic pan. That's why a flush does no good. Your just loading more crap into the old filter.

Yes the TCM reflash is a dealer only item. We have even had dealers who were not up to date on this and claim it can lock up the transmission!!

Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM

So you have the TCM flashed because it's just due or because you changed the tranny fluid?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

My daughter has always wanted a Jag but all of the people that I have known that has owned them always cry about maintenance and upkeep being so expensive and their cars breaking down. I don't know of any that have a lot of miles on them, is there a High Mileage Thread?
Maintenance is key - I have over 201,100 miles on my 2000 S Type - yes, it's possible. As GGG pointed out above - Read JTIS and absorb...

Last edited by abonano; 11-16-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

You have it flashed if it has an out of date version of its software. If it's up to date, you might have the "adaptions" (adaptations, learned values) cleared. People tend to call that having it flashed, too, as they're stored in non-volatile memory.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

It really depends. If you don't have any "Lurch" problems and are happy with the shifting you could leave it alone. But the ZF is a bit rough shifting sometimes for a luxury car and this re-flash is a full/partial cure.

Read up at the "Lurch" website to see if you car has one more variations of it. Certain driving conditions tend to bring the problem out.