S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oldmaned

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013 | 07:03 PM
|
Default oldmaned

My 2001 s type 4.0 will not start. Starter spins engine good. Battery is only 2 months old.This has happened two times previously First time car started and ran for a few seconds and quit and would not start. I let it sit for a few hours tried it and still no start. I removed gas cap and tried it and it started and ran perfect.Drove several times for a couple of weeks with no problems. Second time I filled it with gas at station and it would not start. Waited about ten minutes and removed gas cap and tried several times and it started and ran great. I drove it yesterday and it ran perfect. Tried it this morning and it will not start. Tried all the things I had done previously and still it will not start.
Any suggestions will be appreciated as it seems next step will be having it towed to dealer and checked out
The car has 55,000 miles and is in very good condition.

Old 01-08-2013 | 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Fuel filter and pumps come to mind.

Old 01-08-2013 | 09:24 PM

Search for the common issue with vacuum leak. I'm having issues with starting as well recently. Many have recommended to check for the vacuum leak issue. Sometimes it starts right away other times it takes several crank attempts. It may not be the same issue though. I'll be checking it out probably within the next couple of weeks. Other things I have are oil in the spark plug wells.

Old 01-09-2013 | 02:03 AM
Veteran Member

Oil in the plug wells can cause the coils not to work.

Old 01-09-2013 | 08:02 AM

Sounds like an intermitient failing fuel pump (over the past few weeks) and now the fuel pump is DOA. A big +1 to bfsgross - start with the fuel filter - when was the last time it was changed out? It's a rather simple procedure and about $12 for the fuel filter.

When changing the filter - if you see brownish, black or any particles coming out of the fuel filter this would be indicitive of a failing or failed fuel pump.

If you have a "no start" condition after changing the fuel filter - then plan on changing out your fuel pump.

Old 01-09-2013 | 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by harryf
Search for the common issue with vacuum leak. I'm having issues with starting as well recently. Many have recommended to check for the vacuum leak issue. Sometimes it starts right away other times it takes several crank attempts. It may not be the same issue though. I'll be checking it out probably within the next couple of weeks. Other things I have are oil in the spark plug wells.
harryf - hate to say it but excessive cranking at times points to the fuel pump - look at changing the fuel filter first to see if this helps your intermitient long cranking time... I change out my fuel filter every year or 10K miles - rather simple procedure and cheap insurance.

Additionally, you will need to address the oil in spark wells with a cam cover gasket change, including the spark well O-Ring gaskets.

Old 01-09-2013 | 12:24 PM
|
Default oldmaned

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies..
The car is not hard to start, or in other words,it will not start after extended tries to start it. The previous times I had this trouble it would not start and after a waiting period of maybe 15 minutes and removing gas cap,which I don't think was the problem,it would start quickly and run smooth with normal power.If the filter was clogged would it not have been low in power or maybe hesitate when accelerating.
The filter was changed at the 30,000 mile range
It is a rainy day in middle tennessee and I will probably have it towed to mechanic tomorrow unless I get lucky and it starts so I can drive it to the shop.

Old 01-09-2013 | 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

May well be bore wash

See recent threads about this (Search will find)

Old 01-09-2013 | 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Didn't think of bore wash...good call.

Old 01-09-2013 | 03:09 PM
|
Default oldmaned

Thanks for the information. I don't think my engine has nikasil liners.Also,I am not sure what bore wash is. In reading the posts referring to bore wash it seems this occurs if you turn the engine off before it is warmed up.This was not what occurred with my car. Again,I don't understand how or why bore wash occurs.What can be done to get it started if this is the problem. I will let it sit overnight and try tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2013 | 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

The threads explain and it'll be on the net. Nikasil is irrelevant.

It might not be that but we're short of alternatives and at least bore wash is cheap to fix.

Old 01-09-2013 | 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

a quick layman's explanation of borewash as i understand it.

Petrol rich mixture in the cylinders washes away the oil that coats them. the oil is needed to help the piston rings achieve and maintain compression.

no oil, no compression, no start.

I have had borewash and the engine seemed to turn over more freely than normal, it also sounded different, almost as if the starter was not engaging the flywheel (if in fact the starter does work that way)

my fix was continued cranking in 15sec intervals with wot until i could hear it getting compression then 75% throttle until it coughed into life.

Old 01-09-2013 | 07:23 PM
|
Default oldmaned

Thanks for the explanation.The starter turns my engine at normal speed and sounds.I don't believe it has a loss of compression,I feel it is either the fuel pump or the PATS .Unfortunately my hearing is not good so I can't tell if the fuel pump comes on when I turn the key on I will get someone to listen and see if they can hear it and if not I will probably have it towed to mechanic. Tonight I am researching the PATS. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2013 | 01:23 AM
Veteran Member

Covered before. Search is your friend.

Old 01-10-2013 | 03:12 PM
|
Default oldmaned

I had my 2001 s type towed to shop today. I couldn't get it started.
I will post a follow up when the car is repaired.
Thanks again to all that responded.

Old 01-10-2013 | 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by oldmaned
I had my 2001 s type towed to shop today. I couldn't get it started.
I will post a follow up when the car is repaired.
Thanks again to all that responded.
My $$$ is pointed to a failed fuel pump... hope they get you back on the road quickly... please keep us informed

Old 01-11-2013 | 08:04 PM
|
Default oldmaned

My problem is a failed fuel pump. Parts are ordered and should get my jag back monday night. Having the fuel filter replaced also.
Again thanks for the very good responses and of course the problem was correctly diagnosed by you. Great forum.

Old 01-14-2013 | 07:35 PM
|
Default oldmaned

My 2001 s type is repaired. Total cost was $955.00 for a fuel pump assembly and fuel filter. Car runs perfect .Expensive repair but at my age I could not do the repairs. One of the costs of getting old.
Thanks again for the responses.

Old 01-14-2013 | 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on the fix and thank you for the follow up.

Old 01-14-2013 | 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

abonano was spot-on with the failed fuel pump. Good call chap.