Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ole' coolant leak under the supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof

So even if you do the job yourself your in for a beating.
Well on a diy, there wouldn't be Perrier antifeeze, goldplated $5 screws, $10 bolts, or $73 thermostat gaskets. Maybe no $293 egr either.

Probably $300 max. for diy.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

You've done this repair?

I can see dropping the EGR if it's not needed but most the rest of the stuff probably isn't going to be found in the after market. If the bolts are vanilla stuff OK.

Does replacing the EGT require almost as much labor and new materials so it becomes a "you might as well while you're in there" situation?

The DIY labor is probably a weekend if you have everything available and you don't run into issues.

That's really sad for a Jag design induced frickin' hose failure.

This one has me re-evaluating long term ownership.
There are a number of other quirks as well.
The transmission service issues on this vehicle sounds like a PITA.
The heater control valve.

I dunno guys ...

Old 09-05-2011, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

I can well understand your worries about this one hose. I suppose it didn't occur soon enough for jag to re-engineer it, shame though that is.

The trans service is just like many others now. Sad but true. And it's akward, but by no means impossible. Fluid price has dropped to bearable.

The DCCV is daft but there are similar or worse goofs on so many cars........

If there's a perfectly reliable car with neither manufacturing nor design defects, it's probably soulless.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Joe I am sorry you had to fork out that kinda dough.

On the bill, it doesn't state how many hours were involved with the labor charge of $830.00. How many hours did the shop have into it?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Default The very definition of a "Hose Job"

I haven't looked to see if it's just this edition of the SC engine or if the earlier versions had a better solution for this hose? Maybe they introduced the problem with the hose size change technique they utilized? It's a surprising failure to me.

I get surprised from time to time. I had the OEM replacement water pump fail on my 1999 K2500 Suburban (a big monster of an SUV) after being only 2 years old. Someone did something wrong in the manufacturing of that one too.

I have plenty of cars with soul. Maybe too many ...

Has anyone charted when this issue crops up by miles or years?

Modern cars have become very expensive to work on.

This one is just as big of a PITA to change the oil on as my Infiniti was with the whole belly pan thing. How about an operable flap in just the right spot that's 2 minutes to open????

OK enough griping for now ...

Originally Posted by JagV8
I can well understand your worries about this one hose. I suppose it didn't occur soon enough for jag to re-engineer it, shame though that is.

The trans service is just like many others now. Sad but true. And it's akward, but by no means impossible. Fluid price has dropped to bearable.

The DCCV is daft but there are similar or worse goofs on so many cars........

If there's a perfectly reliable car with neither manufacturing nor design defects, it's probably soulless.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

The EGR valve was definately a "might as well while its out" descision. It did look corroded on the inside which would probably prevent it from spinning in the future.

One fun thing happened yesterday. Went to a touchless car wash, on the way home, BAM, limp home mode. Pulled into a parking lot, shut it down, locked car, then started it up and it was fine for the rest of the day with no CEL. I have already gone through this throttle body/moisture/limp home mode monstrosity years ago.

Would they have had to mess with the throttle body when making this repair or could it be something else?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

You've done this repair?

I can see dropping the EGR if it's not needed but most the rest of the stuff probably isn't going to be found in the after market. If the bolts are vanilla stuff OK.

Well, you thought the "coolant price is a total rip off."

So, its perfectly valid to note some of the other items as being overpriced.

Particularly that thermostat gasket at $73. Not the thermostat, just the gasket. The Gates thermostat comes with the gasket and is under $20. At least that was the situation three weeks ago, anyways.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Well, you thought the "coolant price is a total rip off."

So, its perfectly valid to note some of the other items as being overpriced.

Particularly that thermostat gasket at $73. Not the thermostat, just the gasket. The Gates thermostat comes with the gasket and is under $20. At least that was the situation three weeks ago, anyways.
As long as they're available yesir! I haven't looked.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

I know the wound is still very sore but did you find out where the failure point was on the old hose? Pictures?

Originally Posted by Bull27
The EGR valve was definately a "might as well while its out" descision. It did look corroded on the inside which would probably prevent it from spinning in the future.

One fun thing happened yesterday. Went to a touchless car wash, on the way home, BAM, limp home mode. Pulled into a parking lot, shut it down, locked car, then started it up and it was fine for the rest of the day with no CEL. I have already gone through this throttle body/moisture/limp home mode monstrosity years ago.

Would they have had to mess with the throttle body when making this repair or could it be something else?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I know the wound is still very sore but did you find out where the failure point was on the old hose? Pictures?
I dont have pictures but I will find out the exact information on where the failure occured. Again, the EGR valve looked like a coroded POS and it needed to be replaced.

Did you miss the part that the bit*h threw itself into limp home mode after a car wash?

The bill is just a minor detail after this thing threw itslf into limp home mode. To top it off the wife hit a pothole tonight and the passenger side headlamp failed/broke and was aiming down the whole way home from the engagement party we were at. I am not a happy Jag owner at the moment.

Last edited by Bull27; 09-08-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member

Ouch!

At least the headlight will likely be fixed the way Brutal so kindly explained (and Vance580 videoed).

Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

No I didn't miss it. Is it better again?

I think I can sense what's coming next.

You can fix the headlamp via the cheapo route. I wouldn't go to the dealer and even ask about that one right now. Fortunately both of those got fixed under warranty on mine.

Originally Posted by Bull27
I dont have pictures but I will find out the exact information on where the failure occured. Again, the EGR valve looked like a coroded POS and it needed to be replaced.

Did you miss the part that the bit*h threw itself into limp home mode after a car wash?

The bill is just a minor detail after this thing threw itslf into limp home mode. To top it off the wife hit a pothole tonight and the passenger side headlamp failed/broke and was aiming down the whole way home from the engagement party we were at. I am not a happy Jag owner at the moment.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

My car didn't have many miles when the hose failed; 38k. The techs said this is a common deal so if they're working anywhere near the hose and it's not a ton more work, they'll replace it as a preventative measure. I can't believe this wasn't recalled...

Old 09-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Well for a dealer it is a wonderful project for keeping your tech staff paid for.
Not so good for future sales for the poor Jag owner who is the victim.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

just had this one did a few months ago, also did all the other hoses under the S/C while it was off. Charged 6 hours labor + parts ended up being $650.

while i was disappointed at doing this of course, especially after just months before having some other coolent hoses done I felt blessed it happened at home. I had just returned from a weekend trip to naples (4 hours each way) and hadnt had it on a road trip in a long time. I would have hated trying to get it back by having to stop n refill the thing every so often!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Was that at a dealer or an independent?

If it's an independent were they already familiar with doing this repair?

Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
just had this one did a few months ago, also did all the other hoses under the S/C while it was off. Charged 6 hours labor + parts ended up being $650.

while i was disappointed at doing this of course, especially after just months before having some other coolent hoses done I felt blessed it happened at home. I had just returned from a weekend trip to naples (4 hours each way) and hadnt had it on a road trip in a long time. I would have hated trying to get it back by having to stop n refill the thing every so often!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

a large independent shop, the technician has been doing jaguars for 20+ years, vintage and modern. The book says 6 hours labor I believe or some say 6 some, 5, but i was given whatever is less. I get a special labor rate around $72 an hour.

The parts had to come direct from Jaguar, I was told no aftermarket ones are made. Not sure if it was just hoses or what, but anything under there that could end up leaking was done at the same time so they wouldnt have to go back again.

I was told its a pretty straightforward job, just time consuming.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

They sound good. If there's a place on the site to recommend them, please do!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

I agree. That's the way you want to have it done. Professional work at reasonable prices from someone who's already been there.

I never liked virgins.

Last edited by Staatsof; 10-06-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: TYPO liked is not the same thing as licked!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Happy Ending

Good. A happy ending to a good/informative thread. The same job will be performed (along with port blower and cam cover gaskets) on my 03 STR late November when she comes off the road for the NY winter.

Quick Reply: The ole' coolant leak under the supercharger