S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on new tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default opinions on new tires

It is just about time for new tires on the 03 STR, and I have a few questions.

1) Does anybody have experience with either of these two tires on an STR or similar vehicle:
BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Kumho Ecsta ASX (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
According to tirerack.com, the kumhos have a higher load rating, better treadwear, and are a buttload cheaper. But when I did a search, the results go both ways, but on different cars. So I'd like to know what may work better on an STR, or just any feedback in general.

2) I would like to bump the fronts up to 245/45/18 and the rears to 275/40/18. I am aware that this increases OD by approximately 0.5" and that the speedometer will reflect a 3% difference.
Is anybody running this tire size, and is there any rubbing at all?
Also, this increase in size will undoubtedly have an effect on rotating mass and final drive ratio. How will this affect speed? As rarely as it is used, I am quite fond of a 5 second 0-60, and may decide against upsizing the tires if it will mess that up.

Thank you all for your input.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

do not and i repeat DO NOT get these ones from goodyear..................

It makes me want to kill myself if i drive down the street with the windows open

Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt

It makes me want to kill myself if i drive down the street with the windows open
HA HA you F'N hate those, maybe u should start an anti Goodyear site to release some of the anger....better yet, slash your own tires! That would be a first

Old 07-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ASXs are cheap but mushy, not the greatest for spirited driving, sort of like cut price MXV4s.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:00 AM

Thanks, I'm not sure how I missed that. Exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any input on the tire diameter issue?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by rld14
ASXs are cheap but mushy, not the greatest for spirited driving, sort of like cut price MXV4s.
Mushy, huh? Would you happen to know if the BFG AS's are comparably mushy? I do drive it hard and fully enjoy a good summer tire, but I need an all-season tire due to the unpredictably stupid weather up here. The ASXs and the BFGs seem to be my best choices, but I get mixed reviews. Did you try the ASXs on an STR or something else?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 AM

lol. I have actually been avoiding the GoodYears based mostly on your reviews. I hate the noise of my SportContact2s, so GoodYears are a no-go.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 AM

I just noticed that someone in this tread mentioned not being impressed by the treadwear of the ASXs. I have heard more good things about the wear on the BFGs than the ASXs, but TireRack has the ASXs down for longer tread life. Any input? I know also that our STRs tend to chew up tires pretty badly, and being in NJ, the "if it is broke, just ignore it" state, every road is a pothole, ready to destroy my alignment. I need some long wearing tires; I burned through the Contis in five months (80 mile daily drive).

Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I had some Hoosier white letter slicks on my car for a while.. you should see peoples reaction when you roll up next to them with those.. Hahah it was priceless.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I have BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S 255/35ZR20 97W tires on my 07 XJR mounted on 20" sepang alloy wheels. I got the tires from tirerack.com for a real good price. These are very good all-around tires. They don't stick in the corners quite like the Dunlop SP Sport 01s that came on the car, but these are great for all around performance. They wear real well (12,000+ miles so far with very little wear), they look good on the car, run quiet and handle very well, especially on cold, wet pavement. I would recommend them with no reservations.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by metalmarty
lol. I have actually been avoiding the GoodYears based mostly on your reviews. I hate the noise of my SportContact2s, so GoodYears are a no-go.
i swear, drive over the bridge, come grab my keys, and take it for a spin........trust me you will want to kill yourself just hearing them rolling at about 30-40 mph. So loud it disgusting. Ive checked the pressure numerous times. I do need an alignment though, havent had the chance to get it on the rack yet though. But my god i hate my tires........hey bulls........gotta razor blade handy?

Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by rld14
Not mushy for me. They take every corner tight, and grip well. I personally dont like to take corners so hard that #1 I am slammed up against the door, #2 will even be close to finding out the MAX capability of these tires...That is not spirited, that is racing. They are cheap, look good, handle well in both rain and dry, and are for all climates. Like I said before I had the BF Goodrichs in my shopping basket at TIRERACK, the guy talked me out of them, plus I have had great experience with their low profile tires on my Porsche Boxster S, and Infinti FX45.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
I had some Hoosier white letter slicks on my car for a while.. you should see peoples reaction when you roll up next to them with those.. Hahah it was priceless.
That is totally bad ***. Although not too practical for my daily driver. That's what the Monte SS is for... when I finally get around to fixing it, that is.

Originally Posted by WLinSTL
I have BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S 255/35ZR20 97W tires on my 07 XJR mounted on 20" sepang alloy wheels. I got the tires from tirerack.com for a real good price. These are very good all-around tires. They don't stick in the corners quite like the Dunlop SP Sport 01s that came on the car, but these are great for all around performance. They wear real well (12,000+ miles so far with very little wear), they look good on the car, run quiet and handle very well, especially on cold, wet pavement. I would recommend them with no reservations.
Yeah, I do like the G-forces. My father has been using them on his Mercury Marauder, and I love them on that. But that's a 235/50/18 and 245/55/18; that much sidewall doesn't translate to my usage. I figure an XJR would handle differently as well. I guess nobody uses them on STRs.

i swear, drive over the bridge, come grab my keys, and take it for a spin........trust me you will want to kill yourself just hearing them rolling at about 30-40 mph. So loud it disgusting. Ive checked the pressure numerous times. I do need an alignment though, havent had the chance to get it on the rack yet though. But my god i hate my tires........hey bulls........gotta razor blade handy?
hahaha I'll take your word for it. (On a side note, I wasn't so appalled by the Eagle GTs that were stock on my Monte SS, but that's a different beast altogether.)

Originally Posted by Bull27
Not mushy for me. They take every corner tight, and grip well. I personally dont like to take corners so hard that #1 I am slammed up against the door, #2 will even be close to finding out the MAX capability of these tires...That is not spirited, that is racing. They are cheap, look good, handle well in both rain and dry, and are for all climates. Like I said before I had the BF Goodrichs in my shopping basket at TIRERACK, the guy talked me out of them, plus I have had great experience with their low profile tires on my Porsche Boxster S, and Infinti FX45.
Heck, I might give these ASXs a go. If they last me 20,000 miles I'll be happy. I'll never pass up saving a few bucks as long as I don't lose quality.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 PM
DTB
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought an '03 STR that has BFG G-Force Sport tires on the front. They seem to have worn pretty well (I think they have close to 20k on them). Still have tread left but they are very noisy and rumble at low speeds.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by DTB
I just bought an '03 STR that has BFG G-Force Sport tires on the front. They seem to have worn pretty well (I think they have close to 20k on them). Still have tread left but they are very noisy and rumble at low speeds.
Are they noisy because they are worn, or are they just noisy in general? And are they the Sports, or A/S SuperSports?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

marty, i think im going to switch to the nexen ones. ill let you know how it goes.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position on my s-type. Their are one of the best tires i have used. They are great for driving hard and having fun.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM
DTB
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tires I have just say "Sport". I don't know anything about them since I just bought the car but based on my experience they are probably loud because they are getting worn. The person I bought the car from didn't think they were loud compared with the other tires he's had. He also says that he had the tire shop rotate them periodically (dismounted/mounted them left to right).

Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

ok, i did some checking around....sumitomo htz II are on sale at the rack. I need fronts anyway, so i grabbed these to get my alignment and check my front end out. i think it may be more then just the tires, as my *********** told me.

Also the rack has str front brake pads on sale the Akebono ones. So i had them add that too. Now all i need are rotors, and we are in business.

Quick Reply: opinions on new tires