S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ouch, my pocketbook...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Knocking, p1388

Today I was driving home, beating on my car a little bit while driving on the interstate. after passing someone i felt a couple of little surges, then the car drove normally for the next 5 min till i slowed down off an exit. i started hearing a knocking noise, thinking it was one of the other cars around me i drove on a few blocks till i figured out it was my car.

as i slowed to a stop the oil light came on. i drove 1 block to my house and parked. i checked the engine oil level and it was perfectly normal (had changed it last weekend, and checked numerous times since then), also checked filter and pan for leaks, nothing was found, all good.

i then rented a code reader, the only code that came up was p1388, a code that i have battled with, had checked by mechanics numerous times, and replaced all coils and plugs. dealership, local mechanic and i all agreed that the code i was getting was related to the notorious "false flagging codes" of the 01 s-type.

Anyways, I have had that code come and go for the last year and a half, and the car drives practically perfectly!, even today up until i started to hear the knocking....

Could this be an oil pump? oil control/ cam / other solenoid failure?

Wouldn't any problem atleast give me an ODB code?????

IM ASSUMING I MIGHT NEED A NEW ENGINE EVEN IF THE PROBLEM WAS PART FAILURE, WTF ! I HAVE DEFENDED JAGUAR BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ... ANY IDEAS ???? EXPERIENCE / ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!

Last edited by jklit; 05-20-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by jklit
Today I was driving home, beating on my car a little bit while driving on the interstate. after passing someone i felt a couple of little surges, then the car drove normally for the next 5 min till i slowed down off an exit. i started hearing a knocking noise, thinking it was one of the other cars around me i drove on a few blocks till i figured out it was my car.

as i slowed to a stop the oil light came on. i drove 1 block to my house and parked. i checked the engine oil level and it was perfectly normal (had changed it last weekend, and checked numerous times since then), also checked filter and pan for leaks, nothing was found, all good.

i then rented a code reader, the only code that came up was p1388, a code that i have battled with, had checked by mechanics numerous times, and replaced all coils and plugs. dealership, local mechanic and i all agreed that the code i was getting was related to the notorious "false flagging codes" of the 01 s-type.

Anyways, I have had that code come and go for the last year and a half, and the car drives practically perfectly!, even today up until i started to hear the knocking....

Could this be an oil pump? oil control/ cam / other solenoid failure?

Wouldn't any problem atleast give me an ODB code?????

IM ASSUMING I MIGHT NEED A NEW ENGINE EVEN IF THE PROBLEM WAS PART FAILURE, WTF ! I HAVE DEFENDED JAGUAR BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ... ANY IDEAS ???? EXPERIENCE / ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!
What year is your car and what engine? Looked at your profile 2001 3.0 Is this correct?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 PM

yes 2001 s-type 3.0

Old 05-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

1. Did you have the reflash done that cures false-flagging?

2. Did you read the recent thread about P1388 including Brutal's helpful, detailed comments and recommendations?
If not, do
But yours now sounds bad, sorry to say it.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
1. Did you have the reflash done that cures false-flagging?

2. Did you read the recent thread about P1388 including Brutal's helpful, detailed comments and recommendations?
If not, do
But yours now sounds bad, sorry to say it.
I must assume you read this https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=37124

Thought I would give you something to read
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ighlight=p1388

Last edited by Gus; 05-21-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

I had not read his second post of the same issue because I was reading in time order. It helps if people don't multiply-post problems.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I had not read his second post of the same issue because I was reading in time order. It helps if people don't multiply-post problems.
I agree! They often feel if they did not reach the right person the first time the second time would be the one. I am a bit curious because I just purchased a 2000 3.0 s-type!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

P1388 is VERY rare on here - but does happen. At least 2 members have reported it over the last few months. Both have been recommended to make sure the reflash was done to cure false-flagging of P1388. One now has other codes or doesn't, it's unclear. I don't know if this guy on this thread has had the reflash but it may be irrelevant given the problem reported

I'd check yours has the up to date PCM calibration but otherwise not worry. Read a load of posts about your era (pre-redesign 2002/3) and check/fix the usual stuff. hmm, plugs due soon LOL

I'd buy an OBD tool and spend time checking all appears OK (or not) and of course the wokshop manual if you don't have it.

I'd also read the forum stickies and especially check out the TSBs.

Last edited by JagV8; 05-21-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

P1388 is VERY rare on here - but does happen. At least 2 members have reported it over the last few months. Both have been recommended to make sure the reflash was done to cure false-flagging of P1388. One now has other codes or doesn't, it's unclear. I don't know if this guy on this thread has had the reflash but it may be irrelevant given the problem reported

I'd check yours has the up to date PCM calibration but otherwise not worry. Read a load of posts about your era (pre-redesign 2002/3) and check/fix the usual stuff. hmm, plugs due soon LOL

I'd buy an OBD tool and spend time checking all appears OK (or not) and of course the wokshop manual if you don't have it.

I'd also read the forum stickies and especially check out the TSBs.
John,
Thank You! The car is at the paint shop getting the passenger door repainted. It like all other Jags the clear coat is pealing. I will take the time to read the TSB and see what has been done. I do have info on that car and I also use AllData along with a work shop manual along with an OBD reader. I know I will have a lot of questions.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:02 PM

reflash was done by the dealership, codes came back.

had all coils and plugs changed, codes came back,

the car has been driving near perfect, and codes (p1383 was solved, p1388 has came up recently) would appear and disappear randomly....

the car currently runs but sounds terrible with the knocking, like an engine not getting oil would,

the oil pressure light came on so i am assuming it is oil supply related.

any ideas?

i have been one of the people posting about these codes for the last year and still haven't solved anything, now my car is broken, and i'm hoping that this could atleast avoid happening to other people with this problem.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

the car has been driving near perfect, and codes (p1383 was solved, p1388 has came up recently) would appear and disappear randomly....

the car currently runs but sounds terrible with the knocking, like an engine not getting oil would,

any ideas?

i have been one of the people posting about these codes for the last year and still haven't solved anything, now my car is broken, and i'm hoping that this could atleast avoid happening to other people with this problem.

I wish I had an answer for you but like you I am on the outside looking in for an answer. I feel the pain, I recall the painful moments trying to get answers on the convertible top problem on the xk8/r

Old 05-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member

any ideas?
BRUTAL has already answered that.

"These codes" - the only one that's novel AFAIK is P1388 and Brutal has covered it. Any others such as misfires are fairly common on here (and indeed other car forums) and so are the fixes.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I feel the knocking noise plus oil pressure light illuminating at idle does NOT bode well...
I've not done this sort of work for a long time, but if its possible to drop the sump lift a big-end cap, examine the condition of the shells and crankpin. A semi-melted appearance to the shell will confirm damage. The big question, should this be so, is WHY? It's VERY unusual these days, maybe some oil starvation -- a senior member familiar with stripdowns will know.
Leedsman.