Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out-Pulled a BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Out-Pulled a BMW M5

Yes my friends, today an 03 M5 (394 hp @ 368 lb/ft trq) was outpulled by an 03 STR with a full exhaust mod (engine back) estimated at 425 hp @ 435 lb/ft trq. Same highway, three lanes, and level. @ 75 mph we went at it. Once again the STR confidently pulled away...bye bye!, no if's and's, or but's. Mina Gallery 1.5 pulley goes on tomorrow or Sunday. Recon a tuner or send out ECU and looking into air intake tube mod. Anyone with an STR who feels too feeble to take on the world would recieve a huge boost in confidence with a just a full exhaust mod alone. Imagine what a smaller pulley and an ECU tune would do to compliment a full exhaust mod? I'm confident that 30 to 50 more hp and trq. will be had. Also folks! After the full exhaust mod I performed a hard reset of the ECU. I taught her to shift from 1st to 2nd at 5500 rpm and 2nd to 3rd at the rev limiter (6250+). This wasn't possible without the full exhaust mod. Wether it's from a dead stop or at 75 mph, slamming the go pedal down allows her to either smoke or keep up with many off the shelf muscle.

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-27-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Shouldn't a stock STR pull away as well? It does have more torque and about the same HP. What's an 03 M5 weigh?

Don't try that with the new ones though. ;>))

Bob S.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Bob, yes a stock STR does produce similar hp and a little more trq. than an 03 M5, but the BMW's ECU, transmission (auto. or manual), and LSD rear differential (lower final drive ratio than an STR) are calibrated to make the engine and trans. "run" harder than the STR's. A stock M5 can do the 0 to 60 sprint in 4.9 seconds and click off a 13 second flat 1/4 mile. With an opened exhaust almost all holds (except a detuned ECU and a lack of an LSD) are untethered from the STR's true capabilities. I'm confident the way my STR sits now it'll take a V8 M5 in 0-60 and 1/4 mile, and all I did was pop in a K&N air filter, perform a full exhaust mod (engine to exhaust tips), and an ECU hard reset. Following in the foot steps of guys like Riski with his full exhaust mod and 2.5 pulley should enable my STR to even or beat a late model M5 (V10, 500 hp @ 383 lb/ft trq., 0-60 in 4.8 seconds). At this juncture I feel she's churning out 425 hp and 430 lb/ft. trq. and is close to the V10 M5 4.8 0-60 sprint. Torque hurls us off the line while horse power does the rest of the work. Soon you'll see 500 plus hp and trq. LSD (limited slip differential) STR's near the top of the sport sedan food chain.

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-27-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone say my name?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Some of us know what you've done to your STR Riski, so you don't have to hide behind the couch anymore.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

I always have extra goodies that not everyone knows

I have a "extra" NX Nitrous kit, brand new for sale if you wanna try to keep up with me....

Old 08-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Had a 150 hp NO2 kit for my Stang but wasn't confident the motor could handle it. Did you try it out on the STR?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

maybe a 75 shot here and there
Gonna add some meth down the road to cool her down when it comes into the boost....No need for 2 kits, buy this new one
Name:  DSC_9708.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  88.6 KB

Old 08-28-2010, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member

Geez, in stock form the thing is a GD rocket. I think you live in a pretty crowded urban area right? Where are you guys going to drive and safely be able to use all this power?

You should get involved in doing track events because sooner or later ...

Bob S.

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Hi Bob, yes a stock STR does produce similar hp and a little more trq. than an 03 M5, but the BMW's ECU, transmission (auto. or manual), and LSD rear differential (lower final drive ratio than an STR) are calibrated to make the engine and trans. "run" harder than the STR's. A stock M5 can do the 0 to 60 sprint in 4.9 seconds and click off a 13 second flat 1/4 mile. With an opened exhaust almost all holds (except a detuned ECU and a lack of an LSD) are untethered from the STR's true capabilities. I'm confident the way my STR sits now it'll take a V8 M5 in 0-60 and 1/4 mile, and all I did was pop in a K&N air filter, perform a full exhaust mod (engine to exhaust tips), and an ECU hard reset. Following in the foot steps of guys like Riski with his full exhaust mod and 2.5 pulley should enable my STR to even or beat a late model M5 (V10, 500 hp @ 383 lb/ft trq., 0-60 in 4.8 seconds). At this juncture I feel she's churning out 425 hp and 430 lb/ft. trq. and is close to the V10 M5 4.8 0-60 sprint. Torque hurls us off the line while horse power does the rest of the work. Soon you'll see 500 plus hp and trq. LSD (limited slip differential) STR's near the top of the sport sedan food chain.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member

Bob, definitely safety first. The road challenges are very few and brief, in between basically normal driving. Riski, how is the NO2 plumbed in? Wet or dry? I read the best and safest is to plumb to a shrader valve on the fuel rail. Does the STR have a shrader valve on its fuel rail? Some guys fog in from airbox.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Riski - I saw that you have a 2.5 pulley. did you modify the nose to accept this pulley yourself? any tips on how to do it?

thanks

Old 08-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rocklandjag
Riski - I saw that you have a 2.5 pulley. did you modify the nose to accept this pulley yourself? any tips on how to do it?

thanks

Yes I had to modify it....and it is a 3lb pulley

Old 08-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

wet shot ofcourse....could run dry at a 75 as well.....mine is in the intake tube....

Old 08-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

numbers Riski?

Old 08-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Yes my friends, today an 03 M5 (394 hp @ 368 lb/ft trq) was outpulled by an 03 STR with a full exhaust mod (engine back) estimated at 425 hp @ 435 lb/ft trq. Same highway, three lanes, and level. @ 75 mph we went at it. Once again the STR confidently pulled away...bye bye!, no if's and's, or but's. Mina Gallery 1.5 pulley goes on tomorrow or Sunday. Recon a tuner or send out ECU and looking into air intake tube mod. Anyone with an STR who feels too feeble to take on the world would recieve a huge boost in confidence with a just a full exhaust mod alone. Imagine what a smaller pulley and an ECU tune would do to compliment a full exhaust mod? I'm confident that 30 to 50 more hp and trq. will be had. Also folks! After the full exhaust mod I performed a hard reset of the ECU. I taught her to shift from 1st to 2nd at 5500 rpm and 2nd to 3rd at the rev limiter (6250+). This wasn't possible without the full exhaust mod. Wether it's from a dead stop or at 75 mph, slamming the go pedal down allows her to either smoke or keep up with many off the shelf muscle.
I'm sorry but this is really hard to believe. Your exhaust does not make more hp than my 1.5 pulley. Realistically it makes 5-10hp. How does a 5.3 sec car outrun a 4.9 sec car with 10 extra hp?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
numbers Riski?
What numbers do you want?

Old 08-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Brian, did you perform a full exhaust mod prior to or after a 1.5 pulley upgrade? With out a doubt with no if's and or but's, a K&N filter and full exhaust mod (hi-flow cats, x-pipe, 2 1/2" pipe, resonator-delete to flow-through mufflers) on a stock STR will out perform a 1.5 pulley stand-alone mod thoughout most if not all of the RPM range. A properly executed free-flowing exhausted STR will produce a 25+ hp and trq gain. I'll pay for the dyno run for both owners who dyno-run with only a stock exhaust and a 1.5 pulley vs a full exhaust mod without a pulley (up to $50 for one pull only). Why?, you may ask. Well, when delving into the stock allready well-pulleyed, just about maxed-out efficiency of the STR's blower, we have been curious as to what's holding this bitch back? Many here have asked the same question...I pulleyed her but only feel a gain on the bottom and low part of the mid-range, like she fell off just before the long run. The answer is simple...Jaguar purposely detuned the STR not in the blower dept. but in the ECU and exhaust dept. Hey, a stock 13 lbs of boost is formidable but what happened to the ECU and exhaust? If you haven't read the responses of those who examined and opened the exhaust then sent their ECU's for a tune then you're missing out on the fun. These guys are freaking over the change of personality of their STR's. I'll go as far to assert that on an already blown engine with an already near maxed-out blower...a 1.5 pulley is the compliment to an already formidable exhaust mod. The STR is rated at close to 400 hp. If you examine similar cars with similar power ranges you'll find that they have freer flowing exhausts and more aggressive ECU tuning than the STR. What are you going to do with a 1.5 or 2.5/3.0 pulley when trying to push more air into an air pump with conservative inlet and outlet plumbing? A blown moter LOVES a low restriction air intake and exhaust. I cut away the stock STR's cats, resonator, and muffler...what a sin! My Magnaflow exhaust flows a huge more volumne of air than stock and it actually made for a cooler running engine. I bet the ECU advances my timing instead of retarding it as compared to when heat built up with the stock exhaust bottleneck. In stock form the STR's ECU plays a rich fuel mixture card. With a free flowing exhaust there is a leaning out effect; creating a lot of power. Iv'e driven my patients all stock 03 STR and he's driven mine...no comparison. 10 hp gain from a full exhaust mod on a blown engine? Sorry dude... closer to 35 hp and trq. Before pulleying, please perform an air intake and exhaust mod, then a pulley mod, finishing with an ECU tune to pull it alltogether.

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-29-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Ill run any of you

Old 08-29-2010, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BrianS-TypeR
I'm sorry but this is really hard to believe. Your exhaust does not make more hp than my 1.5 pulley. Realistically it makes 5-10hp. How does a 5.3 sec car outrun a 4.9 sec car with 10 extra hp?
I'm not taking sides in this p*ssing contest as I'm basiclly a skeptic until it's a repeated preformance documentd by someone other than the owner.

But ... keep in might that manufactureres offical HP & torque ratings have to be demonstrated to be constant after a number of repeated tests. I forget how many. So for a turbo charged or supercharged engine the initial rating will be higher. The car will go a lot better when the intake tract is nice and cold ... That can be quite an advantage.

Bob S.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

Riski, your STR is a prime example of a blown engine with a less restrictive intake and exhaust to accomode a larger volumn of air under forced induction= More Power. Without your full exhaust mod your 3.0 pulley would backup air trying to escape a bottleneck and in the process compound heat= Loss of Power. My STR actually runs cooler under the hood since the engine back full exhaust mod. I'm Jonesing to see what the 1.5 pulley will do now. It's going on this week for sure. Then I'm going up to Chicago to either kick Riski's STR's *** or copy it (LOL!). Not too sure about running NO2? This is my daily driver.

Quick Reply: Out-Pulled a BMW M5