Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside Driver's -side Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 12:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Outside Driver's -side Mirror

Good Afternoon -

The driver's side mirror on my 2006 S-Type has stopped moving. The passenger side mirror operates fine.

Have tested all the fuses associated with the driver's door/module/mirror and they test good. Figure either the motor for the driver's side mirror has failed or the mirror switch on the window/mirror panel is bad.

Regardless of the part that failed, I will have to remove the door panel on the driver's door. Once the panel is removed, how do I determine whether it's the mirror motor or mirror switch that"s bad?

If anyone has worked through this issue before, would appreciate your insights on troubleshooting it.

Kind regards,

Old 01-23-2023, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,526 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Maybe you could remove just the mirror cover to do testing?

I must say I'm thinking aloud - I don't know if that is the best thing to do.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:45 AM
Received 158 Likes on 124 Posts

I have a similar problem. I removed, stripped and cleaned the control panel (must be done by removing entire door panel). Amazingly, that fixed the problem…for about a week.
I tried replacing the control panel with one from a later model. That was a waste of time and money; they look identical but are not compatible.
I am told the mechanism on the mirror itself is a common weak spot and needs lubrication.
I have yet to try that.
I also can’t help wondering if there is a break in the wiring that flexes when the door opens.
Sorry I haven’t got the answers yet, i just thought I would chime in with my own experience.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Maybe you could remove just the mirror cover to do testing?

I must say I'm thinking aloud - I don't know if that is the best thing to do.
Thank you. That sounds reasonable; however, my attempts to remove the mirror cover haven't been successful, and I'm afraid of either scratching the paint or breaking it.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:39 AM

Appreciate your input. Had not considered the possibility of a wiring breakage issue. Still need to figure out how and where to test both th with and the motor to determine where the fault lies.

Old 01-31-2023, 12:09 PM
Default UPDATE #1 - Outside Driver's -side Mirror

Received my new driver's side mirror motor and set about removing the old motor and replacing it with the new. Armed with knowledge gained from several forum posts and an excellent YouTube video by a gentleman named John, I set about my task.

Removing the mirror glass; swapping out the old motor with the new; and re-attaching the mirror glass went as advertised. All parts were where they needed to be and there was no breakage.

Feeling very pleased, I turned on the vehicle, selected the left side mirror, and attempted to position it...Nothing happened.

Have checked all the fuses; my OBD2 reader shows the LH door module is good; and the right-side mirror works fine.

Thinking that the problem is in the driver's side window/mirror control switch panel (XR837169), or there is a broken wire from this panel to the driver's side mirror. Need to think about this before I order a new window/mirror control switch panel (XR837169).

On the bright side I have a new mirror motor and a possible spare.

Open to any ideas on how to proceed.

Kind regards,

Last edited by captbob73; 01-31-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:05 PM
Received 2,623 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Here is a link to the Electrical Guide:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ksf8ird8...006on.pdf?dl=0

Old 02-04-2023, 08:32 AM

Thank you.

Old 02-05-2023, 04:37 PM

Removed my driver's door interior panel, and changed out the master window/mirror/memory control panel hoping it would resolve my driver-side mirror issue (no movement). It did not.

To date, have replaced the mirror motor and the master window/mirror/memory control panel. Neither fixed the problem.

Considering my options, I can either replace the door control module or look for a wiring issue. Here's what I know about each option:
  • Replacing the Door Control Module
    • ​​​​​​​The installed module in the door has a tag that reads "Driver's Seat Module (315 MHz). 4R83-13C791-AB"
    • There is no other module in the door (that I see)
    • The wire bundle from the driver-side mirror plugs into a larger wire bundle that plugs into the above module
    • Examining the plugs revealed no apparent issues with the wires -- although there could be a broken wire inside the well-wrapped bundles.
  • Look For a. Wiring Issue
    • ​​​​​​​If this is the likely issue, then the vehicle goes to the shop. Electronics and electricity are not in my skill set.
Surprised to see the module in the door labeled as a "Driver's Seat Module". Was expecting it to be labeled a "Driver's Door Module (DDM), as that is what is listed on my OBD2. (It tested good by the way).

Is there another module in the door, perhaps behind the triangular-shaped moisture barrier?

Bottom line, can pick-up a used Driver's Seat Module (315 MHz). 4R83-13C791-AB on ebay and see if that's the fix or take the vehicle to the shop.

On the bright side, if the module is not the answer and the vehicle goes to the shop, numerous parts have been eliminated as possible causes, and the door panel has already been removed.,

If anyone has a thought on this issue please send it my way.
​​
Kind regards,

Old 02-06-2023, 08:47 AM

Both the mirror motor and control panel are new parts from dealer.

Considering getting a door control module on ebay (found one with the exact number as my current module) to see if it will correct the mirror issue. However, all other functions controlled by the module are working correctly so not sure it is the source of the problem.

Have considered the possibility of a wire issue. Inspected the various plugs; all seem in order. The wiring from the LH mirror to the door control module is all contained in the LH door. A wiring harness from the mirror comes down almost vertically toward the door control module, and ends in a plug. That plug connects to another plug which is connected to a wire harness that plugs into the door control module. See photo below.

No wiring from the LH mirror appears to be routed out the door (inside the rubber boot) to the body of the vehicle.

All said, there could be a wire issue somewhere in one of the plugs or wiring harnesses mentioned above. If there is, then it's off to the shop. Electricity and electronics are not my strong suit. Not even sure how to check each wire and/or plug with my multimeter, and would probably do more damage than good.

Before heading to the shop may either try a door control module swap or at a minimum disconnect the battery to see if the electronics reset.

Kind regards,