S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0892

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012 | 12:21 AM
|
Default P0892

Updated -- Sorry, I flipped the digits. It is P0829, which I did find in the search; although, I didn't see a definitive solution, so comments still appreciated.

I was on a trip back from Vegas to Colorado when I got a gearbox failure message (yellow light). I plugged in the ODB and saw a P0892, with a message saying there was a problem shifting between 5th and 6th. There were no bad sounds and the car seemed to be driving okay. I was on highway to Zion at the time. When I stopped the car at the park gate, it didn't seem like it would shift out of first. I don't think I was using the Jgate when it failed, and after failure the Jgate didn't seem to have any effect. Still wouldn't shift up.

I went a little ways at 30 mph and then let the car cool down a little, reset the error codes, and restarted the car a couple of times. The error cleared and I drove another 400 miles without problems at Highway and interstate speeds. Anyone seen this before? Any suggestions? Car now has 81K on it. Transmission flush? Could it have been a temperature issue (ambient was 100+, coolant temp solidly in middle of gauge). Can you bump the jgate and cause something like this? Is this an early warning sign of something worse or just a fluke?

Did a search and didn't see any P0892 errors listed.

Thanks,

Chuck

Last edited by Illini; 06-23-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2012 | 01:43 AM
Veteran Member

Very odd - it's not in the codes PDF. I vaguely wonder if it's being badly reported by your OBD tool but if not first thing is to check the 2 bolts on side of trans for the shifter cable are present and snug.