S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1388 code after new timing chains car still making a lot of noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 s type P1388 code after new timing chains and car still making a lot of noise

Ok One last desperate attempt before I get rid of the car. A few months ago I had a friend who I paid replace the timing chains and tensioners my 2001 as type 4.0 V-8. The car had been making a racket and after reading this form I thought that was the problem.

After replacing the tensioners guides and change the car was put back together and still made a lot of noise. He took it back apart and found that the incorrect bolts were used to tighten down the upper tensioners so those were replaced timing was rechecked car was sealed up. Started up again and still a lot of noise. By noise I mean loud clacking noises

At that point I walked away from it disgusted and just let it sit until today. I picked it up from my friends and drove it home It made a hell of a racket.

When I got home I put a code reader on the car and it pulled up the P1388 code which I believe is bank 2 timing retarded and I believe has to do with possibly the vvt

Between paying my friend and the parts timing chain water pump everything else I've spent about $3000 dollars.

However should seeing this code bring false hope to my fools heart?

If the timing was set incorrectly could that be creating this loud noise. If so it probably screwed up my engine although it was very noisy before.

I have learned a valuable lesson at least. first is to take this car only to someone who knew what they were doing as far As having experience working on these cars already . And if I couldn't find someone I could afford I should've just cut my losses

Anyway right now I think my two choices are one just sell it forget it take my loss As painful dollarwise as it will be.

The other choice is to take it to a Jag repair shop and have them somehow check the timing and if it's off and they fix it it's no guarantee that my car will run correctly. Or I could find out it's Valves Or a rod etc.

Suggestions are needed. My wife is being unusually supportive of my wasting our money.

Last edited by jsilva1; 01-23-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hi J, I am feeling your pain from half way round the world;

I am sure someone closer to you in the Bay area will chime in and offer to help - Jag owners around the world tend to support each other and I am sure your case will be no different. Hang in there mate ...

In the meantime, I suggest you record a short video/sound clip and post that here for some of our tech gurus to analyse.
Best wishes.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Can you provide a bit more information?

Were all the chains and all the tensioners changed? Secondary (the easy ones) and the primaries along with the slipper rails?

Did he use the proper tools? The cams must be locked down before changing anything. Yes people have used the so called zip tie method but that has a lot of potential for mistiming. The crank must be locked down too. These are not cheap tools.

That VVT code makes me suspicious that the engine is not timed correctly too.

Any chance you might have some contact between the valves and the pistons?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Based on the fact

Originally Posted by tbird6
Can you provide a bit more information?

Were all the chains and all the tensioners changed? Secondary (the easy ones) and the primaries along with the slipper rails?

Did he use the proper tools? The cams must be locked down before changing anything. Yes people have used the so called zip tie method but that has a lot of potential for mistiming. The crank must be locked down too. These are not cheap tools.

That VVT code makes me suspicious that the engine is not timed correctly too.

Any chance you might have some contact between the valves and the pistons?

That the OP said "timing chains" I would be inclined to say that your timing is off! Did your mechanic use the proper tools?