S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park assist, backup sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park assist, backup sensor problem

The park assist on my 2003 Stype 4.2 recently stopped working. No beeps. I followed the advice from another thread and confirmed that I do have a ticking sound coming from each of the bumper sensors when the car is in reverse and key in the run position. This leads me to believe that the piezo has gone bad (or possibly the wiring to it). Problem is, I can't locate the piezo.
Can anyone tell me where it is?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 PM

select edition covered mine when this happened to me so, sorry i dont have any technical info for ya, however just a warning, those sensors(if you have to replace one) donot come painted so a body shop will have to color match.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 PM

My also recently stopped working. It's located in the trunk, in the lower left hand side of the spare tire wheel. You can't miss it.

Mine had stopped working after all these rain we've in Cali. I found about six inches of water sitting in the truck and the senor was siting in the water...

There a few people of this board that can get you a used one and or you can always check ebay.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Having a little problem here also. But not complete silence. My rear bumper cover was removed for a complete repaint. The sensors (which were working fine) were dismounted by the body shop for protection as the cover got some pretty heavy prep work.

Back together looking great but...

The backup system emits one long (about 20 second) continuous tone the first time the car is put in reverse after starting. Regardless of surrounding objects or none. Then no further sounds no matter what happens until the engine is shut down and restarted. Then the long tone upon the first reverse. It's 100% repeatable.

This is not a symptom I've heard from others. Have you?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by wedgewa
Having a little problem here also. But not complete silence. My rear bumper cover was removed for a complete repaint. The sensors (which were working fine) were dismounted by the body shop for protection as the cover got some pretty heavy prep work.

The backup system emits one long (about 20 second) continuous tone the first time the car is put in reverse after starting. Regardless of surrounding objects or none. Then no further sounds no matter what happens until the engine is shut down and restarted. Then the long tone upon the first reverse. It's 100% repeatable.

I have the exact same thing. This happened after a manual car wash. I listened to the buzz and found that one of the sensors is dead but was not able to change it yet. Try that yourself - it's possible that either the sensor went bust or the wiring wasn't connected properly.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 AM

Thanks all
I have checked all the bumper sensors. All appear to working which also indicates that the problem is not the park assist control unit located in the wheel well. This leads me to believe that the problem is the sounding device that makes the beeps which must be located somewhere in the passenger compartment (or the wiring to it). I'm calling it a piezo but it could be some sort of small speaker. I dont know where it is and since it no longer beeps, I can't trace it down.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,945 Posts

Last I heard it's on or under the "parcel" (don't use it for them!) shelf. A search here for
parcel shelf
might find you details.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nerius
I have the exact same thing. This happened after a manual car wash. I listened to the buzz and found that one of the sensors is dead but was not able to change it yet. Try that yourself - it's possible that either the sensor went bust or the wiring wasn't connected properly.
Great tip. Turned out the left-most sensor plug behind the bumper was not fully seated. A little hard to reach but once pushed on firmly - all is well.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 AM

Great tip. Turned out the left-most sensor plug behind the bumper was not fully seated. A little hard to reach but once pushed on firmly - all is well.
Did you have to push it from inside of the bumper? How were you able to reach it? Need to fix mine as well.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nerius
Did you have to push it from inside of the bumper? How were you able to reach it? Need to fix mine as well.
Well, to be exact, it wasn't me who reached it but I watched. Went back to the shop where the bumper covers were painted. They REALLY did not want to take the bumper cover off the car again! The only access without removal is from below. The left corner sensor is above the muffler and not really visible though it is possible to see the cable. It took the skinniest arm in the shop to reach the plug by feel. He was able to feel that one side of the plug was not clipped in. With some wiggling and pushing, it snapped in and that was it.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

exact same issue, far side passenger sensor i think is bust, after a manual car wash, now what

Old 03-26-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
exact same issue, far side passenger sensor i think is bust, after a manual car wash, now what
Again, the long tone indicates either a bad sensor or a bad electrical connection. The problem with my S was a loose sensor plug after a shop dismantled the bumper cover for repaint. Hard to reach from below but possible. Elsewhere around here it says the bumper cover must come off the car to replace a sensor if that's required. Certainly worth trying to reseat the connector plug before taking that on. If water got into the connector, that and a little contact cleaner might be all it needs.

I think (though not sure) that the sensor system parts are the same for the S and X cars. But the bumpers are different. My X-Type is a wagon so I don't have a sedan to look at here.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:33 AM

Well, to be exact, it wasn't me who reached it but I watched. Went back to the shop where the bumper covers were painted. They REALLY did not want to take the bumper cover off the car again! The only access without removal is from below. The left corner sensor is above the muffler and not really visible though it is possible to see the cable. It took the skinniest arm in the shop to reach the plug by feel. He was able to feel that one side of the plug was not clipped in. With some wiggling and pushing, it snapped in and that was it.
Oh, I see. Since mine is the second from the left I don't think it will be that easy. Or even possible for that matter.