S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parkbrake Fault warning.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Parkbrake Fault warning.

Hello all, My 2005 S Type 3.0 gives me this ParkBrake Fault warning in the message center when ever its really cold outside. And I have to turn the car off and open the door. Then turn the alarm on and off and restart the car to make it go away. Some times 2 or 3 times to make it go away. Any ideas? The battery is strong. Starts the car right off.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

The battery may start the car but that does not mean its good, i'll put my money on a failing battery.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Can't imagine why your Chinese fire drill helps in clearing the warning. Maybe it's legit and the mechanism is faulty? Check the actuator, bowden cables and caliper mechanisms.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

I would try the parking brake recalibration procedure first. I dont remember the exact process but I know it has been discussed here several times but should be easy to find with a quick search.

If that doesnt work I would run to the local auto parts store and have them test the battery just to make sure it truly is good. I had all kids of gremlins with my 03 STR when the battery had failed, I just didnt know it had failed... Yeah I know...

And last but not least if that doesnt solve the problem you may have either an issue with the actuator / EPB module or worse the parking brake motor itself could be going bad. The motor itself is only a couple of $100 bucks, but getting to it is a first class pain in the rear! Its located right above the rear axle and not much room to move around let alone remove such a big component. I think Brutal has done it and has a thread on that as well, I just ended up taking mine to the dealer and it cost me about $785 parts and labor all in...

Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Battery is #1 suspect so check its date. The autostores are poor at Properly testing batteries for modern cars

Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Park Brake Fault

If your display cycles through the following:
Engine Systems Fault, Dsc not available, Park brake fault
Then this is a simple (although allusive) problem. Some people have spent hundreds and even thousands of dollars replacing half the engine to repair it.

The problem is that moisture is getting into the connection to the throttle positioning sensor. This connector can be found on the throttle body. There are two electrical connectors to the throttle body. One has two (2) wires for the throttle motor and the other has four (4) wires for the TPS. Remove the engine shroud and you will see them clearly.

The lock on the connector is pressed in to unlock and then pull the connector apart. Thoroughly clean the connection with a spray solvent electrical cleaner (CRC is a good brand) and stuff the connection with dielectric grease. This is sometimes called "Bulb Grease" at the parts store. Put plenty of grease into both sides of the connections. The excess will squeeze out when you plug them together. The grease will displace any moisture still in the connection and also seal the connector from future moisture.

Don't invest is a new throttle body or MAF sensor and any other high priced part to solve this problem.

A dealer will immediately diagnose this as a throttle body and when they replace the throttle body they will put dielectric grease in the connections and (miraculously) the problem goes away, along with $1,000 or your money.

Best of luck,
Jeff

Last edited by jeffg; 12-10-2012 at 01:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
belawidi (04-28-2014)
Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

His does not sound at all to be the TB.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffg
If your display cycles through the following:
Engine Systems Fault, Dsc not available, Park brake fault
Then this is a simple (although allusive) problem. Some people have spent hundreds and even thousands of dollars replacing half the engine to repair it.

The problem is that moisture is getting into the connection to the throttle positioning sensor. This connector can be found on the throttle body. There are two electrical connectors to the throttle body. One has two (2) wires for the throttle motor and the other has four (4) wires for the TPS. Remove the engine shroud and you will see them clearly.

The lock on the connector is pressed in to unlock and then pull the connector apart. Thoroughly clean the connection with a spray solvent electrical cleaner (CRC is a good brand) and stuff the connection with dielectric grease. This is sometimes called "Bulb Grease" at the parts store. Put plenty of grease into both sides of the connections. The excess will squeeze out when you plug them together. The grease will displace any moisture still in the connection and also seal the connector from future moisture.

Don't invest is a new throttle body or MAF sensor and any other high priced part to solve this problem.

A dealer will immediately diagnose this as a throttle body and when they replace the throttle body they will put dielectric grease in the connections and (miraculously) the problem goes away, along with $1,000 or your money.

Best of luck,
Jeff
Have a similar problem right now. Parke Brake Fault warning together with a Cruise Out of Function warning in the other display. Reset (battery disconnect) only helped for a short time. After two days same warnings have come back. Any suggestions?
Is there a way to re-adjust the park brake without having the Jaguar tool available?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Usually it's a sign the Battery is failing. Usually it will still start the car right up to the point you're stranded.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Usually it's a sign the Battery is failing. Usually it will still start the car right up to the point you're stranded.
+1 on the battery! These batteries start to fail and often electrical gremlins are the only warning you get until one cold morning she won't start at all...

Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou'S
Is there a way to re-adjust the park brake without having the Jaguar tool available?
There's no tool required for parking brake adjustment.

Lou'S (02-07-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
+2 on the battery. Mine did the same thing about two weeks ago. I had trouble getting the parking brake to release so I went to Pep Boys for a new Bosch battery. That cured it.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

had same problem, mine was wacked out dying battery!

Lou'S (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

also i have to point out it's very cold where i am in upstate ny, and my car also always starts but the jags demand for a constant higher voltage because of the million computers LOL, creates even a bad situation for a slightly" weak battery sometimes.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks "JSUPSTARZ", think you hit the very reason for this. My problem also occurred after a cold night parking outside. Resetting the system according the official bulletin (... five times firm braking etc.) cured the problem.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't driven my car in two weeks (longest I've gone in the 4 years I've owned it), and when I went to use it this morning, I too had an EPB error. In my case, the brake is stuck in the on/extended position, so the car was not going anywhere. I am hoping that all it is, is a discharged battery from so little use. The car really hesitated on start-up and it has been cold for the last few weeks. Hopefully this procedure will fix it: EPB Calibration

Neovit78 (02-16-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Could it be frozen?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi All,
I'm fairly certain the problem is down to the battery. Recently I left my car in the garage for a couple of weeks and it started up okay but got the message re park-brake, "CANNOT RELEASE HANDBRAKE".
Ran the engine on fast tick over for a few minutes, then switched off and waited for the handbrake warning lights etc., to extinguish, then switched back on and started engine and everything was okay. If the battery is down on charge this does affect the handbrake operation. Also have experienced this when washing and polishing the car having the CD playing whilst working away, which can cause the same problem.
So, if you have this problem try running the engine at 2000rpm for 2mins or so and this should be enough to bring the battery charge level back up. My car still has its original battery, now 8years old, so I can expect things to happen now and then. However it is still performing well at the moment, so will leave well alone.
Hope this is of assistance.
Regards,
Inver. (UK Time 8am 8th Feb 2013)

Last edited by InverStype; 02-13-2013 at 02:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by InverStype:
Doryphoros86 (02-08-2013), Neovit78 (02-16-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Norri: I too thought it could be frozen at first, but considering I put it away dry and in my semi-warm garage, that was lower on my list of likely culprits.

Inver: Thank you very much for your simple low battery fix. I tried that when I got home tonight and it worked! I warmed her up for a couple of minutes (no revving), and then held the RPM at about 2k for a couple of minutes more. Turned the car off, waited for all lights to turn off, turned her back on and presto - no EPB error. I was fearing the worst this morning, but after reading your fix, and then applying it, I can rest easy tonight.
To the OP: I wish you luck in your quest to fix your problem. I know that with continued input from this forum you will have no problem accomplishing that.

Norri (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Doryphoros86
Norri: I too thought it could be frozen at first, but considering I put it away dry and in my semi-warm garage, that was lower on my list of likely culprits.

Inver: Thank you very much for your simple low battery fix. I tried that when I got home tonight and it worked! I warmed her up for a couple of minutes (no revving), and then held the RPM at about 2k for a couple of minutes more. Turned the car off, waited for all lights to turn off, turned her back on and presto - no EPB error. I was fearing the worst this morning, but after reading your fix, and then applying it, I can rest easy tonight.
To the OP: I wish you luck in your quest to fix your problem. I know that with continued input from this forum you will have no problem accomplishing that.
Hi Joshua,
Glad it worked okay for you and that all is now well.
Regards,
Inver. UK Time 12.27pm 9th feb 2013.

Last edited by InverStype; 02-09-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Parkbrake Fault warning.