S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parkbrake Fault warning.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's like the battery is big practical joker, one minute you see your 13k car going to **** with a bunch of faults and your ready to puke, then you reset the battery or get a new one and all is well.............untill next time.

I despise electrical systems on luxury cars. I have a 2000 slk230 and it too is an electrical nightmare. But my dodges and fords never had any electrical issue, ever. I wish the cars could be more simple.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After a 4 week lay up the above issues appeared after a short drive,
I recharged battery overnight and the problems went away, an hour later they returned.
so I replaced battery with top spec new one
problems remain.
Tried the resets I could find on the NET
to no avail.
I used info to over ride the EPB and moved the car.
Powering the park brake motor makes it function normally so I suspect the EPB module
problem is there are none in the UK!
so I can't even buy a new one
a secondhand one is a risk and ideally I would like to get the car on a Diagnostics machine to see what is what.

Any suggestions please

Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Here in the U.S., the last time I checked all car manufacturers who sell their vehicles here must keep parts available for at least 10 years after any model is released for sale to the general public. That doesn't mean that you can always get the part you need within a couple of days, but the law says that the car company must be able to provide you with the part you need within a "reasonable period of time"....

What are the laws in the UK regarding this topic? If certain parts are no longer available for a 2007 model, that's a serious issue that needs some investigation....

Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I think it's 10 years too but I'm by no means certain.

I reckon parts probably ARE available but maybe a franchise has wrongly said not. Used ones will be available and for a module that's what I'd get for the huge cost saving. Note that there are at least 2 types and I reckon a 2007 will have the later type (has CAN bus). But check based on last 6 of VIN as always.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by V40TC
After a 4 week lay up the above issues appeared after a short drive,
I recharged battery overnight and the problems went away, an hour later they returned.
so I replaced battery with top spec new one
problems remain.
Tried the resets I could find on the NET
to no avail.
I used info to over ride the EPB and moved the car.
Powering the park brake motor makes it function normally so I suspect the EPB module
problem is there are none in the UK!
so I can't even buy a new one
a secondhand one is a risk and ideally I would like to get the car on a Diagnostics machine to see what is what.

Any suggestions please
Before making assumptions, I'd put the car up on jackstands and pull both rear wheels to see if it's not something mechanical at the caliper end or the Bowden cables themselves.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 AM

I have been able to release the brake by powering the motor
And reapply,release again so motor is functioning.
I will get it to the garage to get it on some diagnostic equip,then wait for a module if needed, the part is on back order from the USA apparently.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Well
I went to the Dealer
to be told that the autologic could not communicate with the EPB module
and I needed a New one and possible a new park brake Motor, as they suspect that the motor had killed the EPB module. all in inc Labour £530.
I also noticed last evening the Negative terminal on the Battery had cracked and was not very good, so I purchased a new fitting today
when I arrived home I replaced the broken connector and then went to move the car and to my surprise!
No warning lights no failure messages and the EPB working fine!!

I called the dealer they reckon it may go again and have kept the parts order going as the motor and module are on back order.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like yet another case where the quirky electronic fault was created by a weak or dying battery. Hope the new battery solves your issue. Keep us posted....

Footnote: It is truly irresponsible that Jaguar dealers cannot or will not detect these battery issues. I shudder to think of all the money wasted at dealerships for high-dollar parts and labor that were completely unnecessary....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-13-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Any codes? I had a couple S Types that when started to park brake was locked and could not release and it was the battery. So it could be battery but on the other hand it could also be park brake motor assembly. Has it ever locked up on start up and not released?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

By the way "Jon89" if a battery was so easy to diag then there would be no need for this forum thread and multiple other threads. The dealers are there to help and not hinder.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagMaSteR0917:
Brutal (02-15-2013), xjrguy (02-16-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, but I don't buy your excuse. Battery issues are so common in these cars that the dealerships could easily justify keeping a known-to-be-strong shop battery and dropping it in place as a first-things-first approach whenever vehicles are brought in with quirkly electronic issues....

Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by V40TC
Well
I went to the Dealer
to be told that the autologic could not communicate with the EPB module
and I needed a New one and possible a new park brake Motor, as they suspect that the motor had killed the EPB module. all in inc Labour £530.
I also noticed last evening the Negative terminal on the Battery had cracked and was not very good, so I purchased a new fitting today
when I arrived home I replaced the broken connector and then went to move the car and to my surprise!
No warning lights no failure messages and the EPB working fine!!

I called the dealer they reckon it may go again and have kept the parts order going as the motor and module are on back order.
Hi V40TC,
Now you have a proper connection to the Battery posts I think it is safe to say "the faulty connector is or was, the cause of your problems".
All should be well from now on.
Did you read my post in this thread, No 18 down? The Battery is the first thing to check, though sometimes the EHB module in the Boot (Trunk in American) can cause problems, but nine times out of ten, its down to the condition of the Battery.
You may on other occasions experience a message caused by the condition of the rear brake Pads and Discs (Rotas), which can bring up the warning "CANNOT APPLY HANDBRAKE". This usually occurs if these items are fairly worn and in need of replacement.
Hope things have now sorted themselves out and you have no more troubles.
Regards,
Inver. UK Time 9.52PM

Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You went to a Jaguar dealer?? They should be using the proper Factory diagnostic tool NOT Autologic??

This is a big red flag to me. Why pay a large fee for diagnosis when they are not even using the correct tools? That's the whole point of using a dealer is they will have the expensive Jaguar only tools.

The only reason people use Autologic is it's a whole bunch cheaper than the factory IDS or whatever it's called now. Autologic is a good aftermarket scan tool but the dealer should have better?

The factory scan equipment can most certainly talk to all the modules and for that money you should have gotten a definitive answer that the EPB module is bad or not!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Sorry, but I don't buy your excuse. Battery issues are so common in these cars that the dealerships could easily justify keeping a known-to-be-strong shop battery and dropping it in place as a first-things-first approach whenever vehicles are brought in with quirkly electronic issues....
+1 on that.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

I doubt a Jaguar Dealer is allowed to have Autologic instead of SDD/IDS. Something stinks here...

Don't go back to them. Just don't.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I noticed that the 2005 S-Types were the culprits, mine included. It looks like the original batteries last about four years.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

Routine battery maintenance (checking the six cells and topping off the water level as needed) has a lot to do with it. I've done that since the day we acquired our 2005 S-Type in December 2008, and the factory battery is still going strong....

Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Roughly 8 years? Wow, can't grumble at that!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having the same EPB problems last month and thought it was frozen cables. I got the car up in the air and checked all of the cables, calipers and they were not frozen. Was considering removing the EPB actuator, big job, and decided to run 12 volts directly to the actuator motor instead, the motor was fine. So I replaced the battery, mine was the orignal battery, as suggested on this forum and guess what, no more EPB problems since.

The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Quick Reply: Parkbrake Fault warning.