S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Pawl Blues update..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 04:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Parking Pawl Blues update..

Afternoon all...after a few months of head down bum up I finally have 10 minutes to post an update on the stuck-in-park issues I was having. Also the aircon saga (no cold air at all).

To recap - after having the parking pawl replaced with the updated design I was still having issues with it being stuck in Park every now and then. I did my own digging around and eventually took the interlock solenoid out of the sequence and it's no longer ever ever stuck in park. I had it to an auto electrician/aircon guru who found no problems anywhere else in the electrics so we concluded the solenoid is just old and intermittently tired and emotional. Not really too worried about replacing the j-gate just for the solenoid, and who's to say a j-gate of the same age won't have the same problem? So, live with it like this. No problem..

The aircon? well, it was a DRAMA!! Replaced the DCCV and condenser with parts supplied by the seller (with all the appropriate badging and packaging, sourced from England, won't name the supplier), still no good. The seller had already replaced the compressor, still no good. Took it to the dealer - they diagnosed the condenser and DCCV as being faulty, replaced them, still no good. Took a chance on the control module being dicky. Still no good. Took it to the afore-mentioned auto electrician/aircon guru (who henceforth shall be called Legend) and he pumped it full of nitrogen to a very high pressure and left it for 24 hours. It lost a teeny tiny amount of gas. He spent the next couple of days crawling in and out and up and down and around and around the whole vehicle looking for said leak. Dash semi-apart, the works. EVENTUALLY (and I imagine with a few choice words of woe) he found a tiny tiny smear of oil around the valve on the compressor (he likened it to the valve in a tyre). Such a small amount, such a small leak but that was the problem! Mother of pearl, what a debacle.

And now my friends, I have a black car, in beautiful downtown Western Australia, in summer, with freezing cold air. Hallelujah and pass the tequila!!

Now I have an ignition fault (no codes presented but the misfire error message came up on the mechanics scan thingy) so have ordered coils and spark plugs. Yippee! Something new to learn..

Have a good one
Barbara.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-18-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

While the manifold is off make sure to go deep and change the hose that perishes and causes misfires!

Old 12-17-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
While the manifold is off make sure to go deep and change the hose that perishes and causes misfires!
Any more info you can offer? I assume its a vacuum house from somewhere to somewhere else?

Old 12-17-2014, 06:58 AM
Received 6,355 Likes on 5,533 Posts

Gus to the rescue! Follow this link Barbara.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Barbara Kay (12-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbara Kay
...He spent the next couple of days crawling in and out and up and down and around and around the whole vehicle looking for said leak. Dash semi-apart, the works. EVENTUALLY (and I imagine with a few choice words of woe) he found a tiny tiny smear of oil around the valve on the compressor (he likened it to the valve in a tyre). Such a small amount, such a small leak but that was the problem! Mother of pearl, what a debacle...
Wow! I would send that mechanic a Christmas fruitcake! Sounds like he's earned some extra love.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Wow! I would send that mechanic a Christmas fruitcake! Sounds like he's earned some extra love.
Yep, he does and I did.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-21-2014)