Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For a perfect STR !

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For a perfect STR !

Hi all !

I'm a new user in this forum, but i've seen many threads, about problems with this car.
I have encountered many of your's problems. Water auxiliary tank, steering noise (asd), water pump, ZF Gearbox lurch, software upgrades (various modules) ecc..

Unfortunately i could not find anywhere, a collection with problems and solutions. Software updates to do, etc. ..

My idea is to pick up in this thread, the most common problems of the STR​​. I hope everyone will bring back their experiences, and the solutions adopted to solve the problems.

I think this is only way to have a perfect Jag S-Type R

Thanks

Old 05-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Those aren't STR-specific issues and also they only affect a fraction of the cars. So, this doesn't strike me as a good idea. Sorry.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

There is quite a bit of info in the FAQ sticky.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Those aren't STR-specific issues and also they only affect a fraction of the cars. So, this doesn't strike me as a good idea. Sorry.
I agree 100%. I know my car has 80K miles is an 03 and never had the coolant tank replaced, i know it has not had any factory software changes in the last 50K miles at least, and though it has a slight lurch when rolling to a almost stop and then hitting the gas its really not much of a big deal. No water leaks etc... Those issues only hit curtain cars.

Mine did have the valve cover gaskets replaced, all the coils and had some battery issues untill it was changed.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Come on, admit it. You want an S-Type. We understand and would love for you to join us.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Some STR-specific issues - which are rare - include: TB connector corrosion (TB at engine rear, but requires you to have water leaking where it shouldn't) and the hose under the SC can leak (requires you to be unlucky, it seems).

General STR- issues: access in the engine bay is tight. (No ****, what did you expect....)

I really can't think of enough to warrant a specific thread.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

I caution anyone to say they have not had any problems, as we all know Murphy will apply one of his Laws and the next thing you know your tranny is laying on the blacktop after that sick burnout you did and your seat heater melts your Levi's to your leg.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Default You mad man!

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I caution anyone to say they have not had any problems, as we all know Murphy will apply one of his Laws and the next thing you know your tranny is laying on the blacktop after that sick burnout you did and your seat heater melts your Levi's to your leg.

LOL! Chris speaks the truth and ended it with a LOL! "and your seat heater melts your Levi's to your leg". LOL!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i would say themostat is common area, and i had one of the freaky torque converter issues.

emergency brake motor seems to be pretty common

coolant tank is pretty common

and on the STR specifically the emergency brake pads seem to go rapidly since all they do is hold the car when parked, (albeit they function with the ABS also)

Old 05-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Well, if you are either a prospective owner or current (can't tell by your post) the FAQ section does exactly what you are suggesting..

Read up and welcome..

Old 05-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Thank you all for contributions, really appreciated.

First of all, an apology, I should have been introduced myself explaining that I currently own an Arden 2002 STR with some interesting add-ons like quick-silver exhausts, eurotoys kit, arden shock absorbers and so on... i LOVE the STR.
Last but not least, sorry for my english but it's not my native language.

Back on topic, I agree with you, but not completely. Unfortunately, the STR​​, in many cases, has redundant problems that can arise in many km of difference, between the user and the user. Some problems are just a matter of time, and when they occur is a "drama". I think it's good to provide some solutions, to avoid the worst.

For example, between the windscreen and bonnet, in many models there are water leaks directly to the throttle body. I have seen on TechDoc or Autodata, a guide to isolate the problem. The consequences of this problem, apparently insignificant, could be disastrous for electronics and mechanics. Few people are aware of this anomaly.

Then there are issues of comfort, that I believe many of you know. For example, the rearview mirror, after a while could become noisy. Just take it apart, squeeze the metal tabs, and put a bit of fabric insulation at the point of attachment, that's it!
Other example, the oil reservoir tube (steering) breaks! Many of you have the "straight" (old) tube, after a while (or km) it breaks and leaks oil! Few people know that the code "XR826044" has been replaced with "XR843197".

Just to make my point clearer. Thanks again for your kindness and time.

Paolo

Old 05-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by ^SiRtA^
Back on topic, I agree with you, but not completely. Unfortunately, the STR​​, in many cases, has redundant problems that can arise in many km of difference, between the user and the user. Some problems are just a matter of time, and when they occur is a "drama". I think it's good to provide some solutions, to avoid the worst.Paolo
Well, answer this.. Have you looked at the FAQ section? Have you searched here for the common issues that you mention?

Sorry to be blunt, but all these are talked about with frequency on here. Yes, absolutely agree that there are many common faults...Most of them are not exclusive to the R either..Also, not all of them appear at the same time..but again, I deviate to the FAQ section...

So, if there are other faults that you have repaired and think they are of concern, please write them up in separate threads and ask that they be linked to the FAQ section, since this is the index for stuff like that.

Oh, and update your signature to reflect your car... No doubt our North American users will be a bit confused since the updated S Type and S Type R didn't come here until 2003... Technically your car is a 2002.5...

Old 05-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What "eurotoys kit" are you running and any dyno numbers on the car before/after said kit?

Old 05-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Ditto to qwikcat.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Greetings !

About Eurotoys, i've fitted this kit : Jaguar 4.2L Multi-Piece Supercharger Pulley Kit

with 2,5lb pulley.

The compressor, runs more fastly (rpm sound).

I haven't the opportunity to run my car on dyno, for now, but the car have obtained more power in acceleration. Only anomaly, is a very small "gap" between 2000 and 3000rpm. Maybe i should buy a 1.5 lb pulley (surely I need to remap). The problem is, this car have a Denso ECU... really difficult to remap... any help, appreciated.

The spark plugs (denso iridium power) are new, the air filter is new (K & N filter), new fuel filter, oil (Valvoline Synpower XL 3) with Teflon (Sintoflon) treatment, new oil filter, a quicksilver steel terminals (Jaguar S-Type R "Sports" Performance Exhaust System), 200 sports metal catalysts, exhaust redone with all the steel tube maximized. (greeeat sound !). New lambda (Denso, pre cat) is new ! I think, need to change starting coils (mah...). Probably this is a good solution Performance Ignition - Ignition Modules and Ignition Systems .

Best regards !

Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 AM

I use Yellowstuff brake pads, for my brake system... no noyse, no excessive particle. Very good braking in all conditions !!! Nothing strange consumption, on the pads (more life for this part)! For suspension i use this Arden kit : http://shop.arden.de/jaguar/s-type/s...b-mj-2002.html . Very good suspension.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ^SiRtA^
I use Yellowstuff brake pads, for my brake system... no noyse, no excessive particle. Very good braking in all conditions !!! Nothing strange consumption, on the pads (more life for this part)! For suspension i use this Arden kit : http://shop.arden.de/jaguar/s-type/s...b-mj-2002.html . Very good suspension.
OK - this sounds like a nice ride you got there SiRta...hows about you round out this thread with a pic or two!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm...that's a nice lookin and well overdriven (Eurotoys pulleys) cat.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Nice car!! Quick question.... What is in the center of the lower facia that looks like a third fog lamp? Just curious...

Quick Reply: For a perfect STR !