S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performance upgrades for s-type r?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: performance upgrades for s-type r?

I was talking with a buddy of mine that has a 03' cobra and after visualy inspecting my diff and his I'd conclude that Stype-R's use a 8.8in differential.

If found true, we could place a Quaife 8.8in lsd and not have to worry about the troublesome tcs system anymore...

I need someone to find me the size of the differential on a 03 STR.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 AM

Well, I was running 9.1 in the 1/8th. That's close to high 12's.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Marcus

Contact info?

For what?

Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: MidGaSTR

ORIGINAL: ohsigmachi

If you want to considerably lighten the rotating mass (critical for acceleration) one of the biggest things is light-weight two-piece rotors instead of an all cast rotor. The hub is forged and bolted to the friction surface. Now from a handling point total weight(sprung and unsprung weight)is important, but it is secondary to how that weight is distributed amongst the four wheels. Suspensions can't really be "tuned" until you have an agreable weight distribution. Having the car "corner weighed" and adjusting/shifting weight will be more beneficial to handing as opposed to just removing weight from random parts of the car.
Sir, if you can find me a road worth, reliable set of two-peice rotors for a 03' Stype R I will purchase them right..............about.................now.
Contact Todd at TCE performance... www.tceperformanceproducts.com

They can pretty much make any brake rotor/hat combo known to man, for a price

Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys
I been watching this post from the start. I run a supercharged557 rwhp vett 10.8 in1/4. The #1 problem with superchargers is belt slipping. Forget about changing pulleys the belt will still slip and don't let anyone tell otherwise, more ribs to help stop belt slip. This alone will add Hp.At the begining I ran a 6 rib belt on the vett. belt was slipping Dyno 377 Hp and 417Hp 8 rib belt.Ifyou have 6 ribs now and you go to 8 ribs all pullys + crank, you will think its a new car.Blowworks in N.J. cured the problem with their 8 rib belt pulleys. Hp gain 40 with out doing any thing else. Added Blowerworks water/alki injection system 20Hp gain. This system really works believe me. Greg is one of the top supercharger men in the country and a friend of mine also. My vett. was used as the proto-type for an 8 rib belt setup for the C4 vett. If you spend your money wisely you will get a return for your moneyspent. I know there are many of you guys that want to do upgrages to your STRs. If you want I can talk to Greg about it. Just let me know.
Regards Gene

Old 09-03-2008, 01:27 PM

Eurotek Designs [info@eurotekdesigns.com]

ohsigmachi - I'll keep that in mind when I go to upgrade the brakes.

oilman151 - your right, belt slippage is a huge issue. Another issue is the efficiency of the s/c on our cars now. Once Eurotoysltd finishes the collaboration with Kenne Bell then it won't be a problem to make 500-700hp with our cars. Kenne quotes 70+ percent efficiency which is getting into turbo efficiency ranges.

I'm sure the formula will be like this...
S-Type R + KB supercharger + 3lb pulley + injectors + high flow cats/exhaust = 550+ rwhp.

The question is will the engine take it...

Old 09-03-2008, 02:47 PM

Midgas
When I had the Stock LT1 engine supercharged. It took it only for a while. Pistons and bottom end will not last and forget about the trans, thats the first thing to go. They are built foronly so much power. Thats why I use the 4l80e trans all built up. The 4l80e is a GM400 with overdrive.#1.You need forged pistons a must, main problem. The water and alki will cool the charge by 20% makes a big difference, will stop the ping which will distroy the pistons. Being able to retard the timing is a must when you add boost. When I added the water/alki injection we didn't have to retard the timing any more. Thats were you gain the extra Hp with the water/alki injection. (TIMING )( PISTONS )( TRANS )( INJECTORS )( COMPUTER WORK )( fuel delivery ). Believe me guys this can get very costly in the 15,000 to 20,000 bracket with out any problems and don't be fooled by what people tell you, there is more to it.THE OLD SAYING IS, YOU WANT TO PLAY YOU MUST PAY SO THINK FIRST. A built 4l80e trans with its own computer cost me 5,600 no install. Things brake when start making power. But it sure feels good when you kick it in the ***. This is why Iam trying to find a better trans then the 5r55n in mine 2002 Jag. The guys on the vett. forum with stock lt1engines can beat the 4l60e and get a 100,000 miles. Try an beat ona 5r55n for 10,000 milesand see what happens. I have a reman. trans from Jag, installed by dealer, 6500 mile on it and starting to act up. I baby this car to. Has to be a better transthat will work. I will usemy own computer like in the vett and while sitting in the driver seat I will program the transwhen toshift, down shift, how hard or soft, what RPM to shift when floored, I can even change to pressures in the trans.you name it. When Iam done put the computer in the glove box.
If you wantthe facts and cost that can beinvolved call Greg at(blowerwork.net ) just tell him Gene told you tocall, he will give you an up front answer as to the money involved in a questfor HP.When some one tellyou bigNUMBERS cheap, RUN. I didn't even get into exhaust, remember what gos in must come out.I can go on and on.
Regards

Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM

I think the 4.2L is probably built strong enogh from the factory to cope with moderately elavated power levels. Most OEM forced induction engines are built with an eye toward durability with high power levels. I wouldn't be surprised if the S/C version of the 4.2L has mostly forged internals. Your factory vette motor probably had hypereutectic pistons and possibly even cast rods, not really the optimum setup for forced induction, because it was built to be a naturally aspirated motor. Also, aren't the supercharged jag motors inter-cooled from the factory? I could have sworn the 4.0L XJR and XKR motors were. If you have inter-cooling and the kenne bell blower upgrade gets completed you should be looking at some serious reduction in combustion chamber temperatures, which greatly aids in overall component life-span for things like pistons, valves, and O2 sensors.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:13 PM

ohsigmachi
You are more then likely 100%right about the engine having forged pistons and rods. I do not know if the STR has an inter-cooler or not.The inter-cooler will not cool the charge better then water/alki injection system if it could I would have it on the vett, but don't need it water/alki. I would say the water/alki will drop the charge by about 80 to 100 degrees.Keeps the pistons top nice and clean. Carbon build up will cause ping.Most of the guyson the vett. forum use the water/alki, some take the inter-cooler off.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:29 PM

The only thing about using meth/alchohol injection for the jaguar setup is that I think it would have to go in "upstream" of the blower which can be very bad for the rotors and seals of the blower. Is your vette a centrifugal charger?

Old 09-03-2008, 04:44 PM

Yes it is. The water/alki injector is installed just in front of throttle body. Best place to cool the charge entering the engine.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 AM

I would be hesitant to put water/methanol injection on a roots orKB style blower because the throttle body is upstream of the blower, does anybody know if the STR/XKR/XJR 4.2L motors are intercooled? I'm sure that the intercooler could be upgraded but it would probably be a pricey propsition (when is it ever cheap?) since it would have to be custom packaged to fit the small confines.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 AM

ohsiqmachi
You seem toknow what Iam talking about and your right costly. The money you can spend can get up there.
My best advise to guys wanting to up-grade is change all the pullys + the crank to8 ribs and I think they will be very happy for a while.Problem being the 8 rib crank pully needs to bemade an 8 rib, but that can be made. Iam sure the other pullys can be had maybe. Belt slipping #1 problem. Again we are talking about a Jag. not a chevy parts up the ***. If some one wanted to have all the pullys made, he could sell them on the forum, his time + cost and have a free pully set for himself.
Regards

Old 09-04-2008, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: ohsigmachi

I would be hesitant to put water/methanol injection on a roots orKB style blower because the throttle body is upstream of the blower, does anybody know if the STR/XKR/XJR 4.2L motors are intercooled? I'm sure that the intercooler could be upgraded but it would probably be a pricey propsition (when is it ever cheap?) since it would have to be custom packaged to fit the small confines.
They have two intercooler banks. Just pull off the plastic shroud that says "supercharged" and there are two water to air intercoolers.

I added some royal purple radiator fluid additive and the car cools down faster and stays cooler. Next install is going to be the lower thermostat.

Halfway down, on this page is the picture of the two intercoolers. They say "supercharged" on them... and theyre aluminum.
http://www.eurotoysltd.com/gallary.php

1st column - 10th row

Old 09-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Well that question is answered.
Midgas
I really thing that if someone would do the belt setup, all would be happy.
Midgas
Never asked the question, how many ribs are on the belt?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Old 09-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Oh jam!

Quick Reply: performance upgrades for s-type r?