S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pesky winscreen washer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010 | 01:42 PM
|
Default Pesky winscreen washer.

I've not had my S-type diesel very long when today I needed the w/screen washers -- plenty of motor noise but no squirt! AND I'd already ensured the bottle was full.
Does anyone know if this is an awkward job or more straightforward? I'm a-guessing there's some jellified stuff at the bottom of the bottle that needs cleaning out, like it has been on other cars.
Cheers, Leedsman.

Old 02-10-2010 | 05:09 AM
|
Default Pesky w/w fixed.

I'm happy to report that I fixed the problem this morning in about 10mins. or so. It basically amounted to clearing out the fluid lines.
I detached the little connectors to the wiper blades at the black plastic scuttle and blew through each pipe using lung power alone, thus ensuring both were free.
Then I used my 'sink unblocker' applied to the mouth of the washer bottle with a vigorous in-out action to disturb any blockage in that area. These sink un-blockers will work both ways, sucking and blowing, but you have to block the vent with your finger at the same time. Mine was made by "Rolson" and cost abt. $3 or £1:50. Available in good stores everywhere!
A long test with ignition on and w/w stalk-button depressed resulted in water coming through reliably. All's well that ends well.
Leedsman.

Old 02-10-2010 | 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leedsman
These sink un-blockers will work both ways, sucking and blowing, but you have to block the vent with your finger at the same time. Mine was made by "Rolson" and cost abt. $3 or £1:50. Available in good stores everywhere!
Thank god I read your first post about the problem, before I read the solution

I was going to suggest poking out your nozzles with a pin