S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phantom Malfunction!?!? 8 DTC codes suddenly !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Phantom Malfunction!?!? 8 DTC codes suddenly !!!

Hi,

I am having severe problems with my S-Type 3.0V6 2005.
Suddenly this problem happed. Everything was ok and than suddenly one morning I felt my car doesn't have power. It stalls,max power was 120km yesterday,today 60km/s,and it chokes very much...

I am having 8 errors : P0175,P0300,P0302,P0304,P0306,P1314,P1316,P1582...

I changed all spark plugs,fuel filter,air filter,cleaned fuel nozzles (every one of them is working equally,and in ELM 37 it is showing 0% +- 2-3% in differences between bank 1 and 2...)

Mechanic doesn't have a clue on what to do,nor me!!! So please tell me if someone had such problem and what to do...

I also have LPG which official retailer installed in my car 16000km ago (now 117.000km) and also having FPE (Fuel Pressure Emulator).

Car is having same problems on both fuels...

Old 01-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

They look like codes all on the same bank (2) so why "Phantom"? Consistent codes = genuine error (most likely).

What's in the freeze frame data?

How easy is it to make them happen? What are you doing when they do and does it agree with the freeze frames?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
They look like codes all on the same bank (2) so why "Phantom"? Consistent codes = genuine error (most likely).

What's in the freeze frame data?

How easy is it to make them happen? What are you doing when they do and does it agree with the freeze frames?
Yes they are on the Bank 2,but...what? 8 DTC problems codes at a sudden???

As you saw I did everything to try fixing it,and...nothing! Freeze frames are now occurring by the time I start the car and after 10-15 sec... No clue what happened?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

I think you're mixing up codes (DTCs) with freeze frames (FFs). FFs are stored along with each code and describe appropriate values (mainly sensors) to assist in debug. Anyway - you just sound to have a fault, misfires apparently.

Did you change the plugs before or after the faults?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:28 AM

I think you're mixing up codes (DTCs) with freeze frames (FFs). FFs are stored along with each code and describe appropriate values (mainly sensors) to assist in debug. Anyway - you just sound to have a fault, misfires apparently.

Did you change the plugs before or after the faults?
No no I am not. I now what freeze frames are. I will post pic in 30min. Only now there is another error P0191... Fuel Rail Pressure sensor...

Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

You didn't answer about the plugs

Old 01-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

I would suspect coils?? I did not see that any were changed??

Also do some reading and searching on this site. The V-6 has some unique problems. Mainly vacuum elbow leaks and IMT o-rings. Some good repair instructions with pictures. Not expensive if you can DIY the repairs.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 AM

You didn't answer about the plugs
I have changed plugs before 14000km and now after problem occured...

I will post pics from my readings and you will then be able to see clearer...Thank you gus for helping...

Old 01-29-2011, 12:23 PM

I have posted pics on www.flickr.com and search Stefan Zivadinovic...Description available...

Old 01-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Old 01-29-2011, 03:10 PM

Where can I upload pics for you to see...

Old 01-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I recently got the very same group of codes, an entire bank of cylinders with multiple misfires and a check engine light illuminated. It has since cleared itself, yet my measured air from the MAFS was very low at the time of the multiple misfires. Could be MAFs issues, or could be incorrect return data from 02 sensors. I'm trying to monitor my short term fuel trim also, but TBH, I don't know what to look for. The values for one bank are several % lower than the other bank. Shouldn't they be relatively equal in range?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
I recently got the very same group of codes, an entire bank of cylinders with multiple misfires and a check engine light illuminated. It has since cleared itself, yet my measured air from the MAFS was very low at the time of the multiple misfires. Could be MAFs issues, or could be incorrect return data from 02 sensors. I'm trying to monitor my short term fuel trim also, but TBH, I don't know what to look for. The values for one bank are several % lower than the other bank. Shouldn't they be relatively equal in range?
It is not MAF,I changed it with new one. Nothing,same... These parameters as shown are showing catalyst is fried and need to be replaced,but I need confirmation from someone who knows if that is the right problem. And what about -23% Bank 2 Short Term?

Someone...

Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 AM

I am putting my car on truck tomorrow and going to BMW service. Because here in Serbia there is no Jaguar service,but we have Ferrari instead And now my question is can they remove catalyst converter and turn car to work,without O2 sensors?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by stefan063
It is not MAF,I changed it with new one. Nothing,same... These parameters as shown are showing catalyst is fried and need to be replaced,but I need confirmation from someone who knows if that is the right problem. And what about -23% Bank 2 Short Term?

Someone...
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.... Yea, I had some of the same symptoms.. The car tripped misfire codes on just one bank... It ended up being the catalytic converter for that side... And to answer your question about "bypassing".. Probably not a good idea.. Not like the old days..Too many things in the computer depend on correct readings..In the long run it would probably be cheaper to just replace the faulty cat...

Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.... Yea, I had some of the same symptoms.. The car tripped misfire codes on just one bank... It ended up being the catalytic converter for that side... And to answer your question about "bypassing".. Probably not a good idea.. Not like the old days..Too many things in the computer depend on correct readings..In the long run it would probably be cheaper to just replace the faulty cat...
How about just cleaning catalyst's?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by stefan063
How about just cleaning catalyst's?
With soap and water? I am a clean freak about our vehicles but that is going abit to far.

Seriously how do you clean a catalyst, I do not believe that it can be done.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Red face

Originally Posted by joycesjag
With soap and water? I am a clean freak about our vehicles but that is going abit to far.

Seriously how do you clean a catalyst, I do not believe that it can be done.
Hehe... Soap and water and a little of hamer and spike to get ceramic compound out! That is what I was thinking about,by the way

Old 01-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

From the pictures:
the first 2 look very alike
then 1 live view
then 1 of the errors
and 1 of freeze frame for just one of the errors
and no more OBD

Not much to go on. You have P1000 which is odd. You cleared the codes and/or disconnected the battery?

When the error flagged bank 2 was OL. Not good. It's the bank with errors.

You may have similar long term fuel trims maybe because this is with P1000 and relearning has not finished. You have very different short term trims which again points to a genuine error.

All the data look consistent and that you do NOT have any kind of "Phantom".

You could easily have a fuel problem. A single issue with fuelling can cause lots of misfires all on the same bank (just think, it should be obvious).

Your live data is at 0 kph and 817 rpm with a quite cool engine, but the code flagged at 88kph and 2081rpm with warm/hot engine. You can't expect to learn as much from the live data if you don't look at a similar time as when the fault flagged.

With all the faults on one bank and some fuelling issues and P0191:
1. probably a single fault and it has to be something that doesn't affect banks equally
2. likely it's fuel-related, whether pump, lines (pipes, hoses), or whatever

Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM

From the pictures:
the first 2 look very alike
then 1 live view
then 1 of the errors
and 1 of freeze frame for just one of the errors
and no more OBD

Not much to go on. You have P1000 which is odd. You cleared the codes and/or disconnected the battery?

When the error flagged bank 2 was OL. Not good. It's the bank with errors.

You may have similar long term fuel trims maybe because this is with P1000 and relearning has not finished. You have very different short term trims which again points to a genuine error.

All the data look consistent and that you do NOT have any kind of "Phantom".

You could easily have a fuel problem. A single issue with fuelling can cause lots of misfires all on the same bank (just think, it should be obvious).

Your live data is at 0 kph and 817 rpm with a quite cool engine, but the code flagged at 88kph and 2081rpm with warm/hot engine. You can't expect to learn as much from the live data if you don't look at a similar time as when the fault flagged.

With all the faults on one bank and some fuelling issues and P0191:
1. probably a single fault and it has to be something that doesn't affect banks equally
2. likely it's fuel-related, whether pump, lines (pipes, hoses), or whatever
Hi,

P1000 is always absent,by the time I got it from Jaguar Dealership.

I have cleared error,not disconnected battery. And as you may have read I also have LPG on-board,and the same problem is with LPG.

Have you seen O2 sensor reading? How different they are! Can I try to get cat's of and see than whether the problem is absent,is so what should I look for? Because I have done everything as you may see from 1st post. It is smelling a little like broken egg at the rear,nothing alarming but the smell is there... Also my engine is sounding like tractor and there is no more power,it can go over 2000-2500rpm whether "Restricted Performance Mode" is/not activated. As you may saw also in first post there is also P1... error which is related to "Flight Data is Stored"...

Have a clue? My car is by now at BMW dealership near my city (50km away),and tomorrow I am going there. Tell me what should I tell them If removed cat's doesn't solve problem.

Quick Reply: Phantom Malfunction!?!? 8 DTC codes suddenly !!!