Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up my car Sat. It needs a battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010 | 09:40 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default Picking up my car Sat. It needs a battery

So I'm picking up my car Saturday, hooray!
The Jag PPI suggested the battery be replaced because it tests at only 75% cranking power and given how modern cars can start to do strange things when batteries get old I was thinking of just changing as soon as I pick the car up. I do have a long 14 hour drive home.

Pep Boys has the Bosch battery for $100. Are there any issues with them?
Autozone has the equivalent battery for $134. I've had OK results with theirs.

But then I've read about the parking brake, auto windows reset and losing use of the radio until a security code is re-entered? Really? That sounds like a dealer only issue? The dealer print out I have doesn't reveal that code. That would be a complete bummer on a 14 hour road trip.

Do they ever reveal the code once you're registered as the official owner with Jaguar?

Is there anything else I need to watch out for if I change this on the road? I've read it's going to force re-learning in a number of the systems or something? That might eventually be good a good idea.

Or maybe I should just wait till I get home?

Thanks.

Bob S.

Old 07-23-2010 | 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

I just bought my STR and the radio code was in with the owners manual. I dont really see why the previous owner would of gotten rid of it. I bought a 98 Audi A8 in 08 that still have the code in the owners manual. I would check what is in with the owners manual in the glovebox and you should get lucky.

Old 07-23-2010 | 10:56 AM
Veteran member

So, your picking it up at a dealer, right? Check the internet for a PepBoys or Autozone near the dealer..Get the battery there and swap it out at the dealer. I assume the dealer your picking it up at has some basic service availability on Saturday.. If not, I'm sure they would make sure that you didn't loose programming before you left since they want the sale... Heck, if it was me I'd tell them to go pick up the battery for me at the store and install it today.. That way it was ready to go when you get there.. I'm sure they will be willing to help you out. You'd be surprised at how much they will do for you if you ask nice..

Old 07-23-2010 | 12:58 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
I just bought my STR and the radio code was in with the owners manual. I dont really see why the previous owner would of gotten rid of it. I bought a 98 Audi A8 in 08 that still have the code in the owners manual. I would check what is in with the owners manual in the glovebox and you should get lucky.
Thanks I'll check.

Old 07-23-2010 | 01:04 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
So, your picking it up at a dealer, right? Check the internet for a PepBoys or Autozone near the dealer..Get the battery there and swap it out at the dealer. I assume the dealer your picking it up at has some basic service availability on Saturday.. If not, I'm sure they would make sure that you didn't loose programming before you left since they want the sale... Heck, if it was me I'd tell them to go pick up the battery for me at the store and install it today.. That way it was ready to go when you get there.. I'm sure they will be willing to help you out. You'd be surprised at how much they will do for you if you ask nice..
It's not a Jag dealer. A lot has already been done including some paint and interior work. But yes I could do that. The Pep Boys is 4 miles from there so I was just going to stop by on my way out. If the code is in the owners manual then maybe I'll try it. I might want to look into the battery situation myself. It might be just fine.

I suppose you could connect the new one up in parallel and make the swap that way too but I won't have any jumper cables with me.

Old 07-23-2010 | 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Bob S. I recall swamping out our battery this past winter took less than 1 minute, you do have a few minutes to do the actual swap with no problems. I think you read this post but https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=32699&page=3 read #21

Old 07-23-2010 | 03:29 PM
|
Veteran Member

Thanks Rick. NO I missed that one. But I found another good one. Mostly they argued about whether optima batteries are really, really good or total complete crap and a waste of money ... ;>)

The Bosch has the same or better specs & warranty as the Autozone one but it's $34 less. So maybe it's made in China?

So what you're saying is that the radio thing doesn't happen right away and if you make the change quickly enough I should be OK.

I have other older cars where it's a good idea to let them sit disconnected for a while so that everything learns fresh. I expect that my driving style will eventually replace the learned info anyway. Though maybe not on a 14 hour lots of cruise control journey.

Bob S.

Old 07-23-2010 | 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Bob S., I have dropped Joyces Jag back off Eddies tonight, just to double check tranny fluid first thing tomorrow. I can't for the life of me remember what size socket/ wrench you will need to remove the battery hold down. I will report back to this thread about 9:00 am. so you can take the necessary tool with you.

As far as your questions, my thread that you have just read describes my thoughts of the Zone battery (Duralast) I am quite sure that its a China or Israeli <-believe it or not manufactured.

The radio thingy should not be a problem, and besides you are driving the vehicle cross country correct?

As far as the relearning, it may take awhile to "learn" your driving style. Joyces driving style is lets say grannie(ish) less than 4 miles a day. I do not drive the Jag that much and after a year and half later, it seems to drive like the day I drove it 900 miles home from Fl.

Old 07-23-2010 | 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Bob S. I recall swamping out our battery this past winter took less than 1 minute, you do have a few minutes to do the actual swap with no problems. I think you read this post but https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=32699&page=3 read #21
wow rick is that you in your avatar

you look like your about to bite someone, hope you dont scare your Mrs. like that

Old 07-23-2010 | 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

yippers king, thats me!!! I was very hung over, first thing in the morning and Brooke the 5 year old was doing her photography thing Oh BTW gentlemen, I am wearing the infamous Jag workwear...... my robe!

Those chompers are real, my siblings and I are blessed with a huge smile, which we wear as long as our eyes are open!!!! That is 1 of the reasons the Mrs. fell in love with me almost 20 years ago!

Last edited by joycesjag; 07-23-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: more BTW
Old 07-24-2010 | 01:57 AM

I got my radio code from the dealer, but it didn't need it when I changed the battery.

If it is running ok when you pick it up, why not get the new battery for safetys sake if you are concerned and switch it out when you get home if the old one doesn't play up.

Old 07-24-2010 | 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Bob S., hope this isn't to late but an 8mm wrench will do the job, 2 hold bolts and the connectors.

Old 07-26-2010 | 07:12 AM
|
Veteran Member

Well I decided to just drive it home and everything was fine. They had already disconnected the battery at some point either in the PPI or at the stereo removal shop where they unistalled the radar detector and bluetooth because the power windows had to be reset. It seems to be working just fine so I may have another look at that battery and the PPI report.

A few other things to do like a cabin and air filter plus a non functioning CD changer but eveything else was flawless. I rode the rocket ship home on Sat and Sun and saw only 2 or 3 cops. The detector went off once and saved my **** but I was only going 75 in a 65. This thing gets to 90+ before you know it. Lots of bad weather and dead stop traffic on Sunday so it was a long day.

Bob S.

Old 07-26-2010 | 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome back Bob S.. I am glad to read that the vehicle made the journey without any problems. Enjoy your new ride!!! Don't forget to post up some pics either in this section or main gallery or better yet both!

Old 07-26-2010 | 09:31 AM
|
Veteran Member

Oh it was so nice and clean too ... But overnight the birds from Mel Brooks' "High Anxiety" film dropped by and splattered the thing. There must have been 25 doves in that tree!

Here's the Ebay listing from last week though. It's green and tan and very stock. Nothing unusual. These aren't very good photos though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item2eae9f9e86

Old 07-26-2010 | 02:38 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Audio Connectivity Module turns off CD changer.

Originally Posted by Staatsof
A few other things to do like a cabin and air filter plus a non functioning CD changer but eveything else was flawless.
Bob S.
CD fixed! It turned out to be that Audio Connectivity Module which was switch into the IPOD mode. It's not labeled of course! Just an open circle or a filled circle. Then you have to re-start the car and away we go!

Bob S.

Old 07-26-2010 | 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Just a tip if your car has the ACM. There is a reset button but it is very small and takes a pin to push it. 2 or 3 times my car did not recognize the ACM at all. A quick rest and everything works. It's a bit tough to see but the USB plug has the small access hole for the reset button.

Old 07-26-2010 | 06:42 PM
|
Veteran Member

Yeah I saw that in the documentation. But what I don't see is the USB cable. I haven't taken the console apart as yet so maybe it's burried in there because who ever had this installed wasn't going to use the USB or was there another version without USB capability? I also don't seem to have that lamp that's supposed to be on the top.

It apparently won't process CD format files on the USB device but it suppoerts a number of formats. I'm still trying to find out if one of those formats is the equivalent quality of a CD. MP3 is a no go for me.

Bob S.

Old 07-27-2010 | 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

I have a big stereo in my trunk and went with the Biggest optima yellow top I could find. Never had any sort of issue with it. I actually swapped out a perfectly fine OEM Jag battery for it. Still have it sitting here if you need one. (I'm in NJ too).