Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic cover under the car is falling off and

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic cover under the car is falling off and

I have 03 s-type 3.0L 90,000 miles.

I just found out the plastic cover under the front side is almost falling off and about to be dragging. Not only this, but also the plastic cover in the mid is falling off. It seems whole plastic cover being interconnected under the car is damaged by something and all starting to falling off.
I really need to replace or fix it before crazy snow is coming again here in MN.

So it would be very thankful if I could know the name of plastic thing and the cheapest and best way to fix it.

Since Jaguar dealership is kinda far away from my place, I would rather go to firestone first, but still need your kind advice about this issue.

Thank you and have a beautiful day

Old 07-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

If you could include a picture or two that would be very helpful.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Hi, Abonano,

After little searching I found out the name and pic of the plastic cover I need to replace.

[Skid Plate]
Plastic cover under the car is falling off and-iqlwc.jpg
Plastic cover under the car is falling off and-1t9rw.jpg

I will take the pic of how the skid plate of my car is falling off tomorrow and post here.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

It probably doesn't need to be replaced, just reattached. Any half competent garage should be able to do that, or you can do it yourself.

The following users liked this post:
kblood (07-13-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 PM

I hope it can be just reattached, but seems some of parts are broken. Anyway thx for your reply, and I will first try to visit some local garage to reattach it.

Last edited by kblood; 07-12-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

On my car, which is a little different in detail, the larger one is fixed with a mix of screws, bolts & nuts (far too many and far too many types). My guess would be some lazy SOB did an oil change and failed to refit it. I guess any garage should have enough parts to fix it adequately (I'd DIY as it's simple!).

kblood (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 02:53 AM
JbB
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Never had to mess with mine, but I have experience with plastic body covers like this.

Looking at the image Kblood mentioned, I can picture problem areas you might be experiencing.

It sounds like yes, your screws have fallen out (or were left unscrewed) or your plastic screw holes has ripped over the screw. Bad news, depending on the sagging plastic, the plastic itself may have been damaged... such as being shredded by the road. Happens to cars a lot for their wheel well covers (hanging down and then getting grinded away by the tires).

You might be able to fix this yourself if you simply take out one of the screws that hasn't fallen out and take it up to an autoparts store and ask'em for replacement screws. For any parts of the plastic that're damaged, you can work around widened screw holes of the plastic by buying different sized washers for the screws. If there's an entire section missing, such as a corner... you COULD fix it by drilling a new screw hole closer inwards into your body and the plastic, however... I don't recommend anyone do that unless you really know what your doing (it would be better to just buy a replacement plastic cover at that point).

Should you take your car to a mechanic or try to do the repair yourself? My advice, look at the car, try to understand how you'd fix it yourself given my method, then take it to a mechanic to get a quote and have him / her explain how they'd fix it (to make sure they're not gonna' just order a new plastic cover and charge you parts and labor if it could just be $4 in screws and minor labor).

To anyone who might be like "Why bother? I done took mine off months ago, I tell you what...", clearly it looks design to keep gravel, dirt and water from expensive parts of the car, and to catch any errant oil drips. Those are benefits to your car, not just something to remove because it's sagging. JbB

kblood (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

If replacement is needed try www.motorcarsltd.com they may have used ones. Also check to make sure all your hangers are still on the vehicle!

kblood (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 03:06 PM

Thx for all ur replies!
By the way, today, I have taken my car to some mechanics, 2 individual auto shop and Firestone. Unfortunately, since 2 small auto shops were busy and full of cars, I could not have a chance to get advice and quote from them, but from Firestone, I got their suggestion that is "Shield worn out. Bolts missing to hold shield up. Suggest Dealer for new shield and hanger assemblies." I tried to look how it was broken but they didn't allow me to be near my car, so that I just had to wait in the lobby . I think I am going to bring my digital camera to take detailed pic of how it is damaged and broken. Buying all shield is something I really can not afford as of now and hope it can be just reattached

Last edited by kblood; 07-13-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I expect a dealer would sell you the actual screws, bolts etc - quite expensive compared to a hardware store or a spares box if you had one, but for not much $$$ you'd have the correct parts.

Over here the dealers have a separate parts dept (usually round the back), and in my experience are good and happy to deal with the public.

If you get the right parts you can either DIY or find anyone even slightly handy with tools.

My engine shield (the large item) includes 2 "captive" bolts (on rusty bits of metal attached to the car underside - you may have to bend them to where they should be). They fit through holes towards but not at the rear of the shield and then you screw on nuts. The other fixings are screws & bolts.

Can't be expensive just to buy the screws etc, despite dealer prices for such.

kblood (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by kblood
Thx for all ur replies!
By the way, today, I have taken my car to some mechanics, 2 individual auto shop and Firestone. Unfortunately, since 2 small auto shops were busy and full of cars, I could not have a chance to get advice and quote from them, but from Firestone, I got their suggestion that is "Shield worn out. Bolts missing to hold shield up. Suggest Dealer for new shield and hanger assemblies." I tried to look how it was broken but they didn't allow me to be near my car, so that I just had to wait in the lobby . I think I am going to bring my digital camera to take detailed pic of how it is damaged and broken. Buying all shield is something I really can not afford as of now and hope it can be just reattached
Firestone Sucks! Try to find an indy that can complete or DIY

kblood (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by abonano
Firestone Sucks! Try to find an indy that can complete or DIY
Totally agree there. Had to take a car in for inspection and all they did was bitch about the mechanics not getting paid enough and the jerk never tightened a caliper up on the car and a bolt popped holding it and I thought the tire was going to fall off. Never again.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 PM

I am not sure if I am correct, but does shield consist of two parts like the pics I have posted earlier? If I could find used one in very cheap price, I would definitely buy it for better result.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I am not sure if I am correct, but does shield consist of two parts like the pics I have posted earlier? If I could find used one in very cheap price, I would definitely buy it for better result.
Yes the first pic you posted (smaller splash shield) is screwed more or less to the front bumper skin.

The second (larger shield) is bolted to hangers on the frame.

I still would contact www.motorcarsltd.com for used pieces, although shipping the larger may be pricey. Maybe check ebay too.

kblood (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 AM

Skid Plate Skidplate Plastic 2R83-8A095-AC 03 Jaguar S Type 3.0L V6 | eBay <-- what about this skidplate? it looks somewhat different tho.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:00 AM

Skid Plate Skidplate Plastic 2R83-8A095-AC 03 Jaguar S Type 3.0L V6 | eBay <-- what about this skidplate? it looks somewhat different tho.
No, doesn't look correct... the pictures you posted earlier are of the parts needed but take a peek under the car to confirm. Good Luck.

kblood (07-14-2012)