S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

play on front ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default play on front ball joint

On my 2000 S I took note to a recall for the suspension front control arm lower ball joint.
The recall states they were not tightened to spec when attached to lower control arms, with the remedy for the dealer to inspect and tighten if necessary or replace the ball joint.

Before starting my mission to replace the coils and plugs, I took the car to a local garage who works mostly on cars of this type and European stuff. Well spoken of in my area. Understood my issues and I told him whatever I could attempt myself, I wanted to do and the rest, he would fix. He told me the right front Ball Joint has Play and the Vertical link would have to be replaced. Not cheap. Gave me a part number of XR8-052807 for the vertical link on the estimate. After the coils and plugs, I am taking it back to him to have this done.

My question is would this be associated or caused by the things mentioned in the recall notice and should I take to dealer for fix? Don't want to create issue with him, but if its covered by the recall or associated to it, I would love to save the expense. Is it?

Appreciate any help and guidance.

Last edited by Amadauss; 03-09-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: clean up
Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Call your dealer. Give them the VIN# and they will check for the recall.
I would be surprised if after all these years it is not done already.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 AM

Will do. Dealer is fairly good and have not had any issues with them in the past (except they might charge to much ). In your opinion, If dealer did fix it in the past, could it become an issue again where it would fall into the recall issue? If the proper torque was applied if repaired, I would think it just becomes an over time wear issue. And if they did not fix it for whatever reason, are the two things related?

My thing is the way the mechanic explains it on his estimate of "found right front ball joint has play and need to replace vertical link". If Dealer did fix it should it now have play? Thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Amadauss
Will do. Dealer is fairly good and have not had any issues with them in the past (except they might charge to much ). In your opinion, If dealer did fix it in the past, could it become an issue again where it would fall into the recall issue? If the proper torque was applied if repaired, I would think it just becomes an over time wear issue. And if they did not fix it for whatever reason, are the two things related?

My thing is the way the mechanic explains it on his estimate of "found right front ball joint has play and need to replace vertical link". If Dealer did fix it should it now have play? Thanks
Keep in mind that this is a 10 or 11 year old car depending on build date.
If dealer did the fix 8-10 years ago should they still be on the hook?
I doubt it.
All you can do is call, inquire and go from there.Even without the recall all cars develope wear issues after so many years.
Sometime we have to pay the piper or trade for a new vehicle with warranty,even then you pay the piper with value drop as soon as you leave the dealership.
Lets hope the recall was never done and all will be good.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Front ball joints are avail seperatly but not from jag u wyre call ken at motorcars. Jag only sells the uprights/vertivcle links with joints already pressed in. But do not confuse lower balljoint loose fell with lower front strut bushing being bad, they feel the same. You have to put your hand on the lower strut mount and push up on the tire to feel the play in the lowe rbushing. Even if the operation was done. As stated your car is 10 yrs old and it would be more likely its wornout. A recall is not a lifetime warranty on that problem

Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 AM

ok, thanks all for responses. Will check with dealer first and then go with sggestion to call Ken if needed. Thanks again.