S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help! Knocking sound on cold start up on jaguar STR

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017 | 04:23 AM
|
Default please help! Knocking sound on cold start up on jaguar STR

Please help, i am pulling out my hair trying to find the source of this problem.
A little history first.
I have a 2005 STR. 91k miles.
3 months ago had alternator replaced, with new belt and battery.
3 weeks later I noticed a knocking only on start up on cold or damp days.
It lasts between 5 and 20 or so seconds.
I took it back to the garage and they noticed the belt had started to shred, so that was replaced. I took it away and 2 days later the noise was back, (coincidence, i dont know). before I had chance to call the garage, the belt came off and i had it towed to the garage. further inspection found old belt in the pulley, that was removed and new belt fitted. 3 days later noise is back. Back at the garage they replaced the tensioners. 4 days of testing at the garage, no noise. I took it home the noise was back next day. Back to the garage. at the garage they replaced tensioners again. 3 days of testing the noise was back. They have now done an oil and filter change, the noise is not as loud and doesnt last as long, but then again the weather is not as bad as it was. We are really struggling to find the cause. I seem to be replacing things that arent needed. Any advice would be appreciated. I have uploaded a video of the sound on a cold day. The next step the garage is doing is an oil pressure check. I suggested maybe cam chain replacement and tensioners but the garage is not convinced.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the video clip

Old 02-04-2017 | 05:17 AM

that is the sound of 1 of the belts jumping. Open the hood and you will see it. The tensioner on the idle pulley moves and the belt jumps. On my car it was the alternator/ power steering belt idler pulley and tensioner but you say they were replaced. Remove the supercharger belt and if the noise is gone you have narrowed it down. If the supercharger spins freely then it is the tensioner (nothing else left)

if the accessory belt is jumping then remove that belt and check that the alternator, power steering pump, and the a/c compressor all spin without any roughness or binding

Last edited by rocklandjag; 02-04-2017 at 05:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-12-2017)
Old 02-04-2017 | 02:51 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Had the same issue a few years ago. Open the link and you will see 2 videos showing what I found to be the cause.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following 2 users liked this post by Gus:
Datsports (02-05-2017), Don B (03-12-2017)
Old 02-24-2017 | 01:17 PM
|

SOLVED!!!! IT WAS THE NON GENUINE JAGUAR TENSIONER AND NON JAGUAR ALTERNATOR BELT,
~The garage that fitted the replacement alternator when it needed replacing, put an after market non genuine alternator belt and tensioner on. These parts have now been replaced by genuine jaguar parts and now the problem is solved.

Many Thanks to Sejags for diagnosing the problem. Top bloke who really knows his stuff, would recommend anyday!

Facebook Post