S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs and coils and ????? OH MY!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs and coils and ????? OH MY!!!!!

So I got the error code P0301 and was relieved to find that is just a misfire on #1. Since I have only ever worked on old (basic) trucks, I figured I better look into what is involved in changing the plugs in my '02 S-type 4.0 (56k). Turns out, there is quite A LOT. Not only do I need to do plugs, but It is recommended (and likely) that I need to just go ahead and replace the coils on this model. Ok. So I go parts shopping and find plug seals, boots, connectors.....And then I read more on the forum and find that there might also be a cam chain issue that I will want to check out while I have the valve cover off. So, Am I over complicating this for myself? What should be on my shopping list (if anything) other than new plugs and coils. Also, I will be doing strictly OEM/OER parts, but are there any I should avoid? Any good prices on coil sets? Please excuse the ignorance, I have only played with old school GM motors until now. Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

It's the tensioners you need mainly to worry about and tdc did a writeup that's in the FAQs.

The following users liked this post:
Rebekah350 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Ditto. You can procure affordable coils from RockAuto.com I believe the Lincoln LS coils are the same and superior in design. Check this out.

Rebekah350 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 AM

Well, I had already looked at the FAQ and saw a nice post on changing the plugs. It was helpful in some ways, but the car featured is newer than mine and has coils on the plugs which appears to eliminate the boot. This does not answer my question about the boots or plug seals. I also looked at every one of TDC's posts to make sure I had not missed anything. He has a fantastic post on the tensioners, which I will check, but won't be tackling on my own. Basically, I still don't know if I need to buy connectors, boots and seals.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

All S-Types, V6 or V8, use the same STYLE of on-plug ignition coil. Directions for changing one year is the same for all. They all come with the plug boot on the coil. The seals you may be thinking of are only replaced by removing the cam cover and resealing it. Unless the plug wells are filling with oil, fagedaboutit.

Cheers,

Rebekah350 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 11:31 AM

Why do the parts stores make it look SOOO complicated??? One online store was suggesting that I buy ?connector wires?, but I did not see them at other stores. My husband says I am "not ALLOWED to do the work" and insists that I take it to the dealer. He should REALLY know better than to talk to me that way. I was raised with oil, tool boxes, two older brothers and a father who raced stock cars on the weekends. Just because I haven't done it before does not mean I can't learn it. Also, "forbidding" me to work on my own car is just not smart. But he DOES like it when I take care of the truck and his Harley...go figure.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rebekah350
Why do the parts stores make it look SOOO complicated??? One online store was suggesting that I buy ?connector wires?, but I did not see them at other stores. My husband says I am "not ALLOWED to do the work" and insists that I take it to the dealer. He should REALLY know better than to talk to me that way. I was raised with oil, tool boxes, two older brothers and a father who raced stock cars on the weekends. Just because I haven't done it before does not mean I can't learn it. Also, "forbidding" me to work on my own car is just not smart. But he DOES like it when I take care of the truck and his Harley...go figure.
Probably because they, too, are not completely familiar with the various parts, differences and applications of the very parts they are trying to sell.

My two cents.......

Rebekah350 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Rebekah, maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong. As for the connector wires you mentioned, I believe that the early models have a 4 (wire pin) connector to each coil, then starting with the MY (Model Year) 2003 switched to a 2 wire connector.

To do any work on these vehicles is pretty simple if you have JTIS or alldatadiy.com and the right tools (which trust me aren't that many). A good cheap scanner would help as well.

Rebekah350 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

I think it's the opposite. They were 2-pin and became 4-pin. (On the V8, at least.)

Rebekah350 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I think it's the opposite. They were 2-pin and became 4-pin. (On the V8, at least.)

+1

Rebekah350 (03-15-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Well, so far all sites offer me a two blade coil for my model. I have been shopping around trying to find a nice balance of OEM/warranty and price. I just now found a complete set of 8 "Visteon" for $180, but the warranty info is not listed, so I need to research them. Another site (Am-autoparts) has a set of 8 for just under $72, but again, I need to research the parts warranty and reputation of this company. If these don't pan out, I will most likely go with RockAuto as suggested earlier. I did buy a basic $25 code scanner. Now I just need to buy/download the shop manual. Thanks again for your help and suggestions!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

If yours is an 02 4.0 then 2-blade sounds right - and they're cheaper than the ones I'd need!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
If yours is an 02 4.0 then 2-blade sounds right - and they're cheaper than the ones I'd need!
Yup. My husband is pulling a Rumpelstiltskin since the first prices i quoted him were in the $300-450 range. That's why I'm a little wary of the super low prices I found and want to do lots of research before I hand out cash. Sometimes you luck into a great deal, but mostly, you get what you pay for.

My tip for you all in shopping (for anything) is to visit a site like froogle.com to find a good price and then double verify the customer ratings and product quality.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, so far all sites offer me a two blade coil for my model. I have been shopping around trying to find a nice balance of OEM/warranty and price. I just now found a complete set of 8 "Visteon" for $180, but the warranty info is not listed, so I need to research them. Another site (Am-autoparts) has a set of 8 for just under $72, but again, I need to research the parts warranty and reputation of this company. If these don't pan out, I will most likely go with RockAuto as suggested earlier. I did buy a basic $25 code scanner. Now I just need to buy/download the shop manual. Thanks again for your help and suggestions!
I have bought set of coils for my jag from am-autoparts so far I'm happy with them

Rebekah350 (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need alldatadiy acess I can provide you with info. This goes to all forum members. 2001 Jaguar S-type 4.0

Rebekah350 (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  19.3 KB

Lol...GO Rebekah
I'm tuned in to see how this goes.........

Rebekah350 (03-15-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 AM

So am autoparts had the best price, but I was wary of the lack of product information and company contact info. (I placed my order with another company before seeing jagstype01's post.) The next lowest price was $170ish on Amazon, but digging into the company reviews revealed a person who ordered a set and only one was any count. I do not have a lot of time or extra cash at the moment to gamble with. I finally went with Rock Auto as suggested and grabbed the 8 coils and 8 Bosch platinum plus plugs for $274 delivered. There is currently a $24 spark plug rebate, so I am at $250 as long as no other problems are discovered.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Way to go Rebekah! Man, I wish my wife would work on her van sometimes... Heck, I wish my wife would at least clean her van sometimes...

Oh, well, my job......

Anyway.. Rockauto... Great place to do business with. Also, if you notice that through the site you ordered something wrong, not only will they take care of you the customer, but also fix the site..

I ended up with an extra transmission pan gasket because their listing for a "kit" was listed as just the filter.. E-mailed them and they fixed the site and refunded me the money spent on the gasket.. Good folks and highly recommend them.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Rock Auto - Great website and great deals! They aim to please.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Way to go Rebekah! Man, I wish my wife would work on her van sometimes... Heck, I wish my wife would at least clean her van sometimes...
LOL
I grew up around motors, but if it doesn't have a carb, I start feeling a little lost. My brothers made sure I learned how to do (at least) a basic tune up and change my own fluids. They encourage me to do all that I set my mind to. My darling husband's family went to the garage for everything, so he has no real background. Back in the day, if we had a spat, I'd grab my tools and climb into my truck motor or start checking out his bike. Focusing on a motor has a calming effect on me. This went on for years until one night I overheard him bragging to a buddy. He said "Yeah!! All I gotta do is **** her off real good and she'll tune up the bike or give it a good scrubbing!"..... Anyone else hear that death knell? I haven't touched his bike in almost 10 years now and when he asks, I just laugh at him.

Last edited by Rebekah350; 03-15-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Plugs and coils and ????? OH MY!!!!!