S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Jaguar Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I think the higher production numbers and hence a bigger budget to work out stuff like the under supercharger hose fault is a good point.

I have these sort of discussions all the time with people who buy a very expensive Italian exotic and expect it to be better in every way than a lowly production vehicle. Low volume manufacturers typically can't spend the same resources on window mechanisms, ventilation systems etc.

Oh and BTW, Lexus is not immune. I have a friend who just dumped his top of the line Lexus for a new Mercedes because of a potential internal engine issue which they'd fix for him but he really doesn't want the car again after a dealer has had the engine out then back in. He's worried about even more issues after that. These are very complex beasts now.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Honestly it's all relevant to what you experience. They all have pro's n con's. I'm sure that some stat will show in favor for one or the other, but to what bias? Most questions are put to solicit a response desirable to whom who asked. You would really have to gather a ton of input from the source, each individual of actual records. Not opinions. Think U.S. Census, not Hardees comment cards. IMO, impossible. Then compare that with each maintainer to the same end. Again, IMO impossible.

Unless you can do that, the result will be opinion based, or skewed to someone’s intent. Granted I’m sure that some company’s do have real intent of getting an accurate assessment to the public, but read my first paragraph and you’ll understand why even these cannot be used as fact.

IMHO

Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody makes a perfect car - not even the Japanese. Cars are designed and built by imperfect humans, and then driven and maintained by imperfect humans.

I've owned several new Japanese cars that needed their share of repairs. My current 06 Solara needed a wheel bearing at 33k miles...my 01 TL needed AC repairs at 50k and then had a major trans recall at 70k...my 92 240SX needed major trans work at 55k. My new American cars were a mixed bag. My 89 LX 5.0 and my 01 Cobra didn't have problems. These surprised me considering the abuse I put them through at the track and on the street. My 95 Riviera was a different story. I won't even go into the amount of problems I had with that car. My 98 Z28 gave up its trans at 45k. The S Type is my first European experience, and so far has been uneventful. I won't be surprised if something pops up...it always does...

Cars require repairs regardless of who makes them. Many Japanese and European cars have American parts and many American cars have Japanese and European parts. For example, my 06 Solara was made in Kentucky and has a higher domestic content than a new Camaro. Sad but true. It's such an international mixed bag lately that you need a scorecard just to keep track...Sadly, I just found out that the new 2012 Mustang GT has a Chinese made tranny...why they dropped the bulletproof Tremec is beyond me...

To sum it up - take it easy on your cars...maintain them...and hope for the best...they all break sooner or later...