S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it posible to reflash the computer for performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is it posible to reflash the computer for performance upgrades?

I'm wondering if anyone has re-flashed or knows of someone that can re-flash the ECU so I can add performance up grades to my S-Type V8 non "R" in the future.

I would like to add a Turbo or Vortech supper charger etc. etc.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Nope, no one has been able to crack it yet. Kinda sucks

Old 09-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Nope, no one has been able to crack it yet. Kinda sucks
I'm not to sure how it works but would some sort of stand alone system work like the ones from AIM?

I have seen S-type race cars. What kind of performance up grades do they have?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Candy's Kitty
I'm not to sure how it works but would some sort of stand alone system work like the ones from AIM?

Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

The kind of aftermarket options you're thinking of, simply don't exist off-the-shelf for the S-Type / STR.

You would need to seek out a professional and competent tuner shop / fabricator in your area for a more specialized approach to your direct car/build.

Here is an example of one shop doing some very nice work in this regard, that recently posted this thread in this very section.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...%2A-%2A-80590/

They have not found a 'tuning' solution yet either, and are likely going standalone.

On top of that, paying someone else to do the pioneering and custom one-off work, ends up making something like this into a VERY expensive project.

The most practical and cost effective upgrade that you could do is to step up to the 'R' model S-Type. At that point, you can do a few simple bolt-on modifcations to really get the most out of it.

If that still isn't enough, you may want to consider moving onto a better/newer platform for your goals.

The following users liked this post:
Candy's Kitty (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Default S-type "R" up grade

Originally Posted by GT42R
The kind of aftermarket options you're thinking of, simply don't exist off-the-shelf for the S-Type / STR.

You would need to seek out a professional and competent tuner shop / fabricator in your area for a more specialized approach to your direct car/build.

Here is an example of one shop doing some very nice work in this regard, that recently posted this thread in this very section.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...%2A-%2A-80590/

They have not found a 'tuning' solution yet either, and are likely going standalone.

On top of that, paying someone else to do the pioneering and custom one-off work, ends up making something like this into a VERY expensive project.

The most practical and cost effective upgrade that you could do is to step up to the 'R' model S-Type. At that point, you can do a few simple bolt-on modifcations to really get the most out of it.

If that still isn't enough, you may want to consider moving onto a better/newer platform for your goals.

Ok. Say I do this upgrade what needs to be done to convert it? If I'm going to do this it would probably be a good time to so some internal mods. Do you or anyone you know have any suggestions: cams, cam gears, rockers, valve springs, pistons, etc.

Also any shops in LA/ SoCal area. I'm not trying to break a nail.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Deep pockets....

Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Deep pockets....
+1, probably 3 or 4 times what the car is worth. Not sure I'd want to be the guinea pig for reliability testing either.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

If you want BIG power, an STR is not the route to go. I would go with the V8 that you already have and find a shop to turbo it for say $15-20k, probably more considering it will be all custom and hope its reliable. With the STR, putting every available mod on it still won't get you to 400whp without nitrous. Other than that, you could look into an engine swap or just get a different car.

What goals do you have in mind?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
If you want BIG power, an STR is not the route to go. I would go with the V8 that you already have and find a shop to turbo it for say $15-20k, probably more considering it will be all custom and hope its reliable. With the STR, putting every available mod on it still won't get you to 400whp without nitrous. Other than that, you could look into an engine swap or just get a different car.

What goals do you have in mind?
I was thinking about having an LS6 motor put in, but if I do that the wiring harness needs to be replaced of course and then don't I loose every feature that is in the car? AC, traction control, air bags.........I have the sport model so it's not to sophisticated. If I could do it and still have airbags, power seats and everything else on the center console, OH original gauges, I would consider it. I guess I don't need the traction control. I was hoping to eventually put in a LSD.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

The Denso ECU uses in our cars can be tuned.

The device needed is called a K-Tag or J-Tag from the company Alientech.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Candy's Kitty (09-19-2012), Panthro (10-20-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Candy's Kitty

They are purpose built race cars.. IE they don't have to meet any government's regulation for safety or emissions.

Actually, they are probably safer then the street versions... but not up to the "comfort" standards you are looking for.

Those cars you pictured are reinforced unibodies with their own electrics and power train; loosely based on the original car. And depending on the class rules, may very well not make much more power then the original car..

It's easy to gut and build... Heck I could scan a picture of the F150 we used to run in mud racing and I bet no-one would be able to tell what frame it rode on (S10 Chevy BTW).... Welding / Tubing / Cutters and no pesky motor vehicle laws and you can build anything..

Oh, if you want to make big power on the cheap in a rear drive sedan 'bout the only choices out there are a Pontiac G8 or one of the Chrysler/Dodge LX cars. Anything else is going to need VERY DEEP pockets as others have said.

Oh, on another note... LOL... I have a couple of those S Type V8 Star 1:43 diecast sitting on my shelf....

Old 09-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

the teal/green one has been tuned and is running speed density so it's probably an aftermarket ecu or tune in it. There's no mass air sensor on it.

If you're in LA, you're screwed like me. There's no way to tune them and no cost effective way to mod them. The natural answer is LSX, but without doing the work yourself, you're up the creek unless you have at least $20-30k to put into the car. Everything will need to be custom and fabricated.

You could go compound boost on a s type r model and use the existing ecu with a turbo feeding the supercharger, but you'd still have to spend at least about $10k to get there.

If you want to fast, don't buy a jag(unless you have deep, deep pockets).

Last edited by qwiketz; 09-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.