S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible 2 go from a reg headlight assembly to a xenon assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Anything is possible.... I'm sure the dealer is correct, the harness is different. HID lamps use ballasts as well. I would do my homework first. I personally am glad I have the standard headlamps. The HID housings are prone to break forcing owners to either replace the housing or applying a home remedy. Again, do some research. Only you can tell if your willing to tackle the work yourself.

The following users liked this post:
roger.grote (01-31-2016)
Old 11-07-2009, 07:45 AM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Installing factory HID assemblies is possible. There are numerous post about. I personally have installed them and find it a major improvement for night time driving. If i get a chance, I will post what is needed and wiring instructions. Keep in mind that the front bumper cover needs to removed.

As for what JOsworth said about breakage, the piece that breaks is the beam adjuster. The adjuster is on both housing types. When it breaks, the reflector moves around inside the housing. Either the entire housing needs replacement or use BRUTAL's solution.

roger.grote (01-31-2016)
Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I'm also glad that our 2005 S-Type has the standard headlights. Less cost, no moving parts to break, and the quality of light broadcast for our nighttime driving requirements is more than good enough....

roger.grote (01-31-2016)
Old 11-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe what causes the hid's to break more often is that the adjuster is also the pivot point for the self leveling causing stress on the ball every time you start the car.. The halogens do not self level. I pulled one of my hid's apart and that's what I had to make to fix it and now the other one is bad.

roger.grote (01-31-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mep
Installing factory HID assemblies is possible. There are numerous post about. I personally have installed them and find it a major improvement for night time driving. If i get a chance, I will post what is needed and wiring instructions. Keep in mind that the front bumper cover needs to removed.

As for what JOsworth said about breakage, the piece that breaks is the beam adjuster. The adjuster is on both housing types. When it breaks, the reflector moves around inside the housing. Either the entire housing needs replacement or use BRUTAL's solution.
Hi mep, i was looking at your post about xenon's being fitted to an s type with halogens as standard fitments from new, that is what i am proposing to do, rather my tech wix, did you ever post the wiring diagrams is so you post them again please or just just send them to me what ever you wish.
Regards
Roger

Old 01-30-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

There was a member here that did this. He has an awesome write up along with Hi def pictures to accompany. His name escapes me at the moment but when I remember I will post back. His member name began with a T as I recall and resides in Europe.

roger.grote (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

As for what JOsworth said about breakage, the piece that breaks is the beam adjuster. The adjuster is on both housing types. When it breaks, the reflector moves around inside the housing. Either the entire housing needs replacement or use BRUTAL's solution.[/QUOTE]

Um no need to replace the entire housing ! There are upgraded
reinforced epoxy resin adjusters with steel ***** istead of plastic on eBay ! 10 times stronger than oem ,
I bought two sets and upgraded both headlight frames buy removing the clear Lexon headlight lense with a hair dryer to soften the glue ! As is mentioned on a headlight thread here somewhere ! Works a treat but is a damn fiddley job !

Old 01-31-2016, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Welp I was finally able to get home and search on my computer. Here you go Roger:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ojector-59730/

Rowe (02-08-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Yes - be aware the law has been tightened further since then.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know if the connectors are the same between the halogen and the xenon unit?

Old 02-03-2016, 04:22 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes it is possible. Its tedious but well worth it. I have installed Bi-xenon projectors into my stock housings. I used a hid kit which has a bulb and ballast, the ballast will connect to the factory connector.

Remove the front bumper
remove headlights
Bake headlights carefully (oven on lowest setting 10-13mins)
carefully pry open headlight assembly
cut the reflector to fit the projector
decide if you want the ability to adjust them or fixed position.
mount the projector to the reflector
make sure everything is level with headlights installed (without sealing it backup)
make sure again everything is level test them on the road
if satisfied heat them and seal em
put everything back together

thats a real quick overview of the process

Ill post pics of my headlights tomorrow

night

Old 02-03-2016, 04:58 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello Rowe to answer your question,yes the connectors are very different and that is only the start of the problems,I have had a technician trying to change the halogens to jaguar factory xexon's and he is about to give up after 10 months of trying.there are so many problems that it is not possible in his opinion.First of all you have to get over the increased use of power on start up. then when they are running the ballasts are live on the outer casings and so are very dangerous,the problem with the start up is that Halogens use the positive to light and the xexon'x use the negative,then there is the with the law has the requirement of headlight power washers,also they have to be self levelling. We had got over all those problems but still there was the problem with power drain, so we had made and installed switches to cut all the wires to the headlights on turning off the ignition, but still the power would drain over two days. It turns out the the canbus system is still talking to itself and all the relays, and so the battery is flat after two days of not using the car.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Regards
Roger

Rowe (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's a shame Roger

thanks for the reply

Old 02-03-2016, 07:55 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>that's a shame Roger

Ya, and I've really got to ask: "Why bother"? I have the xenons and I don't really think they are that much brighter than halogens.

Seems like a very low payoff for an extremely complex job.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>"Why bother?"

Oh, and I've got one more thing to say. I'd be just as happy with my car if it had halogen headlamps and the FOMOCO 5-spd auto transmission. I don't feel that either of those changes significantly improved the operation of the car, but they sure did complicate its up-keep.

That is all...
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 02-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

I'm dreading when a HID bulb goes as they are awkward to change and expensive.

HIDs are OK but I've had halogens in cars and they also were OK.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Did you all not see the link in post #10?

Old 02-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Things have got even tougher since then - partly due to people blinding others with inadequate conversions I expect.

Plus that thread doesn't look to mention the need to let the insurer know you've made an illegal modification.

I really don't know why people do it. It's so much easier and vastly cheaper to go to a higher output halogen.

Warspite (02-03-2016)

Quick Reply: Is it possible 2 go from a reg headlight assembly to a xenon assembly?