Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Electrical Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possible Electrical Problem?

2000 S-Type Jaguar. 3 Litre - V 6, Westminster Blue

Hello, folks. Just had a tune up including new head gaskets. Purrs like jungle cat.

It's been like this for a while now, but my inside adjustor for the outside rear-view windows (both sides) stopped working. Now, the inside trunk button does not open the trunk.

The mechanic tried the fuses with no luck, and he had an automotive electrician (don't know him) look at it without success.

Anybody with similar difficulties have a solution? I'd really rather not take it to a Jaguar dealer.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I would recommend doing a hard reset first; do you know how to do that?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

+1 to Gus' advice provided above. I would still think of two possible causes: 1) Blown Fuse 2) Possible switch failure - both mirror and power trunk release but would lean towards the fuse being blown.

That fuse should be under the passenger side front foot well panel.

If I get a chance I'll peek at my owner's manual and let you know what fuse to test...

Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 AM

The mechanic mentioned a "reset", but I don't think he knows how to do it. I don't either. He went online and found the fuse schematic, and he replaced the one in question, but it did no good.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Steerforth
The mechanic mentioned a "reset", but I don't think he knows how to do it. I don't either. He went online and found the fuse schematic, and he replaced the one in question, but it did no good.
Which fuse was changed? Just looked through the Owner's Manual - the closest fuse matching your electric mirror motors would be Fuse #7 in passenger compartment fuse box (5 amp mini) - but doubt that's it as you would not have No PCM as this fuse controls the same circuit.

I would get a multimeter and test each fuse in both the passenger compartment and Luggage compartments to identify the burnt fuse. (if any)

Old 10-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

For the trunk, is the valet button pushed in the glovebox?

The following users liked this post:
Steerforth (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
For the trunk, is the valet button pushed in the glovebox?

It is with great but humble pleasure that I announce the solution to the inside trunk button problem.

Now, where's the button for the mirror adjustors?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Um, the mirror adjuster button is on the driver's side - door panel - (just to clarify - there is no button like the valet button in the glovbe box to shut off mirror function) Make sure detent selector in front of the mirror direction switch is detented to left (driver) or right (passenger) to control that mirror's function.

Possibility the mirror control switch could be shot. Check fuse as outlined above.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
Um, the mirror adjuster button is on the driver's side - door panel - (just to clarify - there is no button like the valet button in the glovbe box to shut off mirror function) Make sure detent selector in front of the mirror direction switch is detented to left (driver) or right (passenger) to control that mirror's function.

Possibility the mirror control switch could be shot. Check fuse as outlined above.
Of course, I was joking. I knew about the trunk button in the glove compartment but had forgotten because I never use it. Must have gotten activated accidently.

What about the "hard reset" that Gus mentioned?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone please help? i have an 03 s type r and recently the battery died and i am now having all sorts of issues since. My dash shows park brake fault, the airbag sign and the abs light and just now i had to wait 3 hours in the cold at 11 pm waiting for someone to come and jump me, once the car was jumped and started it showed park brake fault, i tried to restart the car and once it turned on the messages on the dash remained i also tried to apply the park brake and turn it off but the signs continued and the car wouldnt budge once i put it in drive it just sat there. i dont know what to do i spent my hard earned money buying this car and its driving me crazy im very stressed out about this car since its all i use to get around to work and to school, if someone could help me figure out what is going on or if someone had a similar issue and knows what i can do i would appreciate it beyond measure.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by 03Styper1919
Can someone please help? i have an 03 s type r and recently the battery died and i am now having all sorts of issues since. My dash shows park brake fault, the airbag sign and the abs light and just now i had to wait 3 hours in the cold at 11 pm waiting for someone to come and jump me, once the car was jumped and started it showed park brake fault, i tried to restart the car and once it turned on the messages on the dash remained i also tried to apply the park brake and turn it off but the signs continued and the car wouldnt budge once i put it in drive it just sat there. i dont know what to do i spent my hard earned money buying this car and its driving me crazy im very stressed out about this car since its all i use to get around to work and to school, if someone could help me figure out what is going on or if someone had a similar issue and knows what i can do i would appreciate it beyond measure.
Have the battery tested. Odds are you will need to purchase a new battery.