Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible J-Gate problem with 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible J-Gate problem with 2nd gear

Hi all,

I noticed an issue manually selecting 2nd gear when test driving my STR (I bought it about two months ago). Namely, I can't select 2nd at any time - the "2" indicator does not light up (all the other positions light up appropriately), and the transmission does not hold or downshift to 2nd gear. I have tried to select 2nd while parked, driving slowly, driving more quickly (30-40mph), sport mode, non-sport mode, and nothing has worked so far. The transmission itself is 100% fine as far as I can tell - shifts are smooth, downshifts are timely, and when left in "Drive" 2nd gear is used just as it normally should be. The only problem is I can't seem to manually select it. Is there something I'm missing, or is there a switch that may have gone bad?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Have you checked the shift linkage?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Have you checked the shift linkage?
I have not - should I be specifically looking at the two bolts that I've read about that seem to loosen up on some people (or fall out!), or does the entire linkage bear inspecting?

Additionally, the detents or "stops" seem pretty vague to me - to the point that it's really hard to know which gear I've selected without looking. Does that also point to the linkage, or is that a different issue?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by crt_ben
I have not - should I be specifically looking at the two bolts that I've read about that seem to loosen up on some people (or fall out!), or does the entire linkage bear inspecting?

Additionally, the detents or "stops" seem pretty vague to me - to the point that it's really hard to know which gear I've selected without looking. Does that also point to the linkage, or is that a different issue?
I would start at the linkage, check it all, not just the bolts. Also, the surround around the shifter just pops off, so I would check in there as well. As far as the weak detents...That has always been a complaint about the design. Car and Driver hates it more than most! That said, one of the best things to do in that case is ask your local dealer to let you test out any S types they may have on the lot. All of them got the same shifter so comparing how the shifter feels in a different car should give you some insight as to what might be a problem and what is normal. Just remember to test an 03 and up car...

Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Cable streached, and or out of adjustment, adjust first and if it looses adjustment again the cable sheath is loose inside the crimp and needs to be replaced

Old 03-19-2010, 01:24 PM

Thank you JOsworth and Brutal. I'll investigate what you have mentioned.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 AM

Hey all,

I'm reviving this nearly four year old post as I still have the problem described in the original post; everything remains exactly the same as I described originally. As suggested I checked the bolts and linkages (years ago) - everything was 100%.

As part of installing the rear-seat entertainment system awhile back, I had the covers off the center console area and I noted the linkage does not physically move when selecting gears 2-3-4. The linkage moves when selecting P, R, N, D, and 5, however moving from 5-4 or between 4, 3 and 2 results in no movement of the physical linkage. Please note 4 and 3 are selectable and work normally for me so this is presumably working as designed. A circular switch looking thing does turn as a result of the shifter movement, so I am guessing 4-3-2 are selected electronically once the linkage is physically moved over to the J-gate side of the shifter. This might imply the switch is broken for the '2' position, but I'm just guessing. Can any of the Jaguar techs chime in as to whether they have seen this before or what the fault may be?

I have (free) access to an indy shop with a Mongoose so I can play around with settings and flashing all I want. So if there's anything to check in the computers, please mention that as well.

I found this post with a related problem - this person was unable to select any of the electronically selected gears, i.e. 2-3-4: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...smooth-104031/

Thanks,
Ben

Old 02-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

So after 4 years with this problem you still have not replaced the shifter cable??

Replace the cable and then report back.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:59 PM

tbird,

The cable does not physically move when selecting gears 2-3-4. Absolutely everything aside from gear 2, including electronically selected gears 3 and 4, have worked 100% reliably for over four years. Therefore I cannot suspect the shift cable, as something else would have gone wrong in that amount of time.

Thanks,
Ben

Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

You seem to have ruled out a fault, yet say it is faulty. I've no idea how this can be!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
You seem to have ruled out a fault, yet say it is faulty. I've no idea how this can be!
I'd appreciate if you read my posts. Far from faulty, I specifically stated the shift linkage is 100%; can you really believe if it were loose and/or failing it wouldn't have degraded further over four years of daily driving? For your convenience the relevant part of my recent revival post is below:

I had the covers off the center console area and I noted the linkage does not physically move when selecting gears 2-3-4. The linkage moves when selecting P, R, N, D, and 5, however moving from 5-4 or between 4, 3 and 2 results in no movement of the physical linkage. Please note 4 and 3 are selectable and work normally for me so this is presumably working as designed. A circular switch looking thing does turn as a result of the shifter movement, so I am guessing 4-3-2 are selected electronically once the linkage is physically moved over to the J-gate side of the shifter. This might imply the switch is broken for the '2' position, but I'm just guessing.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

You seem to have ignored its other end. Why?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 AM

You seem to have ignored its other end. Why?
I'm really not trying to be rude - but please read what I post; I try to state things clearly and concisely for good reason. Copied from my initial revival post is a sentence below. The bolts in question are the 8mm bolts on the transmission end of the linkage as suggested to me originally four years ago.

"As suggested I checked the bolts and linkages (years ago) - everything was 100%. "

Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

There you are, there really cannot be a fault.

How about using a Mongoose JLR + IDS/SDD...

Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM

There you are, there really cannot be a fault.

How about using a Mongoose JLR + IDS/SDD...
I agree the linkage is seemingly not at fault. As the selection of gears 2-3-4 appears to be electronic, i.e. selected by switches rather than linkage movements, and gears 3 and 4 work, my best guess is the switch for 2nd is broken somehow. What I don't know is what type of switch it is; mechanical contact, magnetic reed etc, and if it could be repaired or if it's best to replace.

What puzzles me the most is this doesn't seem to be a common issue at all; there are lots of posts about linkage problems but only the one I mentioned about selecting 2-3-4. The switch may be largely reliable and I'm just unlucky, leading to a dearth of information; who knows? I suppose if I don't find any other info I can ask my indie how much to replace the rotating switch.

Thanks,
Ben

Old 02-26-2015, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben, i have the same issue on the stype i have just picked up. It will not select 2nd manually. However the lever physically will not move on mine passed 3rd

Old 02-26-2015, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member

Car info?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99 s-type 3litre auto. When in D in seems to use 2nd when it goes up though the box. I can select 4th and 3rd manually no problem. But there is mechanical resistance when i try to push the lever forward to 2nd.

Thanks

Gavin

Old 02-26-2015, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

You have a completely different box - Ford 5R55N - with separate faults. Please read existing threads or start your own. It'll help you to do this:

Old 02-26-2015, 07:43 AM

Gavhowe,

Best of luck resolving your issue.

All,

To provide a kind-of-update, my indy looked at the problem, reviewed information available via Jaguar and IATN, and recommended replacing the circuit board below the shifter which sends the electronic (i.e. non-linkage) commands to the transmission. It was going to cost a few hundred dollars and I declined the repair for now. Some days it would be fun to have 2nd manually selectable, but I'm not so flush with cash that it's worth it right now.

Ben

Quick Reply: Possible J-Gate problem with 2nd gear